Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This
RE: The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This
When all else fails, claim anything that's not 100% certain is utterly worthless.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 12, 2015 at 12:37 pm)Mr Greene Wrote:
(March 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: That was an example of what I mean by completely different species.
Is it your view that ALL life has a common ancestor?
Try reading a book before shoving your head further up your duodenum. Such as The Ancestor's Tale. (Don't worry I know you won't, I'd never accuse you of being a bibliophile...)

A book by Dawkins? not biased at all...
(March 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: That was an example of what I mean by completely different species.
Is it your view that ALL life has a common ancestor?

That is the inference one can draw from the very clear evidence for evolution, and it is supported unanimously by phylogenetic recapitulation and morphology.

You however, asked for an example of cats giving birth to dogs, and there's only two ways to take that: one is that you don't have the first clue as to what evolution is and does, as if you did you'd know that the discrete dividing line you're looking for will never be possible, as evolutionary changes are small and gradual, meaning the change from one species to another is a gradient, not a series of individual steps. Each organism in the chain will always be a member of the species its parents were, although that species might be different from, say, what their ancestors were a few thousand generations back.

The other way I could take that is that you do know how evolution actually works, and have dishonestly configured a question that cannot be answered as a way to get one over on us, as though you can redefine what evolution is by fiat assertion and then say that because your straw-evolution isn't real, the real thing also cannot be. Either way, nobody is required to pretend that your misapprehensions/misrepresentations are the same as the real definition. You can either discuss evolution or not, but what you can't do is try to discuss what isn't evolution as though it is.

I do have one question though: why the hang up about species transitions? Species is just a human defined concept, it's not some baked in objective barrier that existed in nature before we came along. All that's happening is that a given lineage is changing so that its current categorization is no longer appropriate; it's just the real world showing that it's bigger and more fluid than our definitions. That happens all the time. When you have these incredulous reactions toward changes in species, you're basically just boggling at a word.

Quote: That's not the point, the point is, where has one animal family been observed to split off into a separate animal family? (however you wish to define it)

Why are you arbitrarily setting the limit at "animal families"? Evolution doesn't just describe that, it describes any genetic change over time in a population. Are you just making up your own definition based on ignorance (don't think I didn't see the "just a theory!" moment of astounding fuckwittery from you on the last page) or do you understand that the kind of change you're asking for takes such a long length of time that no human could possibly observe it?

I guess what I'm asking is, are you being ignorant, or a liar? Please do let us know; it's good to have an idea which of the two kinds of creationist we're dealing with here.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: My actual statement was
Show me where a species evolving into a completely new species has ever been observed.

Um, species don't evolve into completely new species. They evolve into very similar species. Since that's what the theory of evolution predicts, how is it a problem?

(March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Now show me where (for example) canines have been observed evolving into felines, or something similar.

If that happened on a scale observable in a human lifetime, it would upend our understanding of evolution. Why do you keep asking for examples of evolution that would disprove it if they were actually observed? For the record though, canines and felines have a common ancestor about 50 million years ago; and hyenas are an example of the feliformia suborder producing a canine-like family. We know this from the fossil record and genetic comparison, not because it happened before our very eyes.

(March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: "speciation" is a new term that has been created within the past century.

What earthly relevance does the term's age have?

(March 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: By this definition, African-Americans would be considered a new species from the selective breeding practices that occurred during slavery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation
Quote: Speciation may also be induced artificially, through animal husbandry, agriculture, or laboratory experiments.[/hide]

Is there a prize for most ridiculous statement? Just because a new species can be induced artificially does not mean that any result of selective breeding is automatically a new species. Bowling can result in a perfect score, that doesn't mean I bowled a perfect score.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(March 12, 2015 at 12:42 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(March 12, 2015 at 12:37 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: Try reading a book before shoving your head further up your duodenum. Such as The Ancestor's Tale. (Don't worry I know you won't, I'd never accuse you of being a bibliophile...)

A book by Dawkins? not biased at all...
And you would never read a book by an author who has strong opinions about anything, of course.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Evolution doesn't disprove God, by the way. It just makes you need to accept the creation account is a metaphor/bullshit.

But if you will never consider that being a possibility, you'll have to continue to deny reality the rest of your life.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 12, 2015 at 12:37 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(March 12, 2015 at 12:33 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: You don't get to input your own incoherent definitions and then still pretend that you're talking about the actual theory of evolution.

At least you acknowledge it as a theory.

Now if only you would:

"A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step—known as a theory—in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon."
Huggy, this is my last ditch attempt to show you what you are asking for. This is a metaphor only.

Say you denied that people keep giving birth and form a family tree. That is our claim. You say you don't believe it is possible, and you say, "Show me an example of a woman giving birth to her great-great-great-great-...-great grandson!" By asking this, you show you don't understand the nature of the claim, that the great... grandson comes from many iterations of birth, not from one birth. And if we could give you such an example, it would be proof our claim is wrong.

Index of my best videos
(March 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(March 12, 2015 at 12:36 pm)robvalue Wrote: Everything (likely) has a common ancestor, but that doesn't mean that every animal family family is descended from every other, or vice versa. Your aunt can't give birth to your brothers, to use a metaphor.

That's not the point, the point is, where has one animal family been observed to split off into a separate animal family? (however you wish to define it)

Hm. A Family is two steps down from species. The farther you go down the taxonomic ladder the 'more stable the label'. I can't think of a change in family, like Carnivora becoming Feliforma and Canidae that wouldn't take millions of years.
Huggy.....lol

And they wonder why we choose to use mockery and ridicule. To actually use the "we don't see cats turning into dogs" trope. Wow.

No hole too deep!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1346 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3245 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17924 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Propaganda Films and Hate Speech Astonished 41 14066 August 1, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  It Must Just Kill The Jesus Freaks. Minimalist 10 2820 March 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14790 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  The Poor Fucking Jesus Freaks... Minimalist 102 13534 April 22, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  the real reason creationists hate evolution? drfuzzy 22 8149 October 6, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  NdGT makes some Twitter Jokes...Jesus Freaks Minimalist 13 3549 December 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7374 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist