Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you become an atheist?
RE: What made you become an atheist?
Bloody good necropost there sir.
The bible
(February 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(February 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm)RW_9 Wrote: Yes, you would have no beliefs - including a belief in a deity. Thus, atheism. Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in a deity/deities. Nowhere did I say that a wittle baby makes a conscious decision to say "there is no god." That is not required for atheism.

Careful. Are rocks atheists? I'm pretty sure they have no belief in gods.

they also have no disbelief... they're inanimate... I... do you know what, I don't even know why I tried to humor you. But just in case, if rocks have no belief in God then by pure definition alone, yes. they are atheists.

For me, The biggest Biblical contradiction is this:

''Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me''
Exodus 20:4-5

I am a jealous god? Isn't that one of the seven deadly sins? Oh dear me. And even worse... He's not going to punish the person who dislikes him... but his Children, and his children's children? Without trail? Oh, so much mercy God... How merciful you really are.
I was born an atheist and have remained one my entire life. Nobody has convinced me to believe in any god or gods since day 1, and I doubt anyone ever will till the day I die.

Bah, I contributed to a necro thread...a thousand apologies Sad
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I did not become atheist; I realised that I did not believe in the existence of god(s) and I found out that this non-belief was called atheism.
(February 8, 2012 at 8:40 am)SophiaGrace Wrote: For me, atheism sits better with me than Christianity ever did. I was constantly trying to fit Christianity into a mold of logic which did not work, and i realized that and gave up. Big Grin

Your turn.

I loooove havin sex outside of marriage baaayyybeeeyyyy AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
That's what made me not believe in god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

When I realized that you didn't have to believe in god "just 'cuz" you had to.
I thought "Hey, without Christianity I can sin all I want!" Wink But in all honesty, I became a little bit more ejumacated
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
I'm not an atheist, but I dropped religion because I didn't need it anymore. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Re: What made you become an atheist?
I was born LDS, and I realized at 15 that my seminary teachers and class teachers had no base as to what they were teaching me, just asserting things they thought were true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3390 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I have made a new YouTube video about afterlife... FlatAssembler 32 2364 July 12, 2022 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2941 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6522 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3450 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2723 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 93768 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1957 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10210 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4784 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite