Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple challenge for atheists
RE: A simple challenge for atheists
(February 1, 2015 at 2:08 pm)SteveII Wrote: Through reasoning, we discover that the existence of God is logically possible (ontological, cosmological, teleological). Tell me what is wrong with this syllogism:

1. If God possible, miracles are possible,
2. God is possible
3. Therefore Miracles are possible

Please define what God is and then we can question whether God is possible.

In all probability, the answer is that God is not possible.
The problem is God says that's all nonsense. He's right next to me, do you have a question for him steve? Aren't you interested in talking to him?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 1, 2015 at 2:08 pm)SteveII Wrote: Tell me what is wrong with this syllogism:

2. God is possible
Line 1, 2 and 3.

The first line should be 'If god exists, miracles are possible.' Line 2 is an assumption, therefore line 3 is invalid.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Whenever I say God is with me, people treat it like I'm making it up. If I've seen God, how can I make it up? I mean, all those people in the bible saw him, they couldn't have made it up right?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(February 1, 2015 at 2:08 pm)SteveII Wrote: Through reasoning, we discover that the existence of God is logically possible (ontological, cosmological, teleological).

But we've already established that the cosmological argument doesn't get you to god, the ontological argument is nothing but assertions attempting to sneak god in by just defining god as "a thing that exists," and the teleological argument just asserts design without demonstrating it.

As usual, you're privileging assertions you already agree with based on no evidence, while dismissing those that you don't. None of the arguments you say proves god "logically possible" have any justification to them, and if we're throwing out the need for real world justifications for arguments, then anything is logically possible. Besides, as you've been told in the past, "logically possible" is not the same as "physically possible:" the former is the first step to the latter, but the latter needs to be demonstrated before anything attains the label of possible. It's another one of those things you simply refuse to justify.

Quote:Tell me what is wrong with this syllogism:

2. God is possible

Easy: premise one doesn't follow at all, premise two is simply asserted and not demonstrated, and therefore the conclusion is based on nothing at all.

Quote:The definition of miracles is an event that occurs beyond the explanation of natural things.

Which you haven't demonstrated is even a thing that's possible. Why do you keep just ignoring this point? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
It's also an amusing little piece of mechanics as as

Can be summed up to:

if miracles are possible, then miracles are possible
miracles are possible
therefore miracles are possible

-what with "god" containing a not-so-hidden assumption of an entity capable of performing miracles.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm concerned. This is the same line of "reasoning" frodo was using before he blew his top. An obsession wih his beliefs not being irrational, rather than them being rational or true.

Index of my best videos
(February 1, 2015 at 2:08 pm)SteveII Wrote: 1. If God possible, miracles are possible,

Please explain in detail what god is I want to know some things before we move on from this statement.
How is god supposed to do all the things attributed to him?
What processes and materials does he use?
Where did come from?
What is gods motivation?
What exactly is god made of?
Quote:2. God is possible

I don't think anyone has come close to even establishing what a god is in a satisfactory manner so no I don't think god is possible.
Quote:3. Therefore Miracles are possible
If something can happen it can't be a miracle. So miracles by their very definition are impossible events and so do not happen EVER.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

We have both God and miracle undefined in a series of assertions. Indeed, it is certainly not a given that "God" is possible, especially when it hasn't even been defined yet. What the fuck is a God and how do I know it from my toaster?

Index of my best videos
(February 1, 2015 at 2:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It's also an amusing little piece of mechanics as as

Can be summed up to:

if miracles are possible, then miracles are possible
miracles are possible
therefore miracles are possible

-what with "god" containing a not-so-hidden assumption of an entity capable of performing miracles.

You can actually boil it down further, to:

God is the conclusion I want to reach.
An argument that gets me to god is possible.
Here is an argument for god.

Let's not pretend for a second that Steve actually cares about the premises of his argument, because if he did they'd actually be premises and not just three repetitions of his conclusion. Just like William Lane Craig's argumentation, all this is is tarting up his conclusion in the garb of argumentation, without actually doing any of the intellectual work that would require.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 559 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4552 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A challenge to anyone I guess! Mystic 27 5467 June 10, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 21925 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 5810 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13542 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 5393 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  It's a simple choice: Mystic 72 7081 December 31, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 15550 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3543 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne