Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When you prayed did it ever work?
Re: When you prayed did it ever work?
I quoted verbatim evie. I'm on a phone. To do more is very difficult.

You're addressing points of grammatical logic and not me it seems. Like I said, you have the information to work it out. Your choice if you want to address it or not. For now it seems you won't.
RE: When you prayed did it ever work?
(October 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm)Drich Wrote: An example of Prayer:
Heavenly Father how Great and Gracious is your Holy Name. Lord I ask that Your will be done in my Life as it is in Heaven, More over I ask that you help me put down my selfish desire to look out for myself and get angery when things do not go my way. I ask that you break me of my want and desire of foolish things and that I can be made to serve with all that I am and alll that i have been given. Lord Change me, my life and my circumstances to allow me to make desisions that reflect your will and not my own. I ask that you take this selfish streak from me, and if i am not willing to freely give it rip it from me in whatever trial is needed to help me put this part of my life behind me. Lord I ask that you provided me/us with our daily needs whatever they be. I ask that you ONLY forgive me and my sins if I am able to forgive the sins of others. Hold me incontempt if I can not forgive those who have sinned against me. For I am not worthy to accept what Christ has offered me if I can not offer forgiveness in return. Lord, you know my weaknesses and know i am a weak will man. Bound to sin. Which is why I ask that you keep me from sin and protect me from evil. For it is in your Son's name I pray. Amen.

Wow - not even a single "please"? Seems kind of rude to be bossing god around like that. No wonder most of "his" answers are NO.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
(November 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I quoted verbatim evie. I'm on a phone. To do more is very difficult.

Apologies, it was my own mistake actually - I confused one quote with another. Stupid mistake of my own, sorry.

But I responded to that quote anyway, he claimed that I was deeply concerned and yet he has no reason to believe that I'm concerned.

Quote:You're addressing points of grammatical logic and not me it seems. Like I said, you have the information to work it out. Your choice if you want to address it or not. For now it seems you won't.

You're simply claimed something that doesn't make sense. You claimed that you know God's will by testing it itself (against him). That makes no sense because you can't use it to test that it itself exists.
(November 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm)Drich Wrote: God's voice is not about timber, it is about content.

You wood say that, woodn't you?

(November 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm)Drich Wrote: That said what you are supposed to be A/S/K for is a Measure of the Holy Spirit.

So if I order two fingers of Holy Spirit, on the rocks with a whiskey chaser, I'll hear voices? You just described a typical Saturday night.

(November 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm)Drich Wrote: What this is, is a literal peice of God that comes to live with in you. It starts with the basic Spiritual fruit, and if you are faithful to what God has given you, you will mature and will be given more. To the point where you can receive direction or even revelation from God.

Would this be the piece of God that passeth all understanding, I wonder? (Sorry, I'm in a silly mood. I don't know if you noticed.)

Anyway, to sum up: you order your measure of spirit, then you get some fruit. If you stick to this cocktail, you can get some more until you start to see and hear things. Sounds like a wild sort of party to me. Does God leave you with a hangover in the morning?

(November 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

This is an easy one. The egg was around millions of years before chickens evolved.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:One's inner monologue doesn't usally quote scripture one is not aware of[

This sentence is very interesting, because potentially it can be tested. If I had enough money and if you wouldn't mind, Dritch, I'd really like to set up an experiment to check your knowledge of the Bible and how many quotes does the "voice of God" use. Where do you live?
Re: RE: When you prayed did it ever work?
(November 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: You're simply claimed something that doesn't make sense. You claimed that you know God's will by testing it itself (against him). That makes no sense because you can't use it to test that it itself exists.

I didn't say that.
Nope!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Yeah, I'm afraid "might makes right" isn't a very convincing answer. Such a "god" is unworthy of the title.
Actually it does, in every aspect of very soceity we have ever created. The fact that you do not like this and the fact you rebel against this idea is a 'might makes it right' in action.

Quote:Also, you seem to have created a false dichotomy that anyone that doesn't serve your god simply serves themself. Does telling yourself that all of the non-believers are selfish make you feel better about god sending people to hell?
God simply points out this dichotomy in the bible, in that you are saved (which means you have pledged to serve God.) or you are not. Which means at the very least you serve yourself, for you do not serve God.

(November 1, 2012 at 6:23 pm)Kirbmarc Wrote:
Quote:One's inner monologue doesn't usally quote scripture one is not aware of[

This sentence is very interesting, because potentially it can be tested. If I had enough money and if you wouldn't mind, Dritch, I'd really like to set up an experiment to check your knowledge of the Bible and how many quotes does the "voice of God" use. Where do you live?

at Home, where do you live?
Re: RE: When you prayed did it ever work?
(November 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: You're simply claimed something that doesn't make sense. You claimed that you know God's will by testing it itself (against him). That makes no sense because you can't use it to test that it itself exists.

If I test something 12" long with a 12" ruler, have I not pre decided and agreed what an inch is? Does an inch not exist?

We have no supernatural ability to detect God. We can't test him against himself. We _can_ test him against attributes that can be nothing else, and our definition computes.

Oh dear I've been drawn into your argument of semantics.

Question Evie: if you consider God to be unique (as in, different to anything in the natural world/ non evidenced), are you still open to belief in him?
Quote:Actually it does, in every aspect of very soceity we have ever created. The fact that you do not like this and the fact you rebel against this idea is a 'might makes it right' in action.

This is the childish tantrum when someone is told santa isn't real.

You "I want to believe that light is green"

Me, "It is not green, it is red, you need to stop"

You, "Why wont you let me believe the light is green"

Me, "Because it is red and you are about to run the light"

You, "BULLY"

Your crappy mentality when someone tells you the truth is the same crappy mentality that caused the church to put Galileo put him under house arrest when he told the truth about our helocentric solar system.

NOBODY is bullying you by saying that prayer is merely a placebo superstition that false comfort of wishful thinking stimulates the pleasure chemicals in the brain. You are talking to yourself. Otherwise if prayer really did work then Muslims seem to be far more successful in numbers but i don't see you jumping into their camp.

5 million pdopld die world wide per year from old age, crime, disease and war, and ultimately everyone dies. If prayer worked, and life was not simply the crap shoot it is in reality, then we could use prayer like a microscope or computer and it would be universal. The reality is however prayer is only universal in that humans are capable of falling for wishful thinking. But it is NOT real and it IS merely humans falling for their own superstitions and credulity.

If you want to live in stone age thinking we cant and wont stop you physically, but we are not bullies merely by telling you you need to grow up. You don't pray to the sun like the Egyptians did, and you don't pray to Allah either, and you don't need to pray to your work of fiction either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14954 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Missionary work, proselytizing Figbash 6 1220 July 30, 2021 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7778 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4719 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Silliest Conversation You Will Ever Have With A Christian Rhondazvous 37 4610 February 14, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3481 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  And Yet, They Work For A Fucktard Like Ham Minimalist 22 3397 July 18, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Have you ever asked a Christian this...? Gimple 60 14552 April 14, 2017 at 5:11 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2823 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1839 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer