Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 7:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Someone debate me
RE: Someone debate me
If you're referring to the God of the Bible, then I'm keen for a debate.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(July 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(July 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote: Are you accepting the debate challenge? Ditto what I said to the last responder.

Yeah sure, playing Devil's Advocate will be fun, and I will learn from it surely.

I want to debate someone who actually believes what they are saying, not someone simply playing devil's advocate.
"the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate" (1 Cor. 1:19)
I'm new, how do I join a "formal debate"?
You can't ignore the people who disagree and pretend it makes you right.
MK is a deist; he doesn't buy into Christian dogma. I'll sure he'll be just fine.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(July 16, 2012 at 10:38 pm)FemmeReasonAndLogic Wrote: I'm new, how do I join a "formal debate"?

I am not sure either. There is a section at the bottom of the threads for them.

Actually maybe I am thinking of a different site… we may need to go elsewhere...
If you want to have a formal debate with a single member, then you have to do this in the Debate Area in the Philosophy section.

However, there are certain rules that you have to follow before you can start a debate. See below:

Debate Area Rules Wrote:

Thank you Smile

(July 16, 2012 at 10:38 pm)FemmeReasonAndLogic Wrote: I'm new, how do I join a "formal debate"?

Are we good to debate the question I proposed then? I can PM an admin right now.
(July 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm)Annik Wrote: MK is a deist; he doesn't buy into Christian dogma. I'll sure he'll be just fine.

Actually, I want to argue on the basis of problem of evil.

This argument:

If there was a benevolent Creator, there would not exist unnecessary suffering or suffering that would not bring about a greater good.
There exists suffering that is unnecessary and doesn't bring about a greater good.
Therefore a benevolent Creator does not exist.

Seems very strong to me. And I think my defense I wrote before of the problem of evil, doesn't address this argument.

So I've been thinking of all sorts of unnecessary evils that don't bring about a greater good, and aren't necessary for the system to bring about a heroes heart.

I want to argue against a benevolent Creator, play Devil's advocate, not just the Christian God.
Aaaah. I stand corrected. I think you'd be a more than worthy adversary for him. I don't think he'll take you up on it, you might be too intimidating.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I can deal with that elsewhere, but I want this to debate an atheist. Almost everyone here is an atheist who seems to think believing in God is nuts, and actually believing in God rationally was the question I proposed so mystic would be on my side.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1760 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 5134 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 2005 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 36503 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 6466 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 11624 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4421 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1239 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 12018 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5525 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue