Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The universe existing as a byproduct of God?
The universe existing as a byproduct of God?
Okay, I'm going to try to explain this as best I can as it's a new argument I've seen cropped up and I kind of like it if only for the fact it involved thinking outside the box for a change.

Basically, while talking about the 'Perfect God' conundrum, one proposed the idea that God didn't purposely create the known universe, but its existence simply allows it to be created and exist by being, and since it does not need or want it has no reason to end existence due to its omnibenevolent nature.

In short? God accidentally the universe!

Now the problem lies in the fact this is still working on the basis of God being omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, and since I literally just got out of a conversation where it was explained to me how contradictory/impossible objects cannot exist, if it's then suggested that the universe exists due to God's existence, then the universe cannot exist because this god cannot exist, and the mere fact that our universe does exist proves that said god does not exist.

So... checkmate?

Anyone ever seen this argument proposed before? I don't know if it was ever brought up here or not.
RE: The universe existing as a byproduct of God?
(June 26, 2016 at 4:58 am)Ayen Wrote: Okay, I'm going to try to explain this as best I can as it's a new argument I've seen cropped up and I kind of like it if only for the fact it involved thinking outside the box for a change.

Basically, while talking about the 'Perfect God' conundrum, one proposed the idea that God didn't purposely create the known universe, but its existence simply allows it to be created and exist by being, and since it does not need or want it has no reason to end existence due to its omnibenevolent nature.

Now the problem lies in the fact this is still working on the basis of God being omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, and since I literally just got out of a conversation where it was explained to me how contradictory/impossible objects cannot exist, if it's then suggested that the universe exists due to God's existence, then the universe cannot exist because this god cannot exist, and the mere fact that our universe does exist proves that said god does not exist.

So... checkmate?

Anyone ever seen this argument proposed before? I don't know if it was ever brought up here or not.

I feel like there is a logical mismatch between divine omniscience and divine accidents ... unless the accident was inevitable and there was nothing logical that God could do to prevent it?

Anyway, the whole idea of having God in the first place (as the Creator, that is) is not only logically problematic but illogical. Way less problematic to stick to the godless alternative: the ultimate universe has always been (with or without some God coexisting with it).
I think the Universe is a pimple on the arse of a homosexual unicorn that was made by Satan out of spite after he was rejected by God.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

under construction
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(June 26, 2016 at 5:22 am)Alex K Wrote: under construction

not another universe!
OK, hit us with it.... who's arse this time?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If a god made the universe (that is everything that exists) where was he/it before he made it? (heaven does not count because that must be included in "everything that exists"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 26, 2016 at 6:40 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: If a god made the universe (that is everything that exists) where was he/it before he made it?  (heaven does not count because that must be included in "everything that exists"

In the realm of the illogical.
(June 26, 2016 at 4:58 am)Ayen Wrote: Okay, I'm going to try to explain this as best I can as it's a new argument I've seen cropped up and I kind of like it if only for the fact it involved thinking outside the box for a change.

So... checkmate?

I've never seen this argument before. But, it seems to me that if the universe is a byproduct (as suggested by your title), then one would need to know the product that was being created that lead to the byproduct. And, maybe, who the creator was of the original product might also need to be known.

I don't think the word "byproduct" in your title would be the correct word for what is proposed.

Maybe the rest of the post needs to be clarified for me, because the idea of 'Perfect God' is merely a reflection of the measurement of mankind as imperfect and an imagined ideal condition of mankind imposed on a godform.
"My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it."

Ursula K. Le Guin
Obviously, a perfectly powerful, benevolent god would not simply overlook a universe he has accidentally created and let almost everyone in it get screwed in the most cruel ways, simply because of an oversight. That renders the "argument" so ad absurdum that I'm not surprised I have never encountered it.

"Byproduct" ??

Are we implying the universe is a turd ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2836 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9538 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7284 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3667 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Finely-tuned universe wanted: Intelligent Designers need not apply. Time Traveler 38 8498 April 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  If the universe was fine tuned for our life... Lucanus 262 48304 December 8, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  How did god create the universe? Natachan 31 5557 November 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19365 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  How did god create the universe? Freedom of thought 34 5377 April 20, 2014 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The rest of the universe BrokenQuill92 4 1888 January 24, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Drich