Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
(June 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Thank you John V and Ideologue. You've reminded me of another oft-repeated tactic:

The Hurt Feelings Card
Except I haven't expressed hurt feelings...
Thinking
(June 4, 2013 at 10:02 am)ideologue08 Wrote:
(June 4, 2013 at 9:51 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: No one is trying to "marginalize" anyone.
But that's what you suggested...the creation of a sub forum that apparently lists all the contemptible and repetitive Christian arguments so they can be cornered to post their contemptuous shit over there rather than among the self-evidently laudable Atheist threads.

I'd say it's a shortcut to avoid typing over and over what's been said before over and over again. We're talking about linking to a subforum, not throwing you in a dungeon. How exactly do you think you'll be cornered there?
OK, I fixed it. If mods would just pin this thread we're done:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-19194.html
(June 4, 2013 at 3:19 pm)John V Wrote: OK, I fixed it. If mods would just pin this thread we're done:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-19194.html

What FNM said in response: "Swing and a miss"
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am)John V Wrote: 1. Yes, that's limiting debate.

Sigh. It doesn't limit debate to have the ability to provide links to other debates where a matter has been discussed before, it makes it more productive.

(June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am)John V Wrote: 2. Some atheists love addressing repetitive arguments.

How do you imagine those atheists are going to be prevented from addressing repetitive arguments?

(June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am)John V Wrote: 3. Some atheists are new to all this and can learn more by debating themselves than just by reading old threads. More experienced atheists can simply butt out if they're not interested.

How do you imagine new atheists will be prevented from debating, or helped by being denied access to an easily available resource?

(June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am)John V Wrote: 4. Who knows - maybe something new to the world will come out of it. Unlikely, but possible.

You can't tell what's new if you don't know what's old.
(June 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Actually, he's trying to lay out the things we've already heard so that we can actually come up with new things - atheist and theist alike.
I love how you pull stuff from people's posts that isn't there.

If you agree with me, why are you adding noise?
Don't project onto me, fr0ds.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(June 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Sigh. It doesn't limit debate to have the ability to provide links to other debates where a matter has been discussed before, it makes it more productive.
Sigh. The OP said nothing about providing links to make debates more productive. Someone asked for such out of curiosity on page 2, then the idea grew legs on page 5. Considering the tone of those first 5 pages, it's reasonable to think that these threads would be used more as hammers than as debate facilitators. It does not encourage debate to proclaim "We've already refuted that argument at this link..."
Quote:I don't think trying to marginalize only Christian posts is the way to go, repetitive posts come under a plethora of categories, not just Christianity. Perhaps we should start by unifying all introductions under one thread?

I think Mo has a point, there. The allah posts are just as poorly thought out and repetitive as the xtian posts. Maybe more so. Why discriminate?
Both in essence simply come down to "my book says so."
It doesn't encourage debate to re-hash the same old stuff over-and-over again, either. It's discouraging the people who have contributed to the forum the most, and making them irritable; unless they're paragons of serenity like me. I try to give newcomers the benefit of the doubt, but I would like to have this resource available, so as not to strain what little eloquence I possess.

I promise not to accompany an initial link to the subforum with a snotty proclamation, and I promise everyone else will say whatever they like, as they always do. It won't be a dramatic change from the way things are done now, I think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8323 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15827 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10663 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32682 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4295 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3856 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 53188 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 30633 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Heard about this snake idiocy before abaris 28 6888 July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 3027 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman