Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting the Flat-Earth theory
Refuting the Flat-Earth theory
I am thinking about making a YouTube video refuting the Flat Earth Theory, as a former Flat-Earther. Here are the arguments I am planning to use:

1) The dip of the horizon. Flat-Earthers often claim that the horizon is always at your eye-level, like here:
https://theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tik...erspective Wrote:A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer.
But that is demonstrably not the case. You can observe that in two ways:
a) You can see the sunset twice if you watch the sunset sitting down and then quickly stand up (the sun stays at your eye level, but the horizon imperceptibly falls).
b) You can measure it directly from an airplane using a device with a camera and a gyroscope (like almost all modern mobile phones):
[Image: horizon-dip.jpg]
The formula for the dip of the horizon is easily derived from the Round Earth Theory, as anybody who knows high-school mathematics can confirm:
[Image: Diagram.png]
[Image: formula.png]
And here we see how is the Round Earth Theory superior to the Flat Earth Theory: it makes such simple and testable predictions. It seems to me that you can never derive an exact formula for anything from the Flat Earth Theory.

2) Why does the gravitational acceleration (9.8m/s2) decrease measurably when you climb up on a mountain? And how is your answer compatible with the rest of the Flat Earth Theory? You don't get to both claim gravity doesn't exist (and that that's why gravity doesn't cause the Flat Earth to collapse under its own weight) and that stars have a gravitational field.

3) If GPS is land-based, how come are GPS devices capable of telling your location, including your elevation, with just three signals? The simple truth is, when you know distance from three points, you can calculate two points where you might be. Those points will be different, mostly in elevation. If GPS devices receive signals from satellites, they can eliminate the point that's above the satellites as impossible. If they receive signals from land-based emitters, they cannot do that.

4) Polar day and polar night on Antarctica. If time zones work the way you claim they do, they would be impossible.

5) A bit of a soft question: Can you point me to any scientific discovery that was made using anything resembling your methods, by making countless ad-hoc hypotheses and asserting massive conspiracies? Yes, science has been wrong before, but scientists were almost always simply mistaken, not lying. Especially not massively colluding with each other.

Do you think that I should change something or add something?
RE: Refuting the Flat-Earth theory
[Image: x8FMoRw.gif]

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

If the world was flat cats would have knocked everything off by now.

Theory disproved.

Moving on.
Dying to live, living to die.
For a moment there, I thought you had changed your avatar to that of an armored chicken.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 29, 2023 at 11:19 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: I am thinking about making a YouTube video refuting the Flat Earth Theory, as a former Flat-Earther. Here are the arguments I am planning to use:

1) The dip of the horizon. Flat-Earthers often claim that the horizon is always at your eye-level, like here:
https://theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tik...erspective Wrote:A fact of basic perspective is that the line of the horizon is always at eye level with the observer.
But that is demonstrably not the case. You can observe that in two ways:
a) You can see the sunset twice if you watch the sunset sitting down and then quickly stand up (the sun stays at your eye level, but the horizon imperceptibly falls).
b) You can measure it directly from an airplane using a device with a camera and a gyroscope (like almost all modern mobile phones):
[Image: horizon-dip.jpg]
The formula for the dip of the horizon is easily derived from the Round Earth Theory, as anybody who knows high-school mathematics can confirm:
[Image: Diagram.png]
[Image: formula.png]
And here we see how is the Round Earth Theory superior to the Flat Earth Theory: it makes such simple and testable predictions. It seems to me that you can never derive an exact formula for anything from the Flat Earth Theory.

2) Why does the gravitational acceleration (9.8m/s2) decrease measurably when you climb up on a mountain? And how is your answer compatible with the rest of the Flat Earth Theory? You don't get to both claim gravity doesn't exist (and that that's why gravity doesn't cause the Flat Earth to collapse under its own weight) and that stars have a gravitational field.

3) If GPS is land-based, how come are GPS devices capable of telling your location, including your elevation, with just three signals? The simple truth is, when you know distance from three points, you can calculate two points where you might be. Those points will be different, mostly in elevation. If GPS devices receive signals from satellites, they can eliminate the point that's above the satellites as impossible. If they receive signals from land-based emitters, they cannot do that.

4) Polar day and polar night on Antarctica. If time zones work the way you claim they do, they would be impossible.

5) A bit of a soft question: Can you point me to any scientific discovery that was made using anything resembling your methods, by making countless ad-hoc hypotheses and asserting massive conspiracies? Yes, science has been wrong before, but scientists were almost always simply mistaken, not lying. Especially not massively colluding with each other.

Do you think that I should change something or add something?

I think you should give up on the idea of bothering to refute this particular bit of idiocy. Why would you waste your time on something like this?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Doesn't hurt to have more people debunking this nonsense I suppose.

Professor Dave has excellent videos on the subject.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

I must have been asleep when the plane went over the edge of the flat world the time when I flew around the world for a business trip.

(If your are based in the US and you have an opportunity to take a business trip to the Middle East, take it, you can swindle an itinerary that let’s you brag about having gone around the world)
Take the morons out to sea. Ships approaching your ship will show their masts first and then the rest of the ship gradually rises over the horizon. If that's an optical illusion the ship's radar is deluded as well, because the radar signature gets larger as more hull appears.
(March 29, 2023 at 2:35 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Take the morons out to sea. Ships approaching your ship will show their masts first and then the rest of the ship gradually rises over the horizon. If that's an optical illusion the ship's radar is deluded as well, because the radar signature gets larger as more hull appears.

This sort of reasoned, not-sensibly-refutable evidence is one of the reasons why efforts to debunk the Flatties are pointless - they won’t believe it. They’ll either ignore the evidence or claim that you somehow jimmied the radar.

Reasoning with nutters is the equivalent of shouting at the rain.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Most of the faithful won't believe anything anyway. You have to speak to the uncertain, the fence sitters. Save a few if you can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  truth about game theory, bad or good for the world? Quill01 13 2210 August 21, 2021 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Difference between religion & conspiracy theory? Fake Messiah 2 1065 February 7, 2021 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Should Flat-Earthers be debated or ignored? EgoDeath 180 13145 January 24, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Creationist, flat Earth, antivaxer etc stuff Dave B 26 5006 December 21, 2017 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Music What is your opinion on Flat Earth theory? MitjaHD 91 17710 August 8, 2017 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Research "Flat Earth" Foxaèr 20 4693 June 17, 2017 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The greatest conspiracy theory ever Laza 47 11521 September 14, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The dumbest conspiracy theory yet CapnAwesome 17 7459 April 28, 2013 at 6:33 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Do any 'leading/accomplished' scientists support young earth theory? GhostofZeus 22 12440 June 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  23% of Aussies are Young Earth Creationists Justtristo 16 6111 June 18, 2012 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Justtristo