Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia and Ukraine
RE: Russia and Ukraine
(Yesterday at 7:43 pm)A. Secular Human Wrote: I only ever look at Wikipedia for the source references, then go all primary, if possible.

Yep, when possible. Of course, many Wiki sources are themselves secondary based on primaries, or even further down the line. At a point it's like digging for truffles with a noseless pig.

That's not to say books are better. You can dig through the bibliography, and find that claim x sourced from book y is based on crap too.

(September 28, 2024 at 2:37 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(September 28, 2024 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The article largely focuses on the work of Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke (an actual historian) who makes the compelling case that occultism in the Third Reich is largely a case of modern mythology and sensationalism. To wit:

Thanks, Brian. That's pretty much the consensus of the many sources, some primary, which I've read. Shirer refers to the rallies as "pagan-like", but that is not the same as "pagan" and a wordsmith like Shirer would be well aware of the distinction. He attended several rallies, including those at Nuremberg, as an accredited journalist, making him a primary source. He also interviewed Speer, the man charged with orchestrating the rallies and designing the accoutrements. Speer reported that Hitler wanted overawing pageantry, not paganism.

Instead of pagan I would call them religious or cult like designed to foster certain atmosphere. And of course there is Hitler religiously loaded language like below quote passage in Mein Kampf*:

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jews, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.

Hitler was canny enough to use religious language seeing as most of the Germany was one or other flavor of christian. I never saw any reputable source claiming that he did not believe or one saying that he was really into mysticism. It's only ever mentioned in context of Himmler when it comes to serious literature, though of course one can consider nazism itself as something quasi religious with it's focus on blood&soil, which hardly fits into this supposedly "rational" ideology.

*https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1057/9780230623989_5
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
(Yesterday at 10:56 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote:
(September 28, 2024 at 2:37 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Thanks, Brian. That's pretty much the consensus of the many sources, some primary, which I've read. Shirer refers to the rallies as "pagan-like", but that is not the same as "pagan" and a wordsmith like Shirer would be well aware of the distinction. He attended several rallies, including those at Nuremberg, as an accredited journalist, making him a primary source. He also interviewed Speer, the man charged with orchestrating the rallies and designing the accoutrements. Speer reported that Hitler wanted overawing pageantry, not paganism.

Instead of pagan I would call them religious or cult like designed to foster certain atmosphere. And of course there is Hitler religiously loaded language like below quote passage in Mein Kampf*:

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jews, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.

Hitler was canny enough to use religious language seeing as most of the Germany was one or other flavor of christian. I never saw any reputable source claiming that he did not believe or one saying that he was really into mysticism. It's only ever mentioned in context of Himmler when it comes to serious literature, though of course one can consider nazism itself as something quasi religious with it's focus on blood&soil, which hardly fits into this supposedly "rational" ideology.

*https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1057/9780230623989_5

Right. Hitler regularly referred to "Providence", which in the Western world is usually interpreted as "God". And yes, Naziism had its own religious overtones, but those were inbuilt and Volkisch rather than appealing to broader pagan stuff.

Hitler appealed much more to Christian tropes ("the Lord, mighty in battle" regarding Barbarossa, and so on) than paganism. The latter was, I think, just one more item the Allies could try to use as propaganda.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China & Russia Silver 32 3340 November 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1830 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 479 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Nato, Sweden, Vilnius, Ukraine etc. Nishant Xavier 53 4419 August 7, 2023 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 8160 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Micheal Cohen lied about Russia Tower deal. Brian37 6 1068 November 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING:Trump Promises Strike on Syria and Warns Russia Against Backing Assad WinterHold 20 4579 April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  We may not be going into WW3 with Russia over Syria after all. Chad32 39 12822 July 16, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  U.S. War Plane Shoots Down A Syrian Jet: Russia Warns Of Consequences A Theist 40 15319 June 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Michael Flynn, national security adviser, resigns over Russia contacts c172 48 9890 February 18, 2017 at 11:40 am
Last Post: John V