Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming an angry atheist
RE: Becoming an angry atheist
Ah, OK.

Damn, I'm back to 85 then.

How many do I need to reach Dawkins level 7?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 9, 2014 at 9:13 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 9, 2014 at 4:49 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: ...you are assuming that there is intelligence behind natural order because what order we see created here on Earth is the product of human intelligence ... hence, anthropic fallacy.

Your critique assumes that something other than intelligence is ultimately responsible for natural order. Formal and final causes are just as involved in the creation of galaxies as everything else.

No. My critique assumes that a reasonable argument is not circular.

(December 9, 2014 at 9:13 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 9, 2014 at 4:49 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: .Now, if you want to argue that the laws of physics themselves require an intelligence in order to operate, then I'd like to see your proposed mechanism for an immaterial being to affect material existence.
And here I'm the one accused of begging the question! You ask for a mechanism because you already assume a mechanistic universe devoid of formal and final causes.

I'm not begging the question; the operation of the physical laws is an observed phenomenon resulting from the ways matter interacts. I'm perfectly willing to entertain any hypothesis you put forward in order to support your broader point that an immaterial being can affect material changes; that was my request. Your reasoning, particularly concerning final cause, is where you come a-cropper. Assuming purpose in the material structure of the Universe assigns intent to its operation; but nowhere do you demonstrate the intentional actor.

Additionally, I'm not stating that the Universe is devoid of a formal cause. But your assertion that it has an immaterial final cause is unsupported, just as it was in Aquinas's day.

(December 6, 2014 at 11:52 am)Natachan Wrote: However recently some folks have been blathering on Facebook about the damn "war on Xmas" and how this should be a godly nation. And I try not to comment. Whatever. It's their page, they can believe what they want. But the oh-so-subtle attacks are starting to get to me.

I'm getting sick of hearing subtle jibes against me. I'm getting sick of people I care about thoughtlessly reposting and sharing such sentiments. And I'm nearly at the point of calling out some people publicly on it.
I tend to view it as people taking the time to identify themselves as someone I have no time and little respect for. Makes my life a bit easier that way.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 6, 2014 at 11:52 am)Natachan Wrote: So as time passes I find myself becoming less tolerant of religious BS and of religion in general. When I first came out I was around religious moderates and reasonable people. I told them I disagreed with them, but if they got something out of it whatever. It just wasn't for me. And they were all very understanding. And in my university, well it's a university. Such things are widely accepted there (even in oklahoma).

However recently some folks have been blathering on Facebook about the damn "war on Xmas" and how this should be a godly nation. And I try not to comment. Whatever. It's their page, they can believe what they want. But the oh-so-subtle attacks are starting to get to me.

I'm getting sick of hearing subtle jibes against me. I'm getting sick of people I care about thoughtlessly reposting and sharing such sentiments. And I'm nearly at the point of calling out some people publicly on it.

And I'm generally not an angry atheist. I love christmas. I like Easter. If you privately want a religious celebration on your personal property, or on church property, great! Go for it! I'm just sick of public officials subtly implying that to be a proper american I have to follow their beliefs.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=11580&d=1405793505]

kidding though on a side note they do not know what speak of.
they have no idea how stupid they sound and the fact being they believe something that was written six thousand years ago by people and believed it they have issues.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(December 6, 2014 at 11:52 am)Natachan Wrote: So as time passes I find myself becoming less tolerant of religious BS and of religion in general. When I first came out I was around religious moderates and reasonable people. I told them I disagreed with them, but if they got something out of it whatever. It just wasn't for me. And they were all very understanding. And in my university, well it's a university. Such things are widely accepted there (even in oklahoma).

However recently some folks have been blathering on Facebook about the damn "war on Xmas" and how this should be a godly nation. And I try not to comment. Whatever. It's their page, they can believe what they want. But the oh-so-subtle attacks are starting to get to me.

And I'm generally not an angry atheist. I love christmas. I like Easter. If you privately want a religious celebration on your personal property, or on church property, great! Go for it! I'm just sick of public officials subtly implying that to be a proper american I have to follow their beliefs.

they have no idea how stupid they sound and the fact being they believe something that was written six thousand years ago by people and believed it they have issues.

Where did you get that picture of the former pope?

ROFLOL

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(December 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm)dyresand Wrote:

Mr Natachan says that they don't realize they're being hurtful. He says that the old people who are doing it are just desperate and grasping at straws as they get older. And for those who are 65-70+ I can at least sympathize a bit. But I've blocked my sister-in-law because she pisses me off too much.
(December 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm)Natachan Wrote:
(December 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm)dyresand Wrote: [Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=11580&d=1405793505]

Mr Natachan says that they don't realize they're being hurtful. He says that the old people who are doing it are just desperate and grasping at straws as they get older. And for those who are 65-70+ I can at least sympathize a bit. But I've blocked my sister-in-law because she pisses me off too much.

it hurts to talk to my god is great family and they just love them so jesus.
it bothers them i'm not a believer they say i will go to hell and its a sin and i am a fool for not believing in god.
they say the fool says in his heart god is not real or what ever. i love my family don't get me wrong. if there religion
gives them hope and makes them happy all the power to them. but saying ill go to a place and warn me about it that's taking it
far really far no one wants to go to hell no one really deserves to go either.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Dear non-existent god, people. When quoting someone with an image in their post, remove the image from the text, so we don't have to keep scrolling over and over past the same picture.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
But...but...but the picture is more amusing than the actual argument!
(December 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Dear non-existent god, people. When quoting someone with an image in their post, remove the image from the text, so we don't have to keep scrolling over and over past the same picture.

[Image: the-dark-side-is-strong-in-this-convo.jpg]

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4983 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19749 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Angry, condescending atheists Starman 91 11346 February 26, 2018 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Iceland is becoming atheist. Jehanne 13 2849 February 8, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: haig
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13806 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL??? GoHalos1993 41 9221 December 19, 2015 at 5:20 am
Last Post: abaris
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5880 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Myth of The Angry Atheist brewer 35 8542 July 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Is Atheism becoming a religion? liberalNutjob 0 1353 March 8, 2015 at 12:54 am
Last Post: liberalNutjob
  Is Sam Harris becoming a pariah for the anti-religious cause? Mudhammam 90 15703 August 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus