Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mormon: "There is no such thing as rape."
RE: Mormon: "There is no such thing as rape."
Quote:if you believe that the contradictions are true,

You know, Rayaan, it is not a case of "believing" such contradictions are true. You co-religionists seem quite proud of their actions.

Quote:3. SHARIA LAW OF RAPE

In case a woman gets raped , she is considered guilty of adultery unless she can provide four adult muslim male witnesses who had watched the action and who would testify that the sex was actually forced on her and that she was not a willing partner in it. If she has only female witnesses in case she was raped by an intruder in front of her fellow wives and slave girls or in a women’s dormitory full of women witnesses then she is out of luck. Her punishment is stoning to death if she is married or hundred (100) lashes if single.

http://www.islamreview.com/articles/WOME...IBLE.shtml

They chose to define Sharia in terms you do not. That means that you disagree with them. It does not mean that you are right and they are wrong.
(November 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm)edk141 Wrote: Which is why nobody has suggested it is (mormon bloggers excepted).

I didn't say they had, ed.
(November 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Not every action that a Muslim does is representative of Islam.

No one is saying that every muslim, every xtian, every theist is a bad person. The general consensus is that all religion is bad, because of the justifications of evil from their 'holy books' and the insistence of using these fairy tales to run the lives of others.

If you want to follow the teachings of the 'Pink Unicorn' in your refrigerator, by all means, have at it, but do not tell me that I have to listen to your 'Pink Unicorn' and follow your ways.

Your delusions of a god are yours, not mine. Once you truly understand why you yourself do not believe in other gods, you will understand why I do not believe in yours.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
"Once you truly understand why you yourself do not believe in other gods, you will understand why I do not believe in yours."

This. Perfectly put, IATIA.
Trying to update my sig ...
It sounds like you have many problems. More medication is needed.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(November 26, 2014 at 4:54 am)strawdawg Wrote: It sounds like you have many problems. More medication is needed.

Dude. Necroposting.
[Image: rw8o02.jpg]
This is what I was taught just to go from the store to my car. Park under a light. Don't go to the car unless you have your keys firmly in your knuckles ready to jab someone in the eye. Get to your car quickly. Don't stop to help anyone.Oh be sure to pay attention to your surroundings while you are quickly getting to your car. Look in the back seat to make certain that there isn't someone hiding there but still get in your car quickly while you are holding your keys like a weapon, buckling in the kids, loading the groceries....

Don't smile at strange men because your friendliness might be considered flirtation and he might rape you. Don't be unfriendly because that might somehow invite the rapist to see you as a threat and he might rape you.

Take self defense classes and always be strong even though always being hyper-vigilant is exhausting and everyone lets their guard down at one point or another.

Break any of these rules and guess what, society is going to tell you how you were at fault for failing to prevent your own attack.

What many people fail to understand is that rapists are opportunistic cowards. They wait until their victim is vulnerable. The frightening thing is that we are all vulnerable at some point in our lives so how exactly should I prevent my own possible rape? What would I be taught that I don't already know?

Women are taught to view men as potential rapists. That is unfair to both men and women but that is what happens when society focuses on how victims can prevent their own attack.
(November 26, 2014 at 8:32 am)Nope Wrote: What many people fail to understand is that rapists are opportunistic cowards. They wait until their victim is vulnerable. The frightening thing is that we are all vulnerable at some point in our lives so how exactly should I prevent my own possible rape? What would I be taught that I don't already know?
It reminds us of the importance of making sure that no matter what the circumstances are, the victim is not to blame for the attack. Advising someone to avoid dimly-lit areas at odd hours is sensible, but it does not absolve the attacker of any of the blame for his attack. This is even more important in the more typical circumstances, where an acquaintance is the one who commits the rape, using factors like familiarity, "she knew what she was doing" and "common sense" as defenses.

I don't think that what a woman wears has much --if any-- bearing on whether or not she is attacked. Rape is a power fantasy, not necessarily a sexual one. What the victim is wearing is likely not to have any bearing on the attack, and may even spur the attacker on; he may feel that a woman who is modestly dressed may be much more traumatized by having her clothes removed, which is the sort of emotional distress that many rapists enjoy most.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(November 26, 2014 at 9:41 am)Tonus Wrote:
(November 26, 2014 at 8:32 am)Nope Wrote: What many people fail to understand is that rapists are opportunistic cowards. They wait until their victim is vulnerable. The frightening thing is that we are all vulnerable at some point in our lives so how exactly should I prevent my own possible rape? What would I be taught that I don't already know?
It reminds us of the importance of making sure that no matter what the circumstances are, the victim is not to blame for the attack. Advising someone to avoid dimly-lit areas at odd hours is sensible, but it does not absolve the attacker of any of the blame for his attack. This is even more important in the more typical circumstances, where an acquaintance is the one who commits the rape, using factors like familiarity, "she knew what she was doing" and "common sense" as defenses.

I don't think that what a woman wears has much --if any-- bearing on whether or not she is attacked. Rape is a power fantasy, not necessarily a sexual one. What the victim is wearing is likely not to have any bearing on the attack, and may even spur the attacker on; he may feel that a woman who is modestly dressed may be much more traumatized by having her clothes removed, which is the sort of emotional distress that many rapists enjoy most.

The problem isn't saying that people should avoid dimly lit places. The problem is that rape victims are scrutinized for their attack in a way that victims of other crimes are not. It isn't just the issue of a woman's clothes. Anything that the victim did that left her vulnerable will be questioned and used to blame her for the attack. Even if the courts don't do it, her friends and relatives very well could.

Instead of saying that women should avoid dimly lit areas or take self defense classes why can't people say that everyone should avoid dimly lit areas and take self defense classes? Men can be attacked or robbed also. Almost all the ways that women are told to avoid rape should also be used by men to avoid crimes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 15126 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 1035 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11945 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2429 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3957 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  An Atheist Tries on Sacred Mormon Underwear AFTT47 7 1250 May 27, 2019 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1467 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3514 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 822 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3695 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus