Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE Gun Thread
RE: THE Gun Thread
(May 15, 2022 at 8:55 pm)Helios Wrote: Long Gun registration only failed because the Harper Government stripped the law of its teeth and provincial Conservative governments refused to enforce it. Any law fails when there is a significant faction within the government trying to undermine it.

I'm generally against gun culture, but the long gun registry was a billion dollar boondoggle that served no public safety purpose.
(May 15, 2022 at 6:50 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(May 15, 2022 at 6:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and every country in the EU has firearm licensing and registration. All have a lower firearm homicide rate than the US.

So, before you declare it ‘to be highly unlikely to work’, you might want to look a little farther afield than Canada.

Boru
Oh - it would work - if every American rolled over when the government asked....

Think that real likely? (Look north for helpful hints)

If so - you haven' t met many Americans....

We' re an unruly lot...
For the record, I've done a bit of research on this subject: 
  • Several states (Hawaii, New York, Maryland, Michigan, Connecticut, and New Jersey) already require certain types of firearms to be registered.
  • The federal government currently possesses records on the sales of a bit shy of a billion firearms, which are (unfortunately) prohibited by law from being put into a functional, searchable database, but I don't see why, if the law is changed, those records can't be properly digitised (outside of being scanned as  "non-searchable, static images").
  • These records they do have are because, by law, once a firearms dealer goes out of business, their records go (by law) to the ATF. So, it would seem like  the ideal option is to create a provision that active and licensed firearms dealers have to send their records to the ATF even before they go out of business.

This could actually work if the laws are changed, firearms dealer regulations are changed, and the laws are properly enforced. Unless, of course, ATF-licensed firearms dealers are really as unhinged as Biker either is or seems think everyone else is.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote:I'm generally against gun culture, but the long gun registry was a billion dollar boondoggle that served no public safety purpose.
Bullshit Hehe

It would have worked if the Conservatives had not undermined it
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(May 15, 2022 at 11:20 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(May 15, 2022 at 6:50 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Oh - it would work - if every American rolled over when the government asked....

We' re an unruly lot...
For the record, I've done a bit of research on this subject: 
  • Several states (Hawaii, New York, Maryland, Michigan, Connecticut, and New Jersey) already require certain types of firearms to be registered.
  • The federal government currently possesses records on the sales of a bit shy of a billion firearms, which are (unfortunately) prohibited by law from being put into a functional, searchable database, but I don't see why, if the law is changed, those records can't be properly digitised (outside of being scanned as  "non-searchable, static images").
  • These records they do have are because, by law, once a firearms dealer goes out of business, their records go (by law) to the ATF. So, it would seem like  the ideal option is to create a provision that active and licensed firearms dealers have to send their records to the ATF even before they go out of business.

This could actually work if the laws are changed, firearms dealer regulations are changed, and the laws are properly enforced. Unless, of course, ATF-licensed firearms dealers are really as unhinged as Biker either is or seems think everyone else is.

Pistols.  7 states and DC register pistols. And Commiefornia registers scary looking rifles.

And your proposed database is full of shit.

Once out of an FFL there IS NO TRACKING OF SALES. (Except the pistols ( at state level) and California scary rifles) as there is no requirement.

This means your proposed database would be totally inaccurate.

AND - FFL.dealers have been allowed to destroy records after 20 years. ATF does not have records from businesses that have been open over 20 years.

And pistols - if a gun owner.moves to a state that does not register handguns IT IS EFFECTIVELY OUT OF ANY REGISTRY as no requirement for registering exists.

Know what you are talking about instead of spewing, bub...
Yes, and I pointed out that the laws would have to be changed to allow the registry to exist, and on a federal level. And it looks like no longer allowing the destruction of old records (plus requiring current FFLs to send copies of their records to the ATF) would have to be a provision.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It continues to fascinate me that a country that - so far this year - has averaged 1.4 mass shootings per day doesn’t see a problem.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 15, 2022 at 7:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 15, 2022 at 6:50 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Oh - it would work - if every American rolled over when the government asked....

We' re an unruly lot...

It’s very true that I haven’t met a lot of Americans. As far as you being an unruly lot, that’s why we’re having this conversation. 198 mass shootings just this year.

Boru
If 1 mass murder with gun per 48 hours wont make people like OLB rethink their position, what do you think will?
I have made up my mind, thats why i stopped participating in these kinda discussions, particularly with people like OLB.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(May 16, 2022 at 4:27 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It continues to fascinate me that a country that - so far this year - has averaged 1.4 mass shootings per day doesn’t see a problem.

Boru

You don't understand, just ignore the mass killings, guns will keep you safe!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 16, 2022 at 6:11 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote:
(May 16, 2022 at 4:27 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It continues to fascinate me that a country that - so far this year - has averaged 1.4 mass shootings per day doesn’t see a problem.

Boru

You don't understand, just ignore the mass killings, guns will keep you safe!

It’s like they’re in a leaking boat and the best solution they can come up with is to knock more holes in the boat in the hope that the water will flow back out.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 16, 2022 at 4:38 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(May 15, 2022 at 7:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s very true that I haven’t met a lot of Americans. As far as you being an unruly lot, that’s why we’re having this conversation. 198 mass shootings just this year.

Boru
If 1 mass murder with gun per 48 hours wont make people like OLB rethink their position, what do you think will?
I have made up my mind, thats why i stopped participating in these kinda discussions, particularly with people like OLB.
Yet here you are.....

Schrodinger' s poster.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gun Control Leonardo17 38 1804 November 12, 2023 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why have a gun? onlinebiker 91 4196 April 6, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Gun Church buys 40-Acre Compound Foxaèr 12 1224 May 28, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2988 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 10587 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
  This Is NOT A Gun Control Thread!! BrianSoddingBoru4 34 1870 February 28, 2020 at 4:15 pm
  Yes, Kids - ANOTHER Gun Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1296 September 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm
  More gun deaths zebo-the-fat 42 4110 September 6, 2019 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Vince
  New Gun Regulations In The US Would Be Really, Really Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 135 12683 May 6, 2019 at 4:55 am
  "A good guy with a gun" saves the day, only to be shot dead himself Aegon 30 3352 November 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda