Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 1:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins)
RE: Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins)
(August 5, 2019 at 12:25 pm)LastPoet Wrote: So John Breezy is a pigeon. I saw that on the first post. The avalanche of evolutionary facts are like fleas to his overwhelming ignorance. Heh, social sciences like psychology are useful, my suster is a psychologist and she's doing a fine job helping people overcome addictions at work. She even invited me to do a lecture at her work, because of my past recovery from drug use. That's good tech job right there.

I learnt many things about that weak science with her, she doesn't accept qualia as decent work in psych research and she is a christian (catholics are christian, right?)

So we see, since the old "eye argument" was shot down, our OP decided to move the goalposts. God of the Gaps.

Any word that is somewhat mysterious and vaguely Latin sounding is good enough to accept as a righteous trope for god.
I fail to see how anything you just said explains the relationship between vision and consciousness. I didn’t ask for a description of blind sight, I was already aware.

It seems to me that if johnism is going to be a credible theory it ought to have explanations for these things. Like evolutionary theory does, with model based control.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 5, 2019 at 12:46 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: I fail to see how anything you just said explains the relationship between vision and consciousness.  I didn’t ask for a description of blind sight, I was already aware.  

It seems to me that if johnism is going to be a credible theory it ought to have explanations for these things.

My apologies, your post made seem as if you wanted a description of blind sight. Certainly, when you see the color red you are experiencing that in consciousness. Not to sound condescending but the relationship between vision and consciousness seems self-explanatory, so I'm not what you're asking for specifically?
(August 5, 2019 at 2:25 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(August 5, 2019 at 2:18 am)Grandizer Wrote: Yes, and it turned out to be wrong when scientists came up with better explanation ...

No, I'm sure it turned out to be wrong when it became inconsistent with observations. Theories are not disconfirmed by hotter theories.

Why didn’t you answer my question? Do you believe that Jesus is the son of god, died for your sins, and was resurrected by God the Father? Is a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. You call yourself a Christian, yet here you are on an atheist forum afraid to admit to your beliefs.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
If it seems self explanatory, then how could it be a gap in any account, including an evolutionary one?

No. No. You think it’s something that requires explaining. Additionally, you think theories like those -should- have such explanations. Well, evolutionary biology has a credible explanation for it, johnism has a gap.

What should we make of that? Shall I refer to your other previous statements for inspiration?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 5, 2019 at 10:34 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(August 5, 2019 at 10:22 am)Grandizer Wrote: IF (and the key word here is "if") consciousness is not biological at the core, then biological evolution has nothing to do with it. It makes no sense to use the theory to make it account for its existence. If, on the other hand, consciousness is really just the complex brain functioning in a way that allows for such vivid self-experiences then evolution accounts for that perfectly through the proper understanding of how the neurons work together to yield consciousness. Again, where is the problem exactly?

Another mistake you're making is equivocating consciousness with life. Not all living organisms are necessarily conscious. Unless you think bacteria do ...

I guess I'm not understanding why, if consciousness isn't biological, that's not problem for evolution? It would perhaps even be a problem for every physical science we have.

Because evolution is to do with the biological aspects of the world, not the non-biological. You can't undermine the theory with something it's not meant to account for.

Why would consciousness being something different from what is normally accepted be a problem for every physical science?

Quote:That's not an equivocation I've made. It doesn't matter if not all living organisms have consciousness, as long as only living organisms do.

But there's nothing to suggest that the organically "nonliving" can't ever have consciousness. AI might one day have what we could reasonably call consciousness, you never know.
(August 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(August 5, 2019 at 12:25 pm)LastPoet Wrote: So John Breezy is a pigeon. I saw that on the first post. The avalanche of evolutionary facts are like fleas to his overwhelming ignorance. Heh, social sciences like psychology are useful, my suster is a psychologist and she's doing a fine job helping people overcome addictions at work. She even invited me to do a lecture at her work, because of my past recovery from drug use. That's good tech job right there.

I learnt many things about that weak science with her, she doesn't accept qualia as decent work in psych research and she is a christian (catholics are christian, right?)

So we see, since the old "eye argument" was shot down, our OP decided to move the goalposts. God of the Gaps.

A lot of people are unaware that psychologists study the brain, and only a subset are clinicians and therapists. So its nice to see someone knows the difference between clinical and experimental aspects of psychology.

(August 5, 2019 at 2:24 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote: It's customary. Unless your M.O is to run into random forums flailing your arms around.

Ah its customary. I like customs. Well, since I'm new can you send me the link to your introductory post? It'll help me have a reference for when I write my own.

https://atheistforums.org/thread-59494.html

I see you are proficient in whataboutism.  I'll be praying for you.

Blessings. RAmen
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-da...ist_Church
(August 4, 2019 at 10:49 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Evolution has a destination, and a limited number of paths it can get there (too limited in my opinion)

Well, that is a flat out lie.
(August 5, 2019 at 12:57 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: If it seems self explanatory, then how could it be a gap in any account, including an evolutionary one?

No. No.  You think it’s something that requires explaining.  Additionally, you think theories like those -should- have such explanations.  Well, evolutionary biology has a credible explanation for it, johnism has a gap.

What should we make of that?  Shall I refer to your other previous statements for inspiration?

Referring me to previous statements would be helpful, since its easy to lose track of the different conversations. 

Again, I don't know what you're requesting when you ask for the relationship. That being said, evolutionary biology doesn't try to explain how these relationships work necessarily, just how they came about. So I can explain to you perfectly how a given system works, and it still falls on the shoulders of evolutionists to explain how it came to be. They're two separate things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 10263 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Richard Dawkins claims we should eat lab-grown human meat Alexmahone 83 12399 March 18, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 5552 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy Clueless Morgan 12 2552 July 9, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2225 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Death and Evolution Exian 4 2014 November 2, 2014 at 11:45 am
Last Post: abaris
  Myths and misconceptions about evolution - Alex Gendler Gooders1002 2 2112 July 8, 2013 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 31759 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article Jeffonthenet 99 58199 September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  difference between Micro and macro evolution Gooders1002 21 9482 May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Polaris