Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 8:24 am

Poll: Welllllll???
This poll is closed.
yes
5.56%
3 5.56%
no
62.96%
34 62.96%
other
31.48%
17 31.48%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish God was real?
RE: Do you wish God was real?
No matter how much you wish it, reality does not feel pain for your particular supersticions. How many times do you have to lie to people about a something you wish so hard to believe that you can only continue believing. Believe as you will, just be wary of not letting your superstitions be used against other people. Is it such a terrible thing to ask?
(June 25, 2015 at 1:05 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm)Tonus Wrote: If we gave up our free will and left the decision in god's hands, whether to save us or curse us, which do you think he would choose?

Save us. :-)

Well, that is the fundamental abyss between you and me. I intend to do and help others to work together for something better for us. We in this tiny pale blue dot.

You deliver what you could do, to an imaginary magic thing, brought to you by family and indoctrination. Brought by fear.

If saving myself means I would relinquish my thought to a supposed god that gave me the hability to think and it condemns me for what it bestowed on me? Clusterfuck. I would rather spend eternity in hell, baking pies without an oven with people of free thought, than with sheep in god's almighy grace.
(June 25, 2015 at 1:45 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 1:41 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: No. I think sometimes you can't help but believe/disbelieve in certain things.

Good.  So if I lack a belief in God, it's not because I've 'chosen' to disbelieve in God, it's because I can't believe in God.  I can't believe in God until I've become convinced;  just like I can't suddenly choose to believe that up is down and down is up, I can't choose to believe in God.

Lacking that belief is a part of me over which I have no control.  Yet I will still end up in hell/not entering heaven/being destroyed after death/etc based on that?

I agree completely, and have brought it up on my own in a different thread. I have talked about how I don't think atheists are going to Hell simply for not being able to believe. I think a person who lives a life of virtue will go to Heaven. :-)

Is there anything I said that made you think I believed differently?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 25, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 1:45 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Good.  So if I lack a belief in God, it's not because I've 'chosen' to disbelieve in God, it's because I can't believe in God.  I can't believe in God until I've become convinced;  just like I can't suddenly choose to believe that up is down and down is up, I can't choose to believe in God.

Lacking that belief is a part of me over which I have no control.  Yet I will still end up in hell/not entering heaven/being destroyed after death/etc based on that?

I agree completely, and have brought it up on my own in a different thread. I have talked about how I don't think atheists are going to Hell simply for not being able to believe. I think a person who lives a life of virtue will go to Heaven. :-)

I'm happy you think so, but what does Catholic doctrine state will happen to atheists?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I voted no. This summarizes my thoughts on the matter:

Napoleon: M. Laplace, they tell me you have written this large book [Système du Monde] on the system of the universe, and have never even mentioned its Creator.

Laplace: I have no need for this hypothesis. 
(June 25, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree completely, and have brought it up on my own in a different thread. I have talked about how I don't think atheists are going to Hell simply for not being able to believe. I think a person who lives a life of virtue will go to Heaven. :-)

Well that makes me feel a lot better thanks. Oh hang on a minute, just over on the christian and islam forums they are pretty insistent that atheists/infidels will go to hell.

Now I'm confused, which one of you believers should an atheist believe if he wants to go to heaven?
(June 25, 2015 at 1:40 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 1:33 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You have the choice not to.
That doesn't really answer my question.  Having the choice seems like a losing proposition.  Letting god do the choosing works perfectly, letting me do the choosing has a chance of failing with tragic consequences.

Is there a way in which having free will is a benefit for me?  You say it's what makes me who I am.  If who I am is a person who will spend eternity away from god, isn't it better for me to be whoever god decides I am?  Pretend that I have no free will.  Aside from my decision to serve or reject Jesus, how would my life be different?  In what other ways can I use free will, that would make it worthwhile to risk offending god?

I'm being serious here, this isn't a trick question.  Frankly, this whole idea came about from a different topic here and I'm curious as to how Christians approach the question.  I think it's a legitimate concern with the issue of free will, and am wondering if there's something I'm missing.

I don't know what we would be if we didn't have free will. Think about that for a second. This would mean that we would have no control over our bodies or our minds. We would just be empty shells... hand puppets.  We would have no emotions. We would be nothing. I would not exist, and neither would you.

So yes, I'd consider this not existing at all, because that's what it would be.

With free will, we can exist. We still have the choice to try our best to live good lives and love others. I'd rather exist and take my chances with Hell, than not exist at all (which is basically what would mean if I had no free will.)
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm sorry you feel that way, but if my beliefs are offenssive to people, then perhaps they should not ask.

Says the one who came onto an atheist forum labelling themselves a catholic.
(June 25, 2015 at 3:11 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(June 25, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I agree completely, and have brought it up on my own in a different thread. I have talked about how I don't think atheists are going to Hell simply for not being able to believe. I think a person who lives a life of virtue will go to Heaven. :-)

I'm happy you think so, but what does Catholic doctrine state will happen to atheists?

Basically that we don't know. But that's pretty much what the Church says about everybody, when you get down to it. The only people who we claim to know where they ended up, are the Saints, who we believe are in Heaven.

Even Hitler, we can't say went to Hell.

-walsh
(June 25, 2015 at 3:16 pm)Cato Wrote: I voted no. This summarizes my thoughts on the matter:

Napoleon: M. Laplace, they tell me you have written this large book [Système du Monde] on the system of the universe, and have never even mentioned its Creator.

Laplace: I have no need for this hypothesis. 

I don't remember this conversation, this Laplace fellow sounds like a spiffing chap.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4632 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 12826 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 47055 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4826 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 933 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2539 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 17202 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3568 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Who is the assholiest Theist you've met in REAL LIFE? bambi_swag 82 18457 October 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3976 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72