Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 2:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christ's birthday
RE: Christ's birthday
rjh4 Wrote:What are you interested in? Why I originally believed in God? Why I initially became a Christian? Why I still believe in God? Why I still am a Christian? All of the above?

All of the above please
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
Me too. All of the above. I'm interested in all those questions.

EvF
rjh4 Wrote:What are you interested in? Why I originally believed in God? Why I initially became a Christian? Why I still believe in God? Why I still am a Christian? All of the above?

At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe.

rjh4, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in why you believe in God.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Craveman Wrote:Why do I need faith to believe in nothing?
Italic? Joke
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 26, 2009 at 11:58 am)Darwinian Wrote: At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe.

rjh4, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in why you believe in God.

Fair enough, Darwinian, but you did not ask for my reasons, Craveman did and EvF indicated he was interested also (maybe for laughs on their part but I will answer anyway). So since you are not interested, Darwinian, you can stop reading now.

When I was about 18, I took a look around me, saw the complexity of life and in that instant I decided that there had to be a God. Was I raised in a Christian home? Sort of but up to that point in my life I was more agnostic than anything. Did I consider all the naturalistic points of view available at the time to explain life? No, it was admittedly a leap of faith given the complexity I saw around me.

Shortly thereafter I actually joined a cult to the displeasure of my family who continued to point me to the Bible and Jesus Christ. So after about a year in the cult I read some blatant inconsistencies about the cult, researched to see if the inconsistencies were real, and finding them real, I put my trust in Jesus. Did I consider all religions and/or world views before I made this decision? No, again it was admittedly a leap of faith.

Since becoming a Christian, it has been a long time now, I can tell you that I know God exists because of my experience with Him. Is any of it proveable to you? No. I'm just explaining what I know even though I cannot really explain how I know this.

As for why I continue to believe in God and why I am still a Christian, I will point to an article by Cornelius Van Til called "Why I Believe in God". I ran across this the other day and I think it explains what I think better than I could explain it myself. (Of course what he says about the early years does not apply to me but the rest does.)

So now you know and, if appropriate, you can have your laughs now. Smile
So you admit that the only reason you believe in God is through leaps of faith without actually doing any research into why things are complex, or why other people believe other things.

You also admit that you cannot "prove" God to us, so it is strange that you say you "know" God exists. If you know God exists, you must have some proof of his existence. But like you said, you know even though you cannot explain how you know...so in reality, you *don't* know.

Your logic is impeccable.
(October 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm)Tiberius Wrote: So you admit that the only reason you believe in God is through leaps of faith without actually doing any research into why things are complex, or why other people believe other things.

You also admit that you cannot "prove" God to us, so it is strange that you say you "know" God exists. If you know God exists, you must have some proof of his existence. But like you said, you know even though you cannot explain how you know...so in reality, you *don't* know.

Your logic is impeccable.

No, I said that the reasons why I initially began to believe in God and Christianity involved leaps of faith. I pointed to the article for reasons why I still believe. Did you read it? I really do think our differences all come down to our presuppositions.

I do admit that I cannot prove God to you to your satisfaction, I don't think I ever said otherwise. Any proof that I have so as to convince me that I know God exists certainly would not be satisfactory to you because it is not anything testable in a scientific way. So while you say I don't know, I still say I do.

As for my logic, did I ever say my reasons fit some logical proposition? I'm sure you have heard all the best logical reasons for God because I have seen you mention TAG here. If that doesn't convince you, then I'm not sure anything will. Anyway, if you do ever decide to take that leap of faith, you will know what I mean.
Why take a leap of faith in the first place? If you had evidence then you wouldn't need faith. Why "Have faith" in the first place? It's baseless is it not? An irrational thing to do?

EvF
Quote:Fair enough, Darwinian, but you did not ask for my reasons, Craveman did and EvF indicated he was interested also (maybe for laughs on their part but I will answer anyway). So since you are not interested, Darwinian, you can stop reading now.

I've been waiting for ages to paraphrase that quote from Frasier and I couldn't resist Smile

I was only have a little joke with you Tongue
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(October 26, 2009 at 3:26 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Why take a leap of faith in the first place? If you had evidence then you wouldn't need faith. Why "Have faith" in the first place? It's baseless is it not? An irrational thing to do?

EvF

It was a leap of faith based on what I saw and recognized at the time. God did not appear to me so it still required faith. Was it irrational? You would probably say so but it was probably the most rational thing I have ever done in retrospect. I can tell you that I have never regretted my leap.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 2266 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4582 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8073 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3184 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3371 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1479 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3530 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2848 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2055 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you following Trump or Christ? Foxaèr 13 1859 June 29, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13