Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who become Christians
RE: Atheists who become Christians
(December 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm)strawdawg Wrote: Most people make snap decisions and form hasty beliefs with out researching the matter fully.

Yeah, have a mirror.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm)strawdawg Wrote: It makes sense to me.

Better lay off the glue, then.
(December 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm)Kitty Galore Wrote: She has done what SHE had to do to lessen the pain, I guess. Her seeing her family again in heaven trumps the fact her God took them away. (All for a reason, right? :rollseyesSmile

It was how she chose to cope. I don't agree with it, I don't think I would change my mind if I went through something so terrible. But I don't mock her.

Nobody is born with the ability to cope with the sort of trauma that your friend endured. We all do so as best we can.

You know many of the terrible things that I experienced when I was younger - I will not repeat them here. I could have easily used faith as a crutch - and perhaps for a while, I did - but mostly I dealt with my trauma in ways that were damaging to myself, and were no less irrational.

Like you, I can't really blame someone for coping in the way your friend does.
(December 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I could have easily used faith as a crutch - and perhaps for a while, I did - but mostly I dealt with my trauma in ways that were damaging to myself, and were no less irrational.

When sitting at my father's deathbed some 11 years ago, this was such a moment. There was this nagging thought of never seeing him again. Turning to faith would have been the easy way back then, but it would also have been the dishonest thing to do. I simply couldn't believe, even at that moment.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm)Nope Wrote: I used to be a Christian. My faith was important to me and something that I took for granted. In my forties, I began to have serious doubts and nothing that I could do would stop those doubts. Actually, at one point in my life I would get down on my face and beg god not to harden my heart. Questioning was traumatic for me and not something I asked to do. Every night I read my bible and my doubts grew.

The final straw came when my adolescent, learning disabled son got his girlfriend pregnant. We had given them birth control because we knew that they were sexually active even though my son-for whatever reason- told us that he wasn't having sex. So yeah, I was disappointed in him and it was that disappointment that clicked something in my head. Never would I want my son to suffer because he upset me. There is nothing that he could do that would make me turn against him. He could try to kill me or hate me and I would still love him and want what was best for him. The god that I worshiped wanted people to go to a place of eternal misery because they didn't love him enough. He was supposed to be a parental figure and yet, I, the faulty human was a far better parent then he was.

At that point, I stopped believing and it stopped hurting that I didn't have belief any longer. So when Drich starts that nonsense about just believing I take offense.

Smile I relate so much to this. I remember when the thought hit me that I could develop a better god based on just my family. That was a big deconversion step.
(December 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm)Drich Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 12:54 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Which book?
Unless my version was missing a divinely inspired preface, the Bible never states, "All sixty books here included are God's words."

You're relying on humans (who first wrote the books and then later canonized them) to decide for you which books are divine and which are not. Obviously, that's all you can do as your God lacks any obligation to perform jobs for us since, you know, he's no more real than Poseidon.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...hy+3:16-17

This one set of verses answers your question.

Your objection is answered not in the philosophy of scripture but in the answer God directly gives when you a/s/k.
Which Scripture do you think that's referring to and why? According to your logic it might be implying that the Qur'an, The Book of Mormon, or hell, The Origin of Species, is "given by inspiration." Newton's genius certainly shamed your prophets.

You're saying you asked God and he told you he authored these books? You said this occurred after your brain exploded at hell's gates?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I guess some atheists do have weak minds. I jump to this conclusion after reading many former atheists stories of their conversion and the reasons for them.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 21, 2014 at 12:05 pm)Drich Wrote: The next step as after I was a believer, and began to fall into the trap of religion (worshiping the method of worship rather than God.)

http://atheistforums.org/thread-13378.html

That's an interesting story, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Christianity is true. In fact, believiing in Christianity requires you to ignore the historical evidence indicating fundamental changes to Judaism and Christianity over the centuries - not at all like God was inspiring those religions. Also, if Christianity is true, we should expect to see God doing something, and scientists should be able to measure that activity. Even if God's activity is limited to helping Christians find their car keys more often than non-Christians, this affect should be measurable.

So there are many reasons to disbelieve in Christianity, and if you know about hallucinations, then you should be very skeptical of guardian angels bumming money off you at a convenience store. If the guardian angel was a hallucination, then of course it would know everything about your life. If you were inspired by predictions of the hallucination, then you might work hard to fulfill those predictions.

If a guardian angel tells you that 1 + 1 = 3, are you going to believe him? Christianity is the equivalent of 1 + 1 = 3. (IMO)

EDIT: Even if you accept that you experienced something supernatural, it would be more reasonable to suspect that you were simply hearing a message from some non-Christian entity in the language of your religious beliefs. For example, in the Martian Chronicles, a martian appeared to be Jesus to a priest, because that was the language the priest would understand.
(December 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm)strawdawg Wrote: Man is a spirit he lives in a body he understands with his soul. You can never understand the things of God with your mind they have to be understood with your heart (spirit). Man is not like other animals that are body only. Man is a spirit man and God like and eternal.

[Image: do4g8z.jpg]

(December 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm)strawdawg Wrote: Man is a spirit he lives in a body he understands with his soul. You can never understand the things of God with your mind they have to be understood with your heart (spirit). Man is not like other animals that are body only. Man is a spirit man and God like and eternal.

[Image: do4g8z.jpg]

We have the claims. Now, once more, we need to wait for the evidence.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8113 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4152 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My religious teacher will become a father Der/die AtheistIn 48 9851 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3478 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to become a Televangelist? mcolafson 20 7169 September 27, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31684 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Where do Christians get this idea that atheists defend Islam GoHalos1993 39 11585 December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why atheists make fun of you christians dyresand 10 5565 September 30, 2015 at 9:52 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52271 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians dyresand 13 4819 July 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus