Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
(September 25, 2024 at 6:56 am)Belacqua Wrote: The existence of bots is not in question. I get lots of bots on Twitter, and the amount of influence they have on my voting is exactly zero
...said every person, ever, who got influenced by bots. Because, thats why bots do exist: To influence people without their knowledge or consent. You are dumb like a ...person who would get manipulated by a bot without knowing it.

(September 25, 2024 at 6:56 am)Belacqua Wrote: I have no reason to believe that the US electorate is in any danger from these alleged evil bots. 
Please stop. I already spilled my last cup all over the place. Hilarious
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(September 25, 2024 at 8:43 am)Belacqua Wrote: They're under your bed! They're coming for you!

Oh, hush, child. I notice you didn't bother to deny deploying logical fallacies.

Your next reply to me had better be cogent unless you want to lose audience.

(September 25, 2024 at 10:59 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(September 25, 2024 at 8:43 am)Belacqua Wrote: They're under your bed! They're coming for you!

Oh, hush, child. I notice you didn't bother to deny deploying logical fallacies.

Your next reply to me had better be cogent unless you want to lose audience.

Bel is never going to argue in good faith. That would require intellectual honesty from them, and he simply has none.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(September 25, 2024 at 6:56 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(September 24, 2024 at 10:34 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Do you know how many pro-Trump bots I've blocked on Twitter?

Hundreds.

Joined 2016, 6 followers and no original posts or, in some cases, no reposts.

Dozens of accounts like that alone.

Statistically, even without trying to get followers, you should have a reasonable number after 8 years.

The existence of bots is not in question. I get lots of bots on Twitter, and the amount of influence they have on my voting is exactly zero. I have no reason to believe that the US electorate is in any danger from these alleged evil bots. 

How many of these pro-Trump bots are Russian in origin? Isn't it possible that some Americans are also pro-Trump? To what extent do the bots influence the outcome of an election? 

We assume that other countries are trying to interfere in US elections because we know that the US constantly interferes in elections abroad. (See: Victoria Nuland) Also this one: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...dependence

Can you point me to any reputable source which has any evidence that any bots, at any time, have had any influence on an American election? Is the danger so great that we should give up our right to free speech, and let the government control what we are allowed to say on social media? Zuckerberg has already said that the government told him to forbid people on Facebook from making various claims about Covid, some of which turned out to be true, and he regrets having obeyed.

The last time I asked for evidence of Russian influence on elections via Internet, I was pointed to an article about alleged Russians posting on sites for gamers, who were spreading rumors that everybody has already heard a thousand times from other sources: Fox News, Twitter, the usual. The article, among lots and lots of horrible-sounding innuendo, eventually suggested that Putin had "been briefed" about the existence of these gamers. 

So I am more skeptical than most people here. I am looking for evidence from someone other than obvious partisans or known liars.

(Bold mine)

So, election interference is only wrong if it succeeds? By that flimsy ‘logic’, we should stop prosecuting people for attempted murder.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(September 25, 2024 at 8:43 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(September 25, 2024 at 8:29 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Oooh, an argument from personal opinion.

Also, note that you're using charged language that I never "alleged". Fundamentally dishonest .... but you knew that already.

No one said all of them are Russian -- or Chinese, for that matter. This is a strawman, but I'm sure you knew that too.

Here's a tip: if you must be dishonest in order to propound your argument, your argument probably sucks. Case in point here.

They're under your bed! They're coming for you!

So, you're not going to respond in a decent fashion to the counter-arguments?

Can you change your name to bell-end?

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
OK! Everyone's patient and well-reasoned arguments have persuaded me. You win!

I believe that the US government should determine what is and is not misinformation.

I believe the US government should prosecute me if I post what they have deemed to be misinformation.

I do not believe this power could be misused.

Now I'm a good Democrat.
In other news,

Last spring the US Agency for International Development and the State Department's Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration both determined that Israel had illegally withheld food aid to Gaza. The United Nations declared a famine. By law, in such cases the Foreign Assistance Act should be triggered and all taxpayer money to Israel earmarked for weapons would be frozen.

Joe Biden's Secretary of State heard these reports and then told Congress the exact opposite.

Trust the Democrats!
(September 25, 2024 at 6:46 pm)Belacqua Wrote: OK! Everyone's patient and well-reasoned arguments have persuaded me. You win!

I believe that the US government should determine what is and is not misinformation.

I believe the US government should prosecute me if I post what they have deemed to be misinformation.

I do not believe this power could be misused.

Now I'm a good Democrat.

You didn't answer my question.

Bottom of my previous reply.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
Bell-End is quite upset that his Russian disinformation attempts have found zero traction here.  Truce  Hmph
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It's supposed to work on us godless commies, what gives? Quick, back to israel. Vote Donald to save the palestinians! Vote Donald to end the war in ukraine! Donald Trump...the peace candidate.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presidential age upper limit Thumpalumpacus 28 1169 July 13, 2024 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1359 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 26381 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 1063 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 2109 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1250 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 1034 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 6879 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 2019 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2298 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger