Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis is impossible
RE: Abiogenesis is impossible
Little is worse than a tainted taint.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
If the sin nature is that which proceeds out through the taint I intend to sin big time this morning. Oh baby. Where's my newspaper?
(February 4, 2015 at 2:03 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Little is worse than a tainted taint.

Tainted love might be worse.

Oooh, tainted love....
You're singing Vorlon's song now.
My soul is my body and my mind... That's a new one.

So what is my mind? And what percentage of my soul is in my body but not my mind? And my brain is part of my body isn't it, so isn't some of my soul in it?

I find these things tend to be a merry-go-round of definitions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think it'll take a while for the notion that the mind is simply a part of the brain to catch on. Researchers are starting to discover a lot of things about how the brain works but I think they're just scratching the surface right now. So imagine that in 30-40 years theists will drop the whole "mind is separate from body" nonsense and scrounge around for some other minuscule gap to fit god into.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Yeah, right. I don't know how people can go around equating the metaphorical idea of a soul with someone undeniably real with no evidence whatsoever. It also implies to me that they either have no idea the lengths science has spent studying these things, or that they simply think they know better.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This thread is still alive Confusedhock:
(January 19, 2015 at 9:29 pm)JuliaL Wrote:
(January 19, 2015 at 8:56 pm)snowtracks Wrote: all these life experiments involve an outside mindful agency.

You mean outside like, in the same room but not in the experimental chamber?
How far away does the experimenter have to be to satisfy your demand that he not be involved?

Setting up some situation that plausibly might have been found on the early earth doesn't invalidate the demonstration that abiogenesis could have happened that way.
It isn't overcoming a 10^-50 barrier. It is just setting up the experiment so that you can have results in less than a lifetime instead of a billion years.

I do differ with the article's calling DNA life's software. Firmware maybe.
An example from synthetic biology that took a team of researchers 15 years: The engineering of an alien based pair (prototyped after the nucleotide structuring configuration of the famous double helix) into an bacterium E. coli. A substantial scientific achievement, but it’s just a single pair of foreign DNA bases out of millions. Lab accomplishments like this supports the creation model since it requires researchers using pre-planning creativity, rethinking, and redoing using preexisting functional material and working models. None of which is available by just physical means.
http://www.nature.com/news/first-life-wi...na-1.15179
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
There is no fucking creation model. It's just poof! Done.

No explanation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Silver 18 2277 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 23469 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 34525 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 48796 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 48539 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4663 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7784 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter