Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 20, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why "mysterious ways" don't matter.
RE: Why "mysterious ways" don't matter.
They're talking more about appeal to authority than objective morality. Even if morality comes from yahweh, it's still subjective by virtue that it comes from a certain individual instead of just being a universal truth. Killing is wrong, except for people who aren't worshiping Yahweh. Steling is wrong, unless you're stealing the land from people who don't worship Yahweh.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 17, 2014 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: I never said that morality ceases to exist without God. I said objective morality ceases to exist without God because without the possibility of a transcendent being, everything about our experience is subjective--including any moral code we have evolved.

That's exactly what I said: you're proposing a moral system that disappears without god involved, which is subjective by definition, and then attempting to call it objective, which it isn't, in an attempt to make it seem more important than it is. If it vanishes without god, then it's a subjective morality based on god's opinions, and not an objective one. Why should I care what god's opinions on morality are, where they conflict with my lived experiences in a world he won't even deign to enter for a second?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 17, 2014 at 11:13 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(July 17, 2014 at 10:53 am)SteveII Wrote: I never said that morality ceases to exist without God. I said objective morality ceases to exist without God because without the possibility of a transcendent being, everything about our experience is subjective--including any moral code we have evolved.

That's exactly what I said: you're proposing a moral system that disappears without god involved, which is subjective by definition, and then attempting to call it objective, which it isn't, in an attempt to make it seem more important than it is. If it vanishes without god, then it's a subjective morality based on god's opinions, and not an objective one. Why should I care what god's opinions on morality are, where they conflict with my lived experiences in a world he won't even deign to enter for a second?

So, you believe that the only system of moral values that we have is subjective and is therefore a matter of opinion. And these common sense opinions, when shared by a large group of people, can be relied on to form a system of morality that we can all live with.

This only serves to create a list of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors. If someone disagrees with the current crowd-sourced list of acceptable behaviors, say, women are not mere objects to own [insert any objectionable act here] there is nothing inherently wrong with that--just that either he has move to a different part of the world or lobby for his position until enough have changed their minds it becomes the new norm.

Or, are you going to say that western civilization has hit on the best list of acceptable behaviors and the middle east's list, African list, the far east's list or some other tribe in the Amazon's list is somehow inferior? It can't simply be a numbers thing (we are outnumbered by other cultures). It can't be a "more or less good" scientific yardstick like Sam Harris believes (because science tells us what is and not what ought to be).

If you do admit that other cultures are perfectly justified in creating their varied lists of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors, then that will bring up the question of why someone in our society should be held to our list?

We DO perceive that objective moral values and duties exist. Why would we not trust this perception? We perceive myriads of other things and trust those perceptions. Because naturalism can't be the cause? Isn't that a genetic fallacy?
You're quite good at deluding yourself, Steve. Or at least persistent.

Where are these objective principles of yours? Examples....not your bullshit "god said" stuff.
(July 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm)SteveII Wrote: So, you believe that the only system of moral values that we have is subjective and is therefore a matter of opinion. And these common sense opinions, when shared by a large group of people, can be relied on to form a system of morality that we can all live with.
Doesn't that roughly describe the situation here on the ground?

Quote:This only serves to create a list of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors. If someone disagrees with the current crowd-sourced list of acceptable behaviors, say, women are not mere objects to own [insert any objectionable act here] there is nothing inherently wrong with that--just that either he has move to a different part of the world or lobby for his position until enough have changed their minds it becomes the new norm.
Again, doesn't that roughly describe the situation on the ground?

Quote:If you do admit that other cultures are perfectly justified in creating their varied lists of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors, then that will bring up the question of why someone in our society should be held to our list?
Accepting that morality is subjective does not mean that you cannot prefer the contents of your own, or argue for the contents of your own over some other's.

Quote:We DO perceive that objective moral values and duties exist. Why would we not trust this perception?
Who's this we business, says I?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm)SteveII Wrote: So, you believe that the only system of moral values that we have is subjective and is therefore a matter of opinion. And these common sense opinions, when shared by a large group of people, can be relied on to form a system of morality that we can all live with.
Doesn't that roughly describe the situation here on the ground?

Quote:This only serves to create a list of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors. If someone disagrees with the current crowd-sourced list of acceptable behaviors, say, women are not mere objects to own [insert any objectionable act here] there is nothing inherently wrong with that--just that either he has move to a different part of the world or lobby for his position until enough have changed their minds it becomes the new norm.
Again, doesn't that roughly describe the situation on the ground?

Quote:If you do admit that other cultures are perfectly justified in creating their varied lists of acceptable/unacceptable behaviors, then that will bring up the question of why someone in our society should be held to our list?
Accepting that morality is subjective does not mean that you cannot prefer the contents of your own, or argue for the contents of your own over some other's.

Quote:We DO perceive that objective moral values and duties exist. Why would we not trust this perception?
Who's this we business, says I?

So, you believe that female genital mutilation in children is a preference and one should argue for one's view?

(July 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You're quite good at deluding yourself, Steve. Or at least persistent.

Where are these objective principles of yours? Examples....not your bullshit "god said" stuff.

You need to see someone about your anger issues.

I did not mention God. I was arguing that there are objective values and duties.

A list of things that are not universally understood to be wrong:
1. Mutilating children
2. Honor killings
3. Suicide bombers
4. Slavery
5. Genocide
6. Women as property
7. Selling one's children
8. Abandoning children, elderly
9. Sex with children
10. Summary executions
11. Capital punishment for seemingly trivial crimes
12. Racial discrimination

Would you say these are all "wrong" or would you say that they are subjective depending on the circumstances or your culture?
(July 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm)SteveII Wrote: Would you say these are all "wrong" or would you say that they are subjective depending on the circumstances or your culture?
I'm curious- would you say that each of those is objectively wrong or immoral?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(July 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm)SteveII Wrote: We DO perceive that objective moral values and duties exist. Why would we not trust this perception? We perceive myriads of other things and trust those perceptions.

We perceive that the earth is flat, but we know that perception is an illusion. Perception alone is seldom truly reliable.

I don't believe in objective morality, but neither am I a moral relativist. Biology and culture conspire to create moral sensations which, because they are intuitive, can't be easily reasoned about. That's why they appear objective.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm)SteveII Wrote: So, you believe that female genital mutilation in children is a preference and one should argue for one's view?
It's not a statement that requires belief, there are people who feel that female genital mutilation is "moral" or assign a positive moral value to it. They are free to do so, I cannot police their thoughts. I am free to disagree with them. Either of us can make our case to the other if we wish to influence each others idea of what is or is not moral.

What's confusing about this? Help me help you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 21, 2014 at 7:21 pm)rasetsu Wrote: Biology and culture conspire to create moral sensations which, because they are intuitive, can't be easily reasoned about. That's why they appear objective.

That's a good way of describing it.

What makes, as an example, 'Biblical morals' rather pointless is that all of the morals touted by the Bible which have any real social or personal value are morals which are mostly ubiquitous anyway. Take those out, and you're just left with meaningless bullshit like "keep holy the Sabbath".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4231 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5711 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why i don't respect your religion or your faith dyresand 39 12585 September 16, 2015 at 4:08 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3690 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why does Jesus' "suffering" matter? luka 99 21062 July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7642 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19944 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 5010 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The crucifixion of jesus and why it doesn't matter dyresand 54 10273 February 11, 2015 at 3:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why Don't Christians Have A Jubilee Year Like In The Bible Nope 18 7795 December 19, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Drich