Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 23, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump Is Pulling Out Of Syria
RE: Donald Trump Is Pulling Out Of Syria
(December 21, 2018 at 10:26 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 21, 2018 at 2:36 am)Maketakunai Wrote: You are aware that the the Obama administration was supplying "rebels" in Syria with weapons from Croatia to take out Assad, right? That all came out in 2015. Trump stopped funding the "rebels" in 2017 and about 8 months later declared ISIS was no longer a threat in Syria. Who do you think those "rebels " are exactly?

Obama had the CIA funding and training the Free Syrian Army to overthrow the Syrian government since around 2011. As it turns out, the FSA collaborates quite a bit with Al Qaeda. By 2017 intelligence was reporting that FSA was primarily Al Qaeda. Let's backtrack -  From 2011 to 2014 Al Qaeda supported ISIS openly. Even though they broke ties formally, they still support each other when it's convenient. Right now there are so many groups in Syria that it's really just not worth the effort to try to keep track of them all. We can't treat them all like allies, and we can't treat them all like enemies. Here's a map from May, 2018 that shows what I mean.

The only thing anyone knows for sure is that without money from America, ISIS control has been reduced to holding a miniscule portion of the country. That only took about 8 months after President Trump cut off the flow of arms and equipment. And, like I wrote earlier, as long as we can get carriers into the Mediterranean we really don't need to put American lives at risk for this cluster-fuck.

Russian barrel bombs and chemical weapons have more to do with ISIS current predicament than scrotus does, lol.  You're not talking to a person who has problems with arming and training rebels, with me.  Personally, I think the failure to follow up directly on our red line back in the day was one of the worst mistakes of the obama presidency.

As you say.... 

I don't have a problem arming rebels, per se. I was born in a country that only exists because of a rebellion... The situation in Syria is pretty FUBAR though. We're supporting rebels we like who are supporting people we want to kill (and who want to kill us). Not all, but maybe some of this could have been avoided if we would have just assassinated Assad outright instead of open-secretly supplying the locals with arms and equipment to do the job just so Obama wouldn't have to take another political hit. 

I know that opens up all sorts of ethical and moral questions, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I think Syria has been more trouble than it's worth to the U.S.. I'd rather see the money we're wasting there used to build a wall on our southern border, but that's a whole other conversation.
(December 22, 2018 at 2:47 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 21, 2018 at 5:06 pm)Amarok Wrote: I'm not a fan of arming rebel groups history shows that it often goes poorly . Yet another reason I don't support militia's .

So NOW you tell me.

Signed

Geo. Washington
Yup Washington was a success (depending on who you ask) too bad the same can't be said for the majority of said movements
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 21, 2018 at 10:26 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 21, 2018 at 2:36 am)Maketakunai Wrote: You are aware that the the Obama administration was supplying "rebels" in Syria with weapons from Croatia to take out Assad, right? That all came out in 2015. Trump stopped funding the "rebels" in 2017 and about 8 months later declared ISIS was no longer a threat in Syria. Who do you think those "rebels " are exactly?

Obama had the CIA funding and training the Free Syrian Army to overthrow the Syrian government since around 2011. As it turns out, the FSA collaborates quite a bit with Al Qaeda. By 2017 intelligence was reporting that FSA was primarily Al Qaeda. Let's backtrack -  From 2011 to 2014 Al Qaeda supported ISIS openly. Even though they broke ties formally, they still support each other when it's convenient. Right now there are so many groups in Syria that it's really just not worth the effort to try to keep track of them all. We can't treat them all like allies, and we can't treat them all like enemies. Here's a map from May, 2018 that shows what I mean.

The only thing anyone knows for sure is that without money from America, ISIS control has been reduced to holding a miniscule portion of the country. That only took about 8 months after President Trump cut off the flow of arms and equipment. And, like I wrote earlier, as long as we can get carriers into the Mediterranean we really don't need to put American lives at risk for this cluster-fuck.

Russian barrel bombs and chemical weapons have more to do with ISIS current predicament than scrotus does, lol.  You're not talking to a person who has problems with arming and training rebels, with me.  Personally, I think the failure to follow up directly on our red line back in the day was one of the worst mistakes of the obama presidency.

In Syria, the people who had the most trouble with arming and training rebels were the original rebels themselves. They were on the ground and knew what needed to happen, and knew turning non-violent protests into tribal civil war wasn't going to go well.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(December 22, 2018 at 2:50 am)Maketakunai Wrote: I know that opens up all sorts of ethical and moral questions, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I think Syria has been more trouble than it's worth to the U.S.. I'd rather see the money we're wasting there used to build a wall on our southern border, but that's a whole other conversation.

Everything is more trouble than it's worth when we half ass it then quit.  Remaining the worlds indispensable nation, however..is priceless.  

WALL is an equally bad idea.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 22, 2018 at 6:53 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:
(December 22, 2018 at 2:50 am)Maketakunai Wrote: I know that opens up all sorts of ethical and moral questions, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that I think Syria has been more trouble than it's worth to the U.S.. I'd rather see the money we're wasting there used to build a wall on our southern border, but that's a whole other conversation.

Everything is more trouble than it's worth when we half ass it then quit.  Remaining the worlds indispensable nation, however..is priceless.  

Yeah half assing it is doomed to have consequences in the future and yes the wall sucks as an idea
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 22, 2018 at 6:53 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:

Unfortunately, since America wants to maintain the illusion that we don't topple other governments or try to control the laws and policies of lesser (yet equally sovereign) nations using methods we would never allow to be used on ourselves... this is what happens. If we were serious about making the world a better place we would just take these little shitholes over outright and be done with it. The truth of the matter is that the American people like being able to buy cheap goods made by women and children who are paid pennies a day. We're pretty comfortable with all the suffering in the world if it makes our lives a little easier. 

We deny it, of course, but most people deny it while continuing to buy cheap goods from overseas. Have you ever had something shipped from overseas? I bought my Xiaomi 365 (the electric scooter Bird uses) in 2017 directly from the manufacturer for $250 and it cost almost $200 to have it shipped from China before all of the Trump tariffs. I can't even begin to imagine how little a car costs to actually build overseas, pay shipping cost, and still  be competitive with an American made car.

Honestly, I'm in favor of just taking over Mexico and making it the 51st state. They're into us for 80 or 90 billion dollars and we give them hundreds of millions of dollars in aid every year. Just annexing them would eliminate a lot of problems for all concerned, including the humanitarian issues, and there would be no debate at all about walls. As I said though, we like stuff made by cheap labor.
Quote:Honestly, I'm in favor of just taking over Mexico and making it the 51st state.

What an astoundingly bad idea.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(December 23, 2018 at 6:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Honestly, I'm in favor of just taking over Mexico and making it the 51st state.

What an astoundingly bad idea.

Boru

Well, we already stole the northern half of it. Might as well finish the job. Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(December 23, 2018 at 10:11 am)Fireball Wrote:
(December 23, 2018 at 6:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What an astoundingly bad idea.

Boru

Well, we already stole the northern half of it. Might as well finish the job. Tongue

True enough, but you might find the Mexicans better able to resist than the Natives.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(December 23, 2018 at 10:52 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 23, 2018 at 10:11 am)Fireball Wrote: Well, we already stole the northern half of it. Might as well finish the job. Tongue

True enough, but you might find the Mexicans better able to resist than the Natives.

Boru

Indeed. FWIW, I don't think stealing the northern part was all that great (as in nice) an idea, either. Above, I was using the imperial "we". My predecessors were still living in Europe when that whole deal went down.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 557 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1485 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Donald Trump is Poor DeistPaladin 55 2645 October 2, 2020 at 6:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Donald Trump Jr. compares border wall to zoo fences that hold animals WinterHold 3 304 January 10, 2019 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Donald Trump Thinks that the F-35 is Invisible to the Naked Eye... ReptilianPeon 32 4914 November 18, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Donald Trump shuts down EPA's climate change website. Jehanne 6 881 November 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Donald Trump's wife says she "could be the most bullied person in the world" Seraphina 22 2955 October 14, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  More obstruction of justice from Donald Trump. Jehanne 6 981 September 11, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Donald Trump Wants To Invade Venezuela...Media Continues to Fixate on Tweets ReptilianPeon 15 3232 July 7, 2018 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Joods
  No Nobel for Donald Trump! So sad!! Jehanne 45 4579 June 6, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Amarok