Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 2:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is the great spirit friend
RE: God is the great spirit friend
Would you prefer that it be removed from consideration? Wish granted, your god is now free to be a torturous douche and it is no longer a subject of ethics. Happy?

-thought not-
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 27, 2013 at 9:41 am)Faith No More Wrote: Is there any level of suffering that you would deem so egregious that it could not be worth any gain? Because that is how I see certain types of suffering such as that of a child being abused.

I thought about this for a while now. The thing about suffering is that it's temporal, the thing about praiseworthiness (with perpetual identity) is that it's an everlasting thing. This alone may make praiseworthiness always more worthwhile then any suffering. If suffering was eternal like hell is in Christianity and Islam, then I would say, a system which brings eternal suffering is evil. However, if it brings temporal pain for everlasting praise, then I would say this seems like a worthwhile trade.

Aside from that, I think it's a little too poetic and not logical, to say that the abuse of a child outweighs all the praise gained by all humanity partially due to (potential) evil and suffering existing. That every level of praise gained through free-will, accumulate all that, and yet that's not worth the sacrifice.
No it isn't. People praised warlords once, now their deeds are contemptible.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 28, 2013 at 5:21 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Would you prefer that it be removed from consideration? Wish granted, your god is now free to be a torturous douche and it is no longer a subject of ethics. Happy?

-thought not-

How about before anything is considered: what is suffering? who suffers the most? how do you know? How do you define it?
JStrodel, you make my brain hurt sometimes. So.. how about this hypothetical?

Let's just take a walk into the forest and get lost shall we? Wink

Oh NO! A she-bear!

2 Kings 2:23–24
23 He went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 And he turned around, and when he saw them, che cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

Fuck god. Unless you dispute the claims of the bible.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
This is from CARM, a ministry I do not always agree with, but this sounds like it makes sense. If 42 youth approached you, that would be a serious thing. They were not little children, that is a bad translation by the KJV.

Quote:2 Kings 2:23-24, “Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.”

Why would God allow two bears to kill 42 young lads simply for saying Elisha was bald? Let’s take a look. Elisha was traveling from Jericho to Bethel when a group of young men verbally accosted him. 42 is a large number of people, and they were probably an organized group who had gone out to challenge Elisha. Their mockery implied a malicious intent; especially when the culture of the time insisted on showing respect to their elders. Furthermore, the statement “go up you baldhead!” has cultural significance. First of all, “go up” is probably a reference to Elisha’s predecessor, Elijah, ascending to heaven (2 Kings 2:11). In other words, they are stating they want Elisha gone; and since Elijah had gone on to the “next world,” the implication is they wanted Elisha dead. Also, the epithet ‘baldhead’ was one of “contempt in the East, applied to a person even with a bushy head of hair.” 1 Lepers had to shave their heads, so such a statement could easily have been a deliberate and malicious insult, something dangerous in a mob that can quickly get out of hand.

Given the challenge of the youths, their intimidating number which could constitute a mob, their veiled threat, the contemptuous attitude, and the fact that Elisha was the prophet of God, the Lord allowed the youths to be destroyed.
(March 29, 2013 at 12:11 am)jstrodel Wrote: How about before anything is considered: what is suffering? who suffers the most? how do you know? How do you define it?

No need, it's been removed. When god does this or that it's not an issue of ethics. So I don't want to hear any more from you bout the "righteousness of god", or "gods morality" -or any other such related ridiculous shit-. The only thing of interest here isn't whether or not your imaginary god is an ethical being, but that your reaction to the notion that it may not be...... is to question any and everything else first - even the ethics of suffering. Jerkoff
(March 28, 2013 at 6:51 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I thought about this for a while now. The thing about suffering is that it's temporal, the thing about praiseworthiness (with perpetual identity) is that it's an everlasting thing. This alone may make praiseworthiness always more worthwhile then any suffering. If suffering was eternal like hell is in Christianity and Islam, then I would say, a system which brings eternal suffering is evil. However, if it brings temporal pain for everlasting praise, then I would say this seems like a worthwhile trade.

Aside from that, I think it's a little too poetic and not logical, to say that the abuse of a child outweighs all the praise gained by all humanity partially due to (potential) evil and suffering existing. That every level of praise gained through free-will, accumulate all that, and yet that's not worth the sacrifice.

Then your whole view on suffering is dependent upon a peaceful afterlife?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 29, 2013 at 9:14 am)Faith No More Wrote: Then your whole view on suffering is dependent upon a peaceful afterlife?

It seems it would be problematic to solve problem of evil, if praise was not everlasting or that suffering was continuous. It seems that way to me at least.

So the answer is yes.
Nobody answered the question "what is suffering" and "how do you separate which kinds of suffering are moral severe".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 3 545 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 85404 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Constantine the Great Der/die AtheistIn 14 4595 July 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13563 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Lightbulb Support for a friend EllHarris412 52 6318 August 13, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God: The Great Tempter Rhondazvous 146 18912 March 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7313 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5412 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Jesus is my friend Fidel_Castronaut 22 5996 July 28, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do? Nope 92 17074 June 3, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: robvalue