Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 23, 2024, 4:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If the universe was fine tuned for our life...
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life...
(December 5, 2014 at 7:52 am)Heywood Wrote:
(December 5, 2014 at 12:32 am)IATIA Wrote: If I create a 'sub reality' does that necessarily infer that it is intelligent?
You can create a sub reality that has no potential for the emergence of intelligence. If you did that sub reality could not be a parent of its own sub reality. It would be a dead end.
So, if I write a computer program (X) that is capable of encoding it's own sub realities, does that make computer program (X) intelligent?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
This entire thread, summed up:

"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(December 5, 2014 at 8:27 pm)IATIA Wrote: So, if I write a computer program (X) that is capable of encoding it's own sub realities, does that make computer program (X) intelligent?

One definition of intelligence is the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. If your computer program satisfied this definition I think it could be said to be intelligent.

IBM's Watson computer program, which beat the best two Jeopardy champs in a game of Jeopardy can do this in a limited sense. It can acquire knowledge during the game. For instance if all the given answers in a category have been the name of a month, it can recognize that. It then applies that new found knowledge about the category to change the way it determines what is likely to be the correct answer.

I would have to see your computer program to judge if it was intelligent or not. The fact that it can encode its on sub realities doesn't necessarily tell me that it is. Any sub realities it does create would still be dependent on the existence of an intelligence. The computer program could not exist were it not for your intelligence so any sub realities it creates could not exist unless your intelligence existed.
So, this is an intelligent program?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 5, 2014 at 10:02 pm)IATIA Wrote: So, this is an intelligent program?

Try this one.

http://en.akinator.com/

Think of a character, real or imagined and it will tell you what you are thinking.

I don't know that I would call these kinds of programs intelligent. As far as I know they prompt you to program them with new knowledge but they don't really acquire it themselves.
It fulfills your standard for intelligence as well as the chess program. So it must be intelligent.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 5, 2014 at 7:52 am)Heywood Wrote:
(December 4, 2014 at 10:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote:

Presumably nobody is viewing the far side of Pluto right now....yet you and I would both agree that the far side of Pluto is not imaginary. Why? because potentially we could put an observer there and view it. Perspective is what determines what is real and that perspective exists whether or not a conscious observer exists. Our entire understanding of reality is formulated on this idea that what is real is determined by perspective.

No, our reality is not created by perspective. Take dreams for example. I have them from time to time, and I'm sure you do too. Do you think they are real in the sense of representing a reality? I don't, I doubt you do either. I don't because my conscience mind is sure that they are merely dreams not reality and from time to time even my dreaming mind is aware that I'm just dreaming. But the perspective from my brain is the same.

(December 5, 2014 at 7:52 am)Heywood Wrote: Imagine you are in a space ship positioned in space. You see me pass you in my space ship traveling at the speed of light. You observe a clock on my space ship and see it is stopped. Is time really not passing for me? From your perspective there is no flow of time for me. Now from my perspective reality is completely different. From my perspective I see you passing me at the speed of light. From my perspective your clock is stopped and for you there is no flow of time.

Does the flow of time exist for me? Well it exists and it doesn't exist. It all depends on perspective. Sub realities exist and they don't exist...it all depends on perspective. How can something exist and not exist? The notion is nonsensical. I resolve the nonsense by thinking about it this way. If something can be observed to exist from at least one perspective, then that thing can be said to exist. Since a sub reality is real and has physicality from the perspective of the things they contain, I can credibly say sub realities exist....even if they lack physicality from my perspective. I can credibly say the flow of time exists for you even though it doesn't from my perspective.

I think the problem here is that I see no perspective from which computer generated "sub-realities" exist. They are collection of mathematical rules with the results displayed visually. There is no inside perspective.

Try this piece of inductive reasoning:

When people say words, the objects named are not created by the words.

When people draw pictures, the objects depicted are not created by the picture.

When people write a mathematical equation, the things described by the equation are not created by the equation.

Therefore, when people use mathematical procedures to create words and pictures on a computer screen, nothing is created except the words and pictures on the screen. No new objects or space is created.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 5, 2014 at 10:27 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I think the problem here is that I see no perspective from which computer generated "sub-realities" exist. They are collection of mathematical rules with the results displayed visually. There is no inside perspective.

I'm okay with your position that there is no inside perspective provided you also take the position that you cannot possibly be a simulant existing in a computer reality. If you think it possible that you could be a simulant and think there can be no inside perspective.....then you have a contradiction in positions.

Premise 1. Computer simulations have no inside perspective from which an entity contained within them would perceive a reality.
Premise 2. I perceive a reality.
Conclusion: Therefore I cannot be an entity contained within a computer simulation.

Is the above argument valid and true as far as you are concerned?

(December 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm)IATIA Wrote: It fulfills your standard for intelligence as well as the chess program. So it must be intelligent.

I'm not staunchly opposed to calling those programs intelligent. I also don't believe intelligence is something boolean....that is you either are intelligent or you are not. Intelligence comes in varying degrees. Minimalist is less intelligent than a cockroach. A cockroach is less intelligent than a dog. A dog is less intelligent than a human being. If those programs are intelligent, they are less intelligent than Minimalist.
(December 5, 2014 at 10:59 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 5, 2014 at 10:27 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I think the problem here is that I see no perspective from which computer generated "sub-realities" exist. They are collection of mathematical rules with the results displayed visually. There is no inside perspective.

I'm okay with your position that there is no inside perspective provided you also take the position that you cannot possibly be a simulant existing in a computer reality. If you think it possible that you could be a simulant and think there can be no inside perspective.....then you have a contradiction in positions.

Premise 1. Computer simulations have no inside perspective from which an entity contained within them would perceive a reality.
Premise 2. I perceive a reality.
Conclusion: Therefore I cannot be an entity contained within a computer simulation.

Is the above argument valid and true as far as you are concerned?

Pretty much, except that you can't really talk about being contained in a computer program in any spacial sense. The cute evolving box-like creatures shown in your previous video are generated by and presented as the results of a program. But they are not contained in the program any more than 10 + 10 = 20 contains twenty or a quadratic equation contains the curve you can graph using it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm)IATIA Wrote: It fulfills your standard for intelligence as well as the chess program. So it must be intelligent.

Intelligent, but not unbeatable. After several impressive hits, including once when I was thinking of myself, I managed to stump it. I was thinking of Moore Marriott, one third of the trio including Will Hay and Graham Moffatt - some of you may know him from the classic Gainsborough Pictures comedy Oh, Mr Porter! ("The next train's gone!"). It came up with Will Hay at first, then Charlie Drake, Alistair Sim and Arthur Askey, before admitting defeat.

Not trying to prove a point; just throwing it out there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 3000 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 10095 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2914 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7691 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3799 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The universe existing as a byproduct of God? T.J. 89 8995 June 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Finely-tuned universe wanted: Intelligent Designers need not apply. Time Traveler 38 8920 April 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why the fine tuning argument is a pile of shit Longhorn 61 12025 August 11, 2015 at 5:42 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12744 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  How did god create the universe? Natachan 31 5690 November 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus