Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who become Christians
RE: Atheists who become Christians
Isn't it hugely arrogant to presume that there can be no good reason to convert to Christianity. That's what I get from skimming this thread. I guess the op is a wind up.

What are the rational steps? Is it a rationally held position? Does your own biographical experience prove that rationality only allows one path for everyone? How do you know?
No one has ever given a reason that they can defend as rational, as far as I'm aware. Doesn't mean they have no reason, people don't always do things for rational reasons.

What a "good" reason is depends entirely on who is assessing that reason. It's obviously a good enough reason for them to convert, in their opinion. That doesn't make it objectively a good reason.

If anyone does have a rational reason, I'll be all ears. You could argue that a pragmatic reason is rational of course. I'd accept that. But that's explaining your motivation for converting on paper, rather than defending actual belief.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 23, 2014 at 2:31 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Drich believes X is magical because X claims to be magical, though who is responsible for X is unknown. No further evidence is cited, and his opponents are told to try harder.

Does anyone need further confirmation that Christians are not only full of shit, but arrogantly so?

Who said anything about magic?

It seems to me that you think X is magical, therefore you assume I think X is magical, therefore I can not produce any evidence to the existence of Magic forcing you to ignore what I have been saying since the beginning.

Does anyone need further confirmation that you are not only full of shite, but arrogantly so?

(December 23, 2014 at 6:43 am)h4ym4n Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 11:11 am)Drich Wrote: I converted from atheism

Lol. Everyone enters the world atheist.

AND from that world (as per the OP's inquiry) I converted to Christianity.
(December 23, 2014 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Isn't it hugely arrogant to presume that there can be no good reason to convert to Christianity.

Religion is in itself not rational. You have to accept certain things at face value, certain supernatural things to be precise.

One can be otherwise rational and still be religious. But religion is faith and fatih is emotional. Nothing wrong with that, since we're all emotional about one thing or the other. But it has nothing to do with reason.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
To put it another way, if there is a rational reason, no one has presented it in the last 2000 years. So I'm fairly confident there aren't any at all.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 23, 2014 at 8:28 am)Drich Wrote:
(December 23, 2014 at 2:31 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Drich believes X is magical because X claims to be magical, though who is responsible for X is unknown. No further evidence is cited, and his opponents are told to try harder.

Does anyone need further confirmation that Christians are not only full of shit, but arrogantly so?

Who said anything about magic?

It seems to me that you think X is magical, therefore you assume I think X is magical, therefore I can not produce any evidence to the existence of Magic forcing you to ignore what I have been saying since the beginning.

Does anyone need further confirmation that you are not only full of shite, but arrogantly so?
What you mean by God I refer to as magic. Do you think repeating what I said, except with spelling errors, and ignoring the irrationality of your beliefs, makes you appear less of a joke?

Hey Frodo, haven't seen you around lately. I suspected you had me blocked...

Anyway, what are your "good" reasons? Please remember, strive for objectivity.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(December 23, 2014 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Isn't it hugely arrogant to presume that there can be no good reason to convert to Christianity. That's what I get from skimming this thread. I guess the op is a wind up.

What are the rational steps? Is it a rationally held position? Does your own biographical experience prove that rationality only allows one path for everyone? How do you know?

fr0d0, I'm not sure what you mean by "the op is a wind up". I googled that term and found wind up merchant "refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others." (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wum)

I don't see how anybody could credit me with that much cleverness actually. Smile I'm just an ordinary person trying to learn and have conversations.
The reason people usually give is, "Personal experiences which probably wouldn't mean much to you."

Not so convincing, and certainly not rational.

Index of my best videos
(December 23, 2014 at 7:43 am)robvalue Wrote: No one has ever given a reason that they can defend as rational, as far as I'm aware. Doesn't mean they have no reason, people don't always do things for rational reasons.
They may do it for practical reasons and consider it a rational approach.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm)Drich Wrote: Because I like 'nope' endured much hardship and figured that an all loving God was crap, or not all powerful.

Sorry you had it rough. So you were raised Christian and ditched it for a while because you had trouble reconciling the version of God in whom you were taught to believe with what you saw in the world? Then later you realized that God is not omnibenevolent, which cleared up many of the issues you were having trouble with?

(December 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm)Drich Wrote: Plus beating up christians in high school was fun... Asking them questions that would shake them to the core was even better, put them together and you had my favorite past time.

That wasn't very nice. So now you enjoy trying to do the same thing to atheists on the internet? That doesn't sound like much progress.

(December 22, 2014 at 10:08 pm)Drich Wrote: I can only imagine the "world is flat" guys had a similar philosophy in life.

The 'world is flat' guys are overwhelmingly devoutly religious. They believe the world is flat because that's what they think the Bible or Qu'ran says, and damn evidence otherwise. Kind of like the people who think Satan is the source of fossils. You can say a lot about them, but you can't say they're not people of faith who count on an afterlife.

I don't think Drich is a representative sample of Christians in general. He's a unique flavor of fundamentalist that I haven't encountered elsewhere, and I live in SC.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8110 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4146 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My religious teacher will become a father Der/die AtheistIn 48 9819 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3476 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to become a Televangelist? mcolafson 20 7169 September 27, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31658 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Where do Christians get this idea that atheists defend Islam GoHalos1993 39 11573 December 8, 2015 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why atheists make fun of you christians dyresand 10 5563 September 30, 2015 at 9:52 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52248 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians dyresand 13 4816 July 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus