Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 10:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My anti-theistic perspective
RE: My anti-theistic perspective
(February 2, 2016 at 4:58 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 4:56 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: Shamanism doesn't count?

Shamanism is a religion the way monotheism is. A type of religion, not a specific religion with a set of tenants and dogmas.

Does a religion have to have a set of tenants and dogmas? If we define religion as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" then there would certainly be religion that precedes writing.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 4:58 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Shamanism is a religion the way monotheism is. A type of religion, not a specific religion with a set of tenants and dogmas.

Does a religion have to have a set of tenants and dogmas? If we define religion as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" then there would certainly be religion that precedes writing.

No. Nor did I imply that. Monotheism is a descriptor for a type of religion. Specifically, one with a single "god." No tenants or dogmas necessary. Christianity is a descriptor of a specific set of beliefs, a formalized religion, complete with tenants and dogmas. This is the type of religion that was being described as older than writing. People have believed in gods in some form or other (as far as we can tell) for as long as there have been people. So, the general description of religion has been around longer than writing but none of the specific religions know today have.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 2, 2016 at 5:29 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Aegon Wrote: Does a religion have to have a set of tenants and dogmas? If we define religion as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods" then there would certainly be religion that precedes writing.

No. Nor did I imply that. Monotheism is a descriptor for a type of religion. Specifically, one with a single "god." No tenants or dogmas necessary. Christianity is a descriptor of a specific set of beliefs, a formalized religion, complete with tenants and dogmas. This is the type of religion that was being described as older than writing. People have believed in gods in some form or other (as far as we can tell) for as long as there have been people. So, the general description of religion has been around longer than writing but none of the specific religions know today have.

Oh okay. I thought you were implying that a religion had to have those things. Never mind.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 2, 2016 at 5:43 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 5:29 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: No. Nor did I imply that. Monotheism is a descriptor for a type of religion. Specifically, one with a single "god." No tenants or dogmas necessary. Christianity is a descriptor of a specific set of beliefs, a formalized religion, complete with tenants and dogmas. This is the type of religion that was being described as older than writing. People have believed in gods in some form or other (as far as we can tell) for as long as there have been people. So, the general description of religion has been around longer than writing but none of the specific religions know today have.

Oh okay. I thought you were implying that a religion had to have those things. Never mind.

It's all good. Sometimes what I'm thinking is far clearer that what reaches the page. Smile
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 2, 2016 at 4:50 pm)abaris Wrote:
(February 2, 2016 at 4:10 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Some religions have existed since written history, Judaism and Hinduism.

No, they haven't. Writing is older.

I got that bit wrong but the main point I was trying to make which I totally failed to make because I was typing while in a rush is some of the old religions that were around during written history are now seen as myths, but they didn't become to be seen as myths because of logical reasoning, for the most part they became seen as myths because Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and judiasm forced them out of popularity. Now we're in the age of information, we have the Internet, mass printed books, film and television and these religions aren't really slowing down that much, there's no new religions over taking them, Muslim and Christian birth rates are quite high and bibles and qurans are still probably 2 of the most popular books in the world.
On top of this try looking online for people who still worship Egyptian, Greek or Roman gods and you will find some maniacs who still do.
So that therefore is why I don't think it's as simple as saying this is what happened to those religions so I know it will happen to the rest.
On the other hand I don't doubt in the slightest a new religion could be formed and overtake the main ones we have now, maybe even atheism could prevail, but I wouldn't be to sure of anything.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

When confronted by the awesomeness of the universe, I am reasonably unimportant; as are all lives.

When confronted with such a logical thought, I shall not shed a tear over the death of anyone.

Besides, I am still against the death penalty.

Unless one is a theist, but to be honest what true theist is going to do anything against his religion to end up in prison, correct?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If you're against the death penalty only for atheists, then you're not against the death penalty... Undecided
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
KitanWhen confronted by the awesomeness of the universe, I am reasonably unimportant; as are all lives.

When confronted with such a logical thought, I shall not shed a tear over the death of anyone.

Unless one is a theist, but to be honest what true theist is going to do anything against his religion to end up in prison, correct?

Please do all decent atheists and anti-theists a favor and kill yourself now!
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(February 3, 2016 at 5:10 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: Please do all decent atheists and anti-theists a favor and kill yourself now!

No, thank you. Wink
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 3, 2016 at 5:10 pm)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote: KitanWhen confronted by the awesomeness of the universe, I am reasonably unimportant; as are all lives.

Please do all decent atheists and anti-theists a favor and kill yourself now!

This is where I draw the line. I am all for attacking religious claims and bad ideas that lead our fellow humans to harm each other.. But not even the word "atheist" is a moral code. It merely means off on god claims. We can attack bad claims without wishing death on non violent humans. Do you think if all 7 billion humans were all atheists, there would be no divisions or greed? We are still the same species.

Now if you were saying that jokingly ok. It is a misunderstanding on my part.

If you want to show the absurdity of god belief I usually put it like this, "If you want to prove to me there is a afterlife, decapitate yourself, and come back to your own body, ask god to regrow your head for you. BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT."

Religion already does a great job causing violence with other labels and even within the same label, I don't think the world needs more violence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would this spark a theistic curiousity? Won2blv 7 657 September 9, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2301 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2079 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 15035 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3515 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19136 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7166 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3557 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 52729 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1135 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89