Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 9:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were ever a theist...
RE: If you were ever a theist...
Egyptian? Good choice.

As I have said, "Ra!!!" Is fun to shout Big Grin
I've always thought that if you're going to worship anything, the sun would be the best choice by far.

1) It exists

2) We are demonstrably dependent on it for every aspect of our survival

3) It looks cool

4) Fuck off and make me a sandwich
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2016 at 12:07 am)*Deidre* Wrote:
(January 3, 2016 at 11:49 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: I agree, when you don't have an answer for something, the rational answer is I don't know. Turning to your imagination to come up with answers is in no way a pathway to truth.

Maybe it's not one's imagination.  Cool

If it's not your imagination, you ought to have evidence to present to prove it.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
(January 5, 2016 at 2:28 am)robvalue Wrote: I've always thought that if you're going to worship anything, the sun would be the best choice by far.

1) It exists

3) It looks cool

The one problem with this is the lack of conciousness, the thing is a ball of plasma after all.
For me, I fall back on my ancestors whose efforts over countless generations have made me what I am.
These do have the added benefit of providing examples of actions to follow or avoid in various situations.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Double post, ignore.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(January 5, 2016 at 2:28 am)robvalue Wrote: I've always thought that if you're going to worship anything, the sun would be the best choice by far.

1) It exists

3) It looks cool

Um #4? lol

The sun is one of the earliest 'gods' I do believe. lol 

Shamanism is thought to be the very first 'religion' and it mainly dealt with varying forms of consciousness. Think even back then, people had a natural curiosity as to what lurks beyond all we can see, touch, etc...
(December 30, 2015 at 10:17 am)*Deidre* Wrote: If you were ever a theist/believer, what led you to no longer believe? Not looking to preach, that’s not my thing and it’s against rules anyway, but just curious. I remember my own journey over the past few years with it all, and just thought it’d be interesting to hear your ‘stories’ if you were once believers before identifying as an atheist.  Heart

Simple: there is no supportable reason to believe, and all questions asked on why anyone should were met with answers which were either shifty or defensive.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
Yeah, the sun doesn't have a consciousness. Probably. It may well have "something", that could be roughly approximated to consciousness. I've wondered about such things.

But it's still more likely that the sun does have one, than something not even proven to exist at all.

Where's my sandwich? Tongue

I could understand being simply grateful to the sun and celebrating it, even if you don't think it's aware you're worshipping it. That would be where I would start.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I believe the Sun does have a spirit/perception/knowledge. I would not worship it however simply because no matter how great a being is, all beings and all possibilities of beings, cannot compare to the absolute. Because my reverence for the absolute is so much higher then everything else, and everything else pales in comparison to it, and worship as I understand is meant to be used for highest reverence we have for beings, I will not worship anything else. Nothing can be a god to me, because it has no level close to God.
(January 5, 2016 at 3:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I believe the Sun does have a spirit/perception/knowledge. I would not worship it however simply because no matter how great a being is, all beings and all possibilities of beings, cannot compare to the absolute. Because my reverence for the absolute is so much higher then everything else, and everything else pales in comparison to it, and worship as I understand is meant to be used for highest reverence we have for beings, I will not worship anything else. Nothing can be a god to me, because it has no level close to God.

You seem very grounded and at peace, Mystic. Consistent. I admire this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3426 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 472 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2072 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2065 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1625 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 12176 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4176 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 154380 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7822 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 13091 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne