Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
RE: Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
(April 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm)student1992 Wrote: Final point - lol @Kayenneh you actually try and argue with a post you already gave "kudos" to. "Quote:
You probably wouldn't do that to other people in the face, why do you do it here? Just as in real life, it's impolite."

Sorry for that. It could be useful to use
Code:
[quote][/quote]
around those quotes that aren't yours, so that there isn't misunderstandings (like this one for instance).

Quote:You really do just argue with anything you seem to think I have written.

Am I sensing a pot calling a kettle black? And if this is all you have to take from all my posts, trying to ridiculing me when you make shoddy quotes, you are on thin ground. Why not address the matter at hand; rule-breaking?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making?
What's this? Another shit storm?

[Image: bd3.gif]
May I just point out that the OP is more interested in debating his/her non-introduction and subsequent less-than-warm reception (which is atypical) than the topic he/she originally posted about?
If you answer my questions, I'll answer yours. Why are you only looking at individual morals vs. immoral acts perpetrated by religious organizations? Example: I'm sure most Catholics would answer your questionnaire with wonderful shows of humanity and morality, but that doesn't negate the atrocities the RCC has committed (child rape, covering up these crimes, the Inquisition, etc.). Ditto for other groups as well (not just picking on the Catholics), like the Mormons who only fairly recently have allowed black members. How is this issue going to be addressed in your research, or is it not going to be addressed at all? I don't really understand how one can look at the issue of religion and morality without addressing these kinds of things.
(April 15, 2013 at 8:32 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: What's this? Another shit storm?

We didn't fill our quota of drama last week, so we're working the serfs around the clock to catch up.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Your Benevolent (?) Overlords

(April 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm)student1992 Wrote: I feel that whether or not it was right to post this thread (which if this forum purports to allow freedom of speech would be the former) that it was not needed to take pleasure in my mistake and to constantly ridicule it time and time again, question my academic standards, call me lazy, arrogant, "butthurt", stupid etc.

Wait... what?

On the one hand, you want to invoke freedom of speech and claim that you have a right to post whatever you want, and on the other hand you're complaining because others should not have that right?

I see.

This one goes on the Wall Of Shame, for sure.

P.S. As this service is owned by a Brit, and operated in France, your "Freedom of Speech" is irrelevant. Not that it would matter if it was located in the USA - your first amendment rights apply to government censorship, not private entities.

P.P.S. I'm done being nice to you. Fuck off.

Well, I for one would like to hear more about this "deconstructive criticism." I was a big fan of post-modernism back in college before the asteroid killed all my friends.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Don't get all offended at people for putting you down, or this thread will just become one big whine from you about how mean we are around here... trust me, there's been enough of those.
Poca-oracle does it again!
(April 15, 2013 at 9:14 am)student1992 Wrote: Hi everyone I am doing research as to whether religious beliefs actually do affect the amount of pro-social behaviours engaged in and moral decision making. I would really appreciate it if you take the time to fill out this survey, I need a lot of participants.
Comments are also welcome on whether you would expect moral decision making to actually be more affected by the society in which the individual operates and thus little correlation or whether religious individuals will act in more "irrational" ways in order to adhere to scripture as Richard Dawkins has suggested.

Please - State your Gender
The current educational level you are studying for or highest attained.
Your religious beliefs(denomination of Christianity if applicable) / If not religious then whether atheist or agnostic
How strong you consider these beliefs from 1-9 (9 highest)
Do your parents have any religious beliefs?
To what extent do you think they influenced you morally? (1-9)

To what extent do you agree with the following statements from 1-9 (9 completely agree)
"Different types of morality cannot be compared as to 'rightness.'
Rigidly codifying an ethical position that prevents certain types of actions could stand in the way of better human relations and adjustment.
Whether a lie is judged to be moral or immoral depends upon the circumstances surrounding the action.
No rule concerning lying can be formulated; whether a lie is permissible or not permissible totally depends upon the situation.
What is ethical varies from one situation and society to
another.
If an action could harm an innocent other, then it should not be done.
Deciding whether or not to perform an act by balancing the positive consequences of the act against the negative consequences of the act is immoral.

Please answer yes or no to these situations.

1.You are standing on a bridge when an out-of-control mining cart comes into view. You can see 5 workers on the track who you suppose will be instantly killed unless you push a large rock off the bridge to stop the cart. However if you do this the cart driver will be killed. Do you push the rock?
2.This time instead of a rock there is a large man you could push. He and the cart driver will die but 5 workers will survive. Do you push the man?
3. In a separate instance you can throw yourself in front of the cart, killing you and the cart driver but 5 workers will survive. Do you jump?

Please answer every question as it is part of my dissertation/thesis research. I will post the full data results afterwards. Please feel free to comment on any similar topics.

1 yes
2 no
3 no

I don't have any religious beliefs I just have self preservation instincts and feel sorry for fat people.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

OMGG! What a whining whiny little piece of snot!

Done with this freshman.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It's really too bad.. If he only had had the sense to read through the rules properly and asked for permission from the admins, this shitstorm would have never started in the first place Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Agreed. What an ignorant person delving into something so personal to people.

You sure this "shit storm" may not have been deliberately manipulated? Seems to me this little precious is ready to get all butt-hurt over a smilie.

Hijack
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 3767 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 10015 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Satan and Making Mock zwanzig 24 2902 May 21, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 1206 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3685 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 4059 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why is religion in the business of moral policing? NuclearEnergy 85 18551 August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 57842 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Silver 13 3994 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 13906 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil