Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.
RE: Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.
What a picture. That reeks of WWII propaganda cartoons.

(January 30, 2015 at 1:09 am)Minimalist Wrote:

That's just stupid tho. Unnecessarily divisive and fascist-like. That's the kind of pictures I see on Northern League pamphlets. Sending people away won't solve anything; if anything, we'll just have more enemies and they will hate us even more.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(January 30, 2015 at 6:12 am)Lucanus Wrote:
(January 30, 2015 at 1:09 am)Minimalist Wrote:

That's just stupid tho. Unnecessarily divisive and fascist-like. That's the kind of pictures I see on Northern League pamphlets. Sending people away won't solve anything; if anything, we'll just have more enemies and they will hate us even more.

Well, since they came here they could have considered following the rules we have, at least.
But many of them do. Think about the muslim policeman who died in the wake of the attack on Charlie Hebdo. Saying "let's kick them all out" is not going to help, and neither are those cartoons.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

I agree, "let's kick them all out" is most definitely not going to help, I didn't mean it that way. I meant that the extremists who don't like free speech shoould either deal with it or leave. I have nothing against peaceful muslims. I just meant to state that if someone doesn't want to follow the rules, they should leave.
I can agree with that. Tongue

(January 30, 2015 at 6:17 am)Xeno Wrote: Well, since they came here they could have considered following the rules we have, at least.
Fair enough. I'm not sure what our rules are exactly.

Pope says expect a bloody nose if you insult my mother, or something like that. I am not a Pope fan but he may have a point. I think we try to avoid insulting people like that as a general rule, don't we? I mean...to avoid inducing a hostile, emotional reaction. That is what etiquette is all about, after all. Helps to stop us alienating others and getting into fights.

So what is the "rule" to apply when someone kicks someone else's sacred cow? I imagine to a devout religious person their god is just like a close family member or even more revered.

Just curious where to draw the line? In what circumstance does knowingly inducing a hostile emotional reaction in others become acceptable and in what circumstances is it not acceptable?

BTW I am not talking about the law. The law is an ass. I'm talking about what is reasonable and empathetic.
(January 30, 2015 at 7:50 am)Animated Earth Wrote:
(January 30, 2015 at 6:17 am)Xeno Wrote: Well, since they came here they could have considered following the rules we have, at least.
Fair enough. I'm not sure what our rules are exactly.

Pope says expect a bloody nose if you insult my mother, or something like that. I am not a Pope fan but he may have a point. I think we try to avoid insulting people like that as a general rule, don't we? I mean...to avoid inducing a hostile, emotional reaction. That is what etiquette is all about, after all. Helps to stop us alienating others and getting into fights.

So what is the "rule" to apply when someone kicks someone else's sacred cow? I imagine to a devout religious person their god is just like a close family member or even more revered.

Just curious where to draw the line? In what circumstance does knowingly inducing a hostile emotional reaction in others become acceptable and in what circumstances is it not acceptable?

BTW I am not talking about the law. The law is an ass. I'm talking about what is reasonable and empathetic.

By "the rules" I meant mostly free speech, I could've phrased that better.

In my personal opinion, it's the line between a hate crime and just satire. There's a thread about it already.

Making fun of someone's beliefs is OK, IMO. Saying that they should die or personally attacking them is not.

It's the believer's problem if he takes himself so seriously as to murder people for poking fun at his beliefs. That shows a disturbing insecurity about it. We make fun of everyone. It's how it works. As long as it's jokes and not some crazy fascist ideology, I don't see the problem.

My point is, there is a difference between insulting someone's mother and satirizing their beliefs. We make fun of politicians, but you don't see anyone going nuts and murdering people over it, do you? Believers seem to take their imaginary friends too seriously.
I say no way. If you can't say anything that might upset someone's beliefs, you literally cannot say anything at all. Religious beliefs are arbitrary and all equally stupid and meaningless. The mocking of ideas is all good by me. As usual, I'm talking about a non-intrusive, non harassing, non hate-inciting way. Good satire is just a way to make an argument in a different way. If they don't like it, they can ignore it, debate it or make a complaint. If their only response is violence they are fucking morons and we shouldn't bow down to their demands any more than we should stop talking about apples because I decide they are sacred. I'm very sad to see first Facebook and now this. Apparently England censors pictures of Mohammad too. It's not the way forward! We need to rip the piss out of it until they learn to deal with it like adults.

And kicking "Mohammad" out metaphorically is not at all the same as kicking out muslims. It's an attack on how stupid the whole character is, and people's irrational obsession with not having anyone insult it. If a Muslim cannot differentiate between Muhammad and themselves, then they are insane. It also proves that gods and god's kids are just extensions of people. That's why they take it personally.

If someone's biggest worry in life is that someone, somewhere might be drawing a picture of your imaginary friend and writing something funny on it, you really need to re-evaluate your priorities.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 30, 2015 at 7:59 am)Xeno Wrote: In my personal opinion, it's the line between a hate crime and just satire. There's a thread about it already.

I meant this one: http://atheistforums.org/thread-31305.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art Neville Dies chimp3 5 616 July 22, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  45 caves shutdown ends. Brian37 30 2780 February 5, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Art of the Deal? Minimalist 1 276 September 13, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Arab/wearing veil?we have no table for you...". Paris racist restaurant WinterHold 25 3370 May 23, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Possible Islamic suicide bombing prevented. paulpablo 23 9069 June 23, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Court Jester
  Vehicular terror now in Paris Foxaèr 3 1627 June 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  John Oliver Blasts The WLB on Paris Accord Minimalist 0 771 June 5, 2017 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another Islamic terrorist attack attempted. paulpablo 14 2301 April 7, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Jewish Center bomb threats made by a Jew. brewer 5 942 March 23, 2017 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Couple gets prison time for racist threats at child’s birthday party account_inactive 43 7510 March 2, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: abaris