Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When you prayed did it ever work?
When you prayed did it ever work?
If you were a former christian and now an atheist, when you prayed did it ever work for you? I've prayed a lot before in the past and to be honest, it never really worked out for me. Say I would pray for my cold to go away, it wouldn't go away. So therefore I don't believe that prayer works. I just let my body do its thing and fight it off.

Sorry if there is a post like similar to this..
RE: When you prayed did it ever work?
I prayed once and then thought I felt overcome with the Holy Spirit but it was just gas.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Thier is a difference between petition (asking God for stuff or favors/making wishes) and prayer as demonstrated by Christ Himself..

http://atheistforums.org/thread-14138.html
Can we take it then that the answer's no, Drich?

[/mischievous]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
!
(October 31, 2012 at 12:37 am)Drich Wrote: Thier is a difference between petition (asking God for stuff or favors/making wishes) and prayer as demonstrated by Christ Himself..

http://atheistforums.org/thread-14138.html

Thank you Drich. I now know how to handle arguments with Christians regarding prayer from now on. Of course, I'll have to put it this way:

"You're fucking doing it wrong. Quit asking him for shit. Just be happy and kiss Hank's ass!"

Fucking brilliant. Thanks again.

Hank's ass is one of the world's few bonafide, "good things."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
If you all insist....

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1862863#!
Read and study scripture, you know I'm so tired of saying this, but I will continue until your brains can register such a simple concept and actually this simple task.
God says in scripture He will not answer all prayer, He even says He will refuse to listen to some prayer.
No where in scripture is it said that one would get everything one asked for, your asking must be in accordance to God's will.
As for you rbd274 how do you know God did not answer your prayer, just because your cold did not miraculously disappear does not mean the prayer had no answer. Maybe God said no, if you were not listening you might not have caught the answer. If you're not or were not a Christian then just why do you believe God should have cured your cold, God is not a wishing machine, there are requirements to having greater access to God. All have the access that is needed for salvation. You know that cold could have turned into pneumonia and killed you?
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Godschild Wrote:Read and study scripture, you know I'm so tired of saying this, but I will continue until your brains can register such a simple concept and actually this simple task.
God says in scripture He will not answer all prayer, He even says He will refuse to listen to some prayer.

I wonder why that is? Maybe I should stop confusing God's non-existence with a denied healing prayer everytime I tried to heal others.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I used to pray to jesus to cast the white power structure out of america so we can all live in unity. No hasn't worked.

In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12412 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Missionary work, proselytizing Figbash 6 1077 July 30, 2021 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7142 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4315 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Silliest Conversation You Will Ever Have With A Christian Rhondazvous 37 4167 February 14, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3304 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  And Yet, They Work For A Fucktard Like Ham Minimalist 22 3067 July 18, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Have you ever asked a Christian this...? Gimple 60 13836 April 14, 2017 at 5:11 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2676 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1791 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer