Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
Religion: a socially acceptable delusion.

Deism: a personified emotional need for an answer, fair enough. Pretty harmless, although irrational.

Religious theism: unfounded beliefs, often including-

(1) The creator still exists
(2) The creator is aware of us
(3) The creator realizes we're self-aware
(4) The creator is concerned with what we do
(5) The creator appeared at some point and dictated a load of bizarre garbled messages which are supposed to be meaningful to us
(6) The creator plans to manifest us in some other reality based on some rules which no one can agree on, and which it doesn't feel necessary to clarify, often including believing things based on no evidence
(7) We can somehow interact with the creator
(8) Everyone else who claims to interact with the creator but comes back with a different message is wrong
(9) The creator is all powerful and compassionate yet created and allows suffering
(10) The creator knows what we will do in advance, yet we have a genuine choice too
(11) The creator won't provide anyone with evidence until they already believe, yet it wants people to go around explaining how it is real, using unreasonable pressure
(12) The creator is fine with all these incorrect religions, and the divisiveness and deaths the conflicts between them cause
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The most convincing reason I have for not believing, is not being convinced.
The remarkable similarity between a believer defending their relationship with god, and a child trying to hold onto belief in Santa or fairies. It's so fricking obvious it's painful to me. Grasping at straws and throwing tantrums.

And the way god agrees with everyone, yet they don't agree with each other. How this can't bother religious people more, I don't know. God is very much a personal god. It's their own personal idea of god.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh, I forgot to reply to the OP. The reasons I don't believe? I've heard lots of different religious propositions and if I had to sum up why I don't believe them... I guess you could say that my "reasons for disbelief" are the things believers have said. That's really all we have to go off of with this stuff, right? Things people say? The combination of supernatural claims combined with the lack of supernatural phenomena seems to make it hard for anyone to form a belief about religion. Of course, all things make sense to those who don't really care to think about it, but that's not what we're talking about...is it?
(May 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 3:54 pm)Drich Wrote: meh...

one man's F-up is anothers opportunity. In the end I said what I had to say, and your evaluation of my delivery nor anyone else's can change that.

Or did you really think You (of all people) could bait me into an "up sell?"
ROFLOL

A minute ago you were here to bring us an accurate picture of god..but now it's only important that you can hear your own voice?

the picture was delivered. You are now wanting me to sell it to you. That's not what I do.
You aren't the one who gets to decide that Drich.  The picture wasn't delivered, I neither understand what it is you're talking about or assign you enough credibility for your ramblings to refer to -anything- other than your own self-aggrandizement.

If you've been tasked, or given yourself the task, of delivering an important message...opening the door to a crowded hall and yelling in a language no one understands about something no one in the room believes in is most definitely not "delivering the message".  You're simply making an excuse for your own ineptitude.  

But in this response, as in so many others, we see that you don't actually believe your masters message is serious enough to deserve even the most marginal amount of effort. You're content with jerking off on the page..and your contentment is the thing that matters. Not only are you a shitty messenger, you're a shitty servant....and to use one of your gems -that's going to be between you and god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: A minute ago you were here to bring us an accurate picture of god..but now it's only important that you can hear your own voice?  Again..is it any wonder that people remain unconvinced, by you or your stories..and does that really have anything to do with their laziness or excuses?

Drich doesn't give two shits whether he convinces anyone of anything. He simply relishes the prospect of fulfilling the role -- truth teller/"teacher" -- he imagines his god has assigned him. As for everyone else, if they come to the same conclusions he has reached . . . great. If not, they get what's coming to them. No skin off his dick. I long ago realized that Drich is a sort of latter day Tertullian when it comes to the 'unsaved'.

Tertullian always wrote under stress of a felt necessity. He was never so happy as when he had opponents like Marcion and Praxeas, and, however abstract the ideas may be which he treated, he was always moved by practical considerations to make his case clear and irresistible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertullian

All for the irresistible part, you make a fair assessment. I do feel it necessary to write and explain God's truth so that you all can make a clear decision based off of contextual biblical fact and not some twisted version of Christianity.

And, it's not that I do not care. For some of you I truly am pulling/praying for you, (and your family members as some of you have asked.) However, I feel personal investment on my end of your eternal state is completely pointless and often times counter productive, as most of you know full well how to manipulate those who are vested in your salvation. I decided long ago the best way to help any of you is to detach from my personal wants or wishes for you, and provide God's truth whatever that may look like to you. Then trust that those of you who are seeking it will indeed find it.

This idea comes from the parable of the weeds. in that a land owner plants a wheat field and that night an enemy seeds his field with tares/weeds that look like wheat but can not be eaten. As they grow together it is appearent that wheat and weeds are growing along side one another. a Servant asks the land owner should we go through and pull up the weeds? He said no, because you will up root the wheat with the weeds. Wait to the harvest and the wheat will be separated from the weeds then.

The wheat in this field are those who truly don't know who God is, but grew up with some idea of Him that they tested and rightly found to be fake/empty, so they disbelieve in their understanding or version of Him. The weeds simply hate God, and will do no matter what.

It is not my job to know which one of you is wheat and which one of you is weed. My job is to nourish the whole field till Jesus comes and judges for himself wheat and weed.

That means I answer questions and provide clarity, and I will go/follow up so long as you ask a question or seem to be confused about God till He takes me Home or somehow takes this responsibility from me. That does not mean I have to chase you all where ever you want me to go.
Maybe there are no weeds and no wheat...you're just bad at this? I know, it's a radical idea. It's probably more likely that the tool's weeds and wheat description of human beings is accurate...than that you aren't good at something. Your failures are most likely the result of the faults of everyone else on earth, rather than your own shortcomings.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Drich wants it both ways at once, nurturing the whole field with his own brand of manure and hoping to raise the wheat, but the weeds are to blame for not meeting the standard for the harvest.

Quote:Witchsmeller Pursuivant: (GOOD and EVIL are written on either fist) I have two functions - to protect the good, and to crush the evil...

(reveals an egg in each hand)

Watch!

(Witchsmeller instantly clenches both fists)

Prince Harry: Fascinating! Absolutely fascinating! Erm... actually, you have crushed both eggs, you know.

Witchsmeller: Some that seem good sometimes proveth to be evil.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Some who want to seem good prove to be wankering off all over the forum
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24825 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1489 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4006 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2593 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 85863 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7971 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10408 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22398 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 104627 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22624 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic