Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgendered children
RE: Transgendered children
(April 27, 2015 at 11:07 am)ChadWooters Wrote: I would like to see someone address Nestor's question. I think it has bearing on furthering understanding:

(April 27, 2015 at 9:29 am)Nestor Wrote: My confusion lies in what gives anyone the authority to classify differences between people as a "psychiatric disorder," individual identity, and/or mere desire.

Um, a medical degree, maybe? This particular disorder is based on the dissonance between a person's identity and their body and the discomfort stemming from it

What other reasons do you propose for someone to have to change their sex other than being extremely discontent with it? Are there really people who just choose to change their sex for fun?
(April 27, 2015 at 9:29 am)Nestor Wrote: My confusion lies in what gives anyone the authority to classify differences between people as a "psychiatric disorder," individual identity, and/or mere desire.

Whether something is a psychiatric disorder or not is a social construct.  Prior to 1973, the American Psychiatric Association classified homosexuality as a mental disorder.  In 1973, they decided it was not a mental disorder.  Homosexuality, though, was the same before and after 1973.  What changed were attitudes toward it.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(April 27, 2015 at 9:39 am)Pizza Wrote: What do mean by "authority?" And do you mean by "psychiatric disorder?" I think you may just be arguing over semantics at this point. 
By "authority", I mean the bulk of psychiatry, specifically those who think it is within their natural powers to impose labels on a person, which often carry denigrating stigmas, and that may even leave the recipient totally lacking autonomy over their own thoughts and actions. They play the role of puppeteer and toy with brain chemistry, as it is very profitable for them to do so, and moreover appears as an easy fix, whereas what people may really need is genuine human friendship, connection, stability in their environment, life experience, direction (moral or otherwise), etc.

By "psychiatric disorder" I mean, simply: "A mental or behavioral pattern or anomaly that causes either suffering or an impaired ability to function in ordinary life (disability), and which is not a developmental or social norm."

Additional quotes should be added to "ordinary" and "norm."
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Now I'm thinking in terms of the mind actually expecting the physical body to be different to what it is, I'm grasping the sheer horror of this condition Sad I think that was the piece I was missing from my understanding.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My taken on this is simple, direct, and unequivocal. Sex and gender binaries are irrefutables of science, of natural order and selection., and they map perfectly enough on to each other to be easily handled by parents who have the confidence and backbone to say, "NO!" to the inevitable whining of butch dykes and sissy faggot "bois." "Transgenderism" is one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated by radical feminist "social constructionists" to disrupt family health and stability and parental rights.
It's absolutely WRONG to endanger your child that way. If the parents let him transition later in his teens I wouldn't have a problem. But how DARE they expose him to public cruelty and possibly endanger his life. These people are sick. I hope someone called CPS.
(July 16, 2015 at 12:36 am)celtic.white Wrote: My taken on this is simple, direct, and unequivocal. Sex and gender binaries are irrefutables of science, of natural order and selection., and they map perfectly enough on to each other to be easily handled by parents who have the confidence and backbone to say, "NO!" to the inevitable whining of butch dykes and sissy faggot "bois." "Transgenderism" is one of the biggest hoaxes ever perpetrated by radical feminist "social constructionists" to disrupt family health and stability and parental rights.

Wow. Way to make an entrance.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(July 16, 2015 at 12:57 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: It's absolutely WRONG to endanger your child that way. If the parents let him transition later in his teens I wouldn't have a problem. But how DARE they expose him to public cruelty and possibly endanger his life. These people are sick. I hope someone called CPS.

There is a TON of research cited in this very thread, iirc. I think you should read it all before you make sweeping generalizations like that, BQ. You are better than this. The high risk of suicide among transgender people whose transitioning was postponed alone should be enough to make you withdraw your above statements and think a little more critically about them.
(July 16, 2015 at 1:10 am)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(July 16, 2015 at 12:57 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: It's absolutely WRONG to endanger your child that way. If the parents let him transition later in his teens I wouldn't have a problem. But how DARE they expose him to public cruelty and possibly endanger his life. These people are sick. I hope someone called CPS.

There is a TON of research cited in this very thread, iirc. I think you should read it all before you make sweeping generalizations like that, BQ. You are better than this. The high risk of suicide among transgender people whose transitioning was postponed alone should be enough to make you withdraw your above statements and think a little more critically about them.

I'm worried they are putting that kid in pysichal danger from crazy people. Its their job as parents to protect their children, yes it maybe at the expense of her happiness temporarily but at least wait until she can defend herself. It's not like I'm say transition when she's 50, but fifteen or sixteen (maybe even fourteen since a good chunk of males don't start puberty until then) shouldn't be that long of a wait for an eleven year old.
(July 16, 2015 at 1:26 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(July 16, 2015 at 1:10 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: There is a TON of research cited in this very thread, iirc. I think you should read it all before you make sweeping generalizations like that, BQ. You are better than this. The high risk of suicide among transgender people whose transitioning was postponed alone should be enough to make you withdraw your above statements and think a little more critically about them.

I'm worried they are putting that kid in pysichal danger from crazy people. Its their job as parents to  protect their children, yes it maybe at the expense of her happiness temporarily but at least wait until she can defend herself. It's not like I'm say transition when she's 50, but fifteen or sixteen (maybe even fourteen since a good chunk of males don't start puberty until then) shouldn't be that long of a wait for an eleven year old.

Please read the entire thread and the things cited here, then do some of your own research. You are clearly uninformed about this issue and you need to read about it before you start throwing your opinion around as if you know what you're talking about.

Please don't think I'm trying to be mean; I'm really not. I just think it's important for you to understand what it is you're discussing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Children visiting Grandma rejoice John V 19 2294 July 31, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: John V
  Why are children allowed to act in TV shows/movies? Alexmahone 10 2631 May 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Adopting Children of Another Race Shell B 62 4963 February 13, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  The horrifying brutality of prenatal confinement of children. Gawdzilla Sama 14 2104 January 19, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Children WinterHold 23 2342 December 2, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Desire to have children Interaktive 10 2167 July 20, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Children not getting breakfast robvalue 32 4795 January 12, 2017 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest and children. IanHulett 32 5751 July 5, 2016 at 8:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What do your children like? ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 3 1106 July 26, 2015 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Artificial Children? KUSA 31 6561 June 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: dyresand