Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 11, 2024, 7:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Critical Thinking Skills
RE: [split] Critical Thinking Skills
Joel what sort of programming do you do? I am trying to get into computational linguistics. I have done app deployment and *NIX crap.
(March 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm)jstrodel Wrote: It isn't absolute definitely. But what sort of argument outside of mathematics produces certain conclusions?
Forma; deductive logic, I suppose.
(March 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm)jstrodel Wrote: I think the argument from authority is a good argument, if you have a well developed sense of what constitutes a good authority. This is not easy to do, but if you have this, it is a good argument.
I don't think an argument solely from authority is a good argument. If I said "scientist X accepts evolution, so you should too" and left it at that, that would be fallacious. Now, if I said "scientist X is knowledgeable about biology, and this is the evidence he has for evolution" that would be different. I realize that you are arguing that at some point we have to take their word for something (what if all of the evidence was faked?) if we don't do the science personally, but that doesn't mean that there isn't still a significant difference taking their word for it, and seeing why they support a certain position.

Also, things like peer review, falsifiability, the ability to repeat the results/find supporting evidence, etc. would be helpful in determining if the evidence was legitimate, or most likely bad science.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
The fallacy is when you imply that a certain conclusion must be true because whatever authority you invoke says so/thinks so/believes so.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 30, 2013 at 11:53 am)jstrodel Wrote: Joel what sort of programming do you do? I am trying to get into computational linguistics. I have done app deployment and *NIX crap.

Philosophy, God, computers, where do you find time to do all this shit? You're on here practically all day, non-stop.
It is because I care about your salvation

Re: fallacy:

Definition of FALLACY
a obsolete : guile, trickery
b : deceptive appearance : deception
a : a false or mistaken idea <popular fallacies>
b : erroneous character : erroneousness
: an often plausible argument using false or invalid inference

A fallacy is an argument that is wrong. That different from being a weak argument.
You care do you? Maybe you should start offering some rather than tirelessly attempting to regale us with bullshit?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm)jstrodel Wrote: It is because I care about your salvation

It should be apparent to you after a whole month that nobody here wants your salvation.
You would if you saw what I have seen. You would change everything in a moment.
(March 30, 2013 at 10:54 pm)jstrodel Wrote: You would if you saw what I have seen. You would change everything in a moment.

Oh, the illogical if you could only be in my shoes or in my mind argument.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
What makes it illogical?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to not take critical feedback personally? copiedusername 9 1320 December 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: mordant
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 9196 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2341 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2523 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1552 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 878 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 15236 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 30354 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 11489 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6586 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet