Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting the Flat-Earth theory
RE: Refuting the Flat-Earth theory
(April 1, 2023 at 1:09 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(April 1, 2023 at 12:54 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: So they'll share the same space at some point. Interesting.

No, the Sun is obviously farther away from us than the Moon is (as Solar eclipses make it obvious).

:obviously:
https://www.livescience.com/flat-earth-w...fects.html
On a flat earth, you will be able to plot out an exact square with 2 of the sides perfectly aligned north and south anywhere on earth.

Yet on this earth, that is not so.   If you try with precision survey instrument you would find it is utterly impossible to do on anywhere on earth except at the equator.   The farther from equator you go, the more impossible it gets.   By the time you go really really far north or south, you would find you would have to, and can, completely delete one of the square’s four sides to make it into a remarkable equilateral triangle with extraordinarily 2 right angle corners in order to keep 2 of the sides exactly aligned north-south.   This remains true whether you use true (celestial) North or magnetic North.  

You can use the location of the square and exact deviation of the sides of a square from perfect north south alignment to work out the exact size of the spherical earth. .

Ask any halfway competent 18th artillery gunner why guns aimed exactly on target hits on target if aimed to the east or west, and guns aimed to the north and south systematically miss the target and fall towards one side.

These are all tests that can be done right where you are, don’t need to circumnavigate the globe to prove it is round.
(April 1, 2023 at 1:40 pm)Deesse23 Wrote: What i am talking about is basic trigonometry.
If Earth is a globe vs Earth being a disk is fundamentally different, particularly near the south pole. Of course most people focus on the norhtern hemisphere, because an overwhelming amjority lives there.

Yet, based on osservations, the glaring difference in the resulting geometry when looking at the sky (between sitting on the outer part of the disc vs sitting on the bottom of a ball) will tell you if the Earth is a globe or a disc. But i am certain that flat earthers will just ignore this like anything else.

I know Flat Assembler is not a flat earther, i was just trying to show him how to lead one.....one that is not either a troll or completely ignorant.
I don't understand your argument. If the Earth were flat:
1) If the stars are very far away, everybody on Earth would see the same stars. Constellations wouldn't shift at all.
2) If the stars were relatively close to us, then the constellations would indeed shift. But the constellations would have different shapes depending on the place we are looking at them. There would be perspective distortions, and, unless we assume all the stars in the same constellation were equally far away from us, there would be parallaxes.
Either way, it would be trivial to tell that the Earth is not round from the observations from the northern hemisphere alone.
(April 1, 2023 at 5:24 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(April 1, 2023 at 1:40 pm)Deesse23 Wrote: What i am talking about is basic trigonometry.
If Earth is a globe vs Earth being a disk is fundamentally different, particularly near the south pole. Of course most people focus on the norhtern hemisphere, because an overwhelming amjority lives there.

Yet, based on osservations, the glaring difference in the resulting geometry when looking at the sky (between sitting on the outer part of the disc vs sitting on the bottom of a ball) will tell you if the Earth is a globe or a disc. But i am certain that flat earthers will just ignore this like anything else.

I know Flat Assembler is not a flat earther, i was just trying to show him how to lead one.....one that is not either a troll or completely ignorant.
1) If the stars are very far away, everybody on Earth would see the same stars. Constellations wouldn't shift at all.
2) If the stars were relatively close to us, then the constellations would indeed shift. But the constellations would have different shapes depending on the place we are looking at them. There would be perspective distortions, and, unless we assume all the stars in the same constellation were equally far away from us, there would be parallaxes.
Either way, it would be trivial to tell that the Earth is not round from the observations from the northern hemisphere alone.

No, the same stars and constellations appear in different directions depending on your latitude and absolute or greenwich time..   if the earth was flat then the difference in apparent direction of the star at different latitudes can only be explained by the stars being close to earth compare to the distance spanned by the latitudes.   if the stars and constellations me were really that close to earth then the shape of constellations would be foreshortened differently by perspective depending on the latitude. 

that is not the case.    the shape of the constellation is exactly the same no matter where the observer is on earth, yet the direction of the constellations are different from different latitudes.   that can only be explained by curvature of the earth.   and if you tabulate how the earth must be curved at different latitudes as well as longitudes based on the directionn of the constellation as seen from different locations and at different times, the you would find the earth curves all the way around in every direction and is thus a sphere, or at least an ellipsoid.
(April 1, 2023 at 5:35 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 1, 2023 at 5:24 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I don't understand your argument. If the Earth were flat:

No, the same stars and constellations appear in different directions depending on your latitude and absolute or greenwich time..   if the earth was flat then the difference in apparent direction of the star at different latitudes can only be explained by the stars being close to earth compare to the distance spanned by the latitudes.   if the stars and constellations me were really that close to earth then the shape of constellations would be foreshortened differently by perspective depending on the latitude. 

that is not the case.    the shape of the constellation is exactly the same no matter where the observer is on earth, yet the direction of the constellations are different from different latitudes.   that can only be explained by curvature of the earth.   and if you tabulate how the earth must be curved at different latitudes as well as longitudes based on the directionn of the constellation as seen from different locations and at different times, the you would find the earth curves all the way around in every direction and is thus a sphere, or at least an ellipsoid.

Which is basically what I said.
If the Earth is flat show me a photo of you looking over the edge.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If the earth is round how come it doesn’t roll off the back of the turtle?
J
(April 1, 2023 at 5:24 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:

On a flat earth, two people in Cape Town and Melbourne, looking out at the same time (8hrs apart on their clocks), facing due south, near the horizon. Can they see the same stuff in the sky (stars being near or far is completely irrelevant when you are looking in completely different directions)? Nope, because they are looking at 120° different directions. Basic trigonometry of a circle: Two rays going outside from the center (= due north in the flat earth model) do not meet (only after crossing the entire universe once maybe).
Now call Cape Town and Melbourne and ask them what they see.
Naughty

But thats not the only thing blatantly not in accordance with basic observations regarding flat earth. My suspicion is that some trolls started this, and now countless idiots got sucked in.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(April 2, 2023 at 6:06 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(April 1, 2023 at 5:24 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: I don't understand your argument. If the Earth were flat:
On a flat earth, two people in Cape Town and Melbourne, looking out at the same time (8hrs apart on their clocks), facing due south, near the horizon. Can they see the same stuff in the sky (stars being near or far is completely irrelevant when you are looking in completely different directions)? Nope, because they are looking at 120° different directions. Basic trigonometry of a circle: Two rays going outside from the center (= due north in the flat earth model) do not meet (only after crossing the entire universe once maybe).
Now call Cape Town and Melbourne and ask them what they see.
Naughty

But thats not the only thing blatantly not in accordance with basic observations regarding flat earth. My suspicion is that some trolls started this, and now countless idiots got sucked in.

Once again, I don't understand the argument you are making. According to the Round Earth Theory, people from Cape Town and Melburne looking at the sky at the same time will not see exactly the same stars. Stars rise and set during the night. If you move towards the east, some stars that have already set where you were will be visible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flat earhers voodoo child 51 4178 July 9, 2024 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  truth about game theory, bad or good for the world? Quill01 13 2503 August 21, 2021 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Difference between religion & conspiracy theory? Fake Messiah 2 1172 February 7, 2021 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Should Flat-Earthers be debated or ignored? EgoDeath 180 16784 January 24, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Creationist, flat Earth, antivaxer etc stuff Dave B 26 5629 December 21, 2017 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Music What is your opinion on Flat Earth theory? MitjaHD 91 20111 August 8, 2017 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Research "Flat Earth" Silver 20 5140 June 17, 2017 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The greatest conspiracy theory ever Laza 47 12414 September 14, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The dumbest conspiracy theory yet CapnAwesome 17 7837 April 28, 2013 at 6:33 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Do any 'leading/accomplished' scientists support young earth theory? GhostofZeus 22 12906 June 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye