Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
RE: Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
God as "the ideal father" that's rich. I'm sure you won't be engaging in willful ignorance to make that accusation stick. Are we done with the subject of vicarious redemption? Moving on to greener pastures?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 21, 2014 at 10:00 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Esq: you seen to be repeating yourself, so I won't be following.

I covered some of the same ground because your response to me was a complete non-sequitur given what I was actually discussing. I also expanded upon it, too.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Yes God is the ideal father. It's established Christian doctrine. It doesn't go along with the conspiracy theorists view, no. But then it's not going to be me supporting a minority interpretation. It's always good to be skeptical though, and anything that doesn't make us fall off our chairs with laughter should be considered.

Since you're discussing my subject esq, I would think you'd want to address it rather than your own pet theories. Non sequiturs to the actual subject take precedence over non sequiturs to non sequiturs Wink
Established church doctrine you say? Well I guess that settles it. Wink Shades
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm more uncertain than ever what it is exactly we are discussing. It just struck me as wrong that Christianity could only be interpreted as involving vicarious sacrifice. Perhaps yes, perhaps no. I'm not at all sure. It would be interesting to know if that is in fact an essential tenet of Christianity, but I don't think that is going to be settled here.
Redemption, vicarious redemption. Whether or not it was sacrificial is something that varies from sect to sect. I would hesitate to state that anything is ever settled in any finite sense regarding religion, no more or less so with christianity. Eastern Orthodoxy offers a subtle difference on this count. Christs crucifixion was not sacrifice (he loses nothing, death cannot contain him - it isn't his blood doing the magic, etc) but it is still redemptive. Without this man would not have a path available to him to achieve theosis. In their view, a man must live a christian life, we must be baptised into partaking of christs death, we must repent, etc etc etc. The act in and of itself is not sufficient in order for us to find salvation, nor is mere belief in him or the act. While this is a significant difference (from, say, the catholic concept of the same) what is not changed is the redemptive nature of the act, and it's vicariousness. You, for example, Whatevs, could not have erected that bridge (no matter how good a life you lived) - even though you may now cross it and be redeemed.

(tons of small differences from eastern orthodoxy, btw, you could barely perceive any given issue in a vacuum- but they all amount to one massive theological dispute as a whole)
Well there you go. Thanks for the info. Since I don't believe in any of it, I'm not at all sure why I care whether Christians see themselves as paying their own sacrificial way. Looked at in the way Hitchens describes just makes the whole xtian enterprise seem so debased. I can't believe anyone could be drawn to Christianity because of their desire to ride a scapegoat to a happier place. It may be descriptive looked at in a certain way from the outside, but it can't possibly describe the intentions and motives of believers. (The world and people just can't be that fucked up.)
The dogma is confusing you rhythm. Yes it's true that given the message, you could never build the bridge. It's only God coming to you that saves you. As I explained, your nature marks you separate from perfection. So it's not any fault that you can correct, that would enable you to be completely fulfilled. That's a fact of life. Christian dogma reflects life, and to rail against that is blindness. Hitchens was ignorant of the subject which is why he could make such a ludicrous statement.
Outside the dogma, the same laws of nature apply. It's not by your own efforts that you're going to overcome your physical limitations. By incredible coincidence you could happen across the solution. It would still be vicarious. No scapegoat needed.
It depends on how wide you cast your net too. JWs for example, get to heaven by their own works, and call themselves Christians.
JW's subscribe to the ransom theory of vicarious redemption Frods.......perhaps the most vile (Matt 20:28, John 3:16 of the NWT, their official party line). You seem to think I'm confused, but honestly, none of this is all that confusing. Horrid, embarrassing, difficult to swallow, maybe. Confusing - not so much. That you can, with no winkys or anything (lol), call these variations on sociopathy facts of life is -precisely why I'm an anti-theist. Your christianity has eroded your humanity.
(September 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Yes God is the ideal father. It's established Christian doctrine. It doesn't go along with the conspiracy theorists view, no. But then it's not going to be me supporting a minority interpretation. It's always good to be skeptical though, and anything that doesn't make us fall off our chairs with laughter should be considered.

Christian doctrine makes me fall of my chair laughing.

Vicarious redemption is a base, cowardly doctrine. It is scapegoating, a noxious superstition practiced by the ignorant.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2424 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2250 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1337 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 559 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19778 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3623 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1155 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26620 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 28187 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 162622 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus