Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 12:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
RE: *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems?
(December 2, 2017 at 4:12 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: Yup we all die . Why should that bother anyone? Why focus on death rather then life ? Why should one wish to return ? for what ends? 

Usually, this is a two sided problem.
- On the one hand, the selfish "I want to live forever" that you mentioned.

- On the other hand, there's the "I don't want my loved ones to stop existing". And this is the most difficult to cope with, when one of them does die. It certainly feels good to think that they go to a better place and that we'll join with them when our time comes.
(December 2, 2017 at 5:28 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(December 2, 2017 at 4:12 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: Yup we all die . Why should that bother anyone? Why focus on death rather then life ? Why should one wish to return ? for what ends? 

Usually, this is a two sided problem.

- On the other hand, there's the "I don't want my loved ones to stop existing". And this is the most difficult to cope with, when one of them does die. It certainly feels good to think that they go to a better place and that we'll join with them when our time comes.

I do not think it is selfish  . I simply ask why would care to live forever ? As for the notion of rejoining people i loved . Why would said rejoining make it better? Never once have thought that reunion with people i have lost should be a thing i should particularly want . I loved them .I lost them . I have fond memories that will carry me through till death.

But can see your point how that might not be best for some
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 2, 2017 at 5:39 pm)Tizheruk Wrote:
(December 2, 2017 at 5:28 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Usually, this is a two sided problem.

I do not think it is selfish  . I simply ask why would care to live forever ? As for the notion of rejoining people i loved . Why would said rejoining make it better? Never once have thought that reunion with people i have lost should be a thing i should particularly want . I loved them .I lost them . I have fond memories that will carry me through till death.

But can see your point

Really? That's strange. Can't say I've ever come across a person having the sentiment of not wanting to be reunited with the ones they love.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 2, 2017 at 5:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 2, 2017 at 5:39 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: I do not think it is selfish  . I simply ask why would care to live forever ? As for the notion of rejoining people i loved . Why would said rejoining make it better? Never once have thought that reunion with people i have lost should be a thing i should particularly want . I loved them .I lost them . I have fond memories that will carry me through till death.

But can see your point

Really? That's strange. Can't say I've ever come across a person having the sentiment of not wanting to be reunited with the ones they love.

I simply don't see the point . Maybe it's my age. After all i'm not far off from the end myself i imagine . Or the fact i have seen so much death .Most of my childhood friends are long gone  . Or maybe it's influenced by culture  . But i don't see begin gone as bad . Nor reuniting as necessarily good .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Missing someone you love and wanting to see them again seems natural to me, but fair enough.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 2, 2017 at 6:11 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Missing someone you love and wanting to see them again seems natural to me, but fair enough.

Missing them and wishing you could see them again are indeed natural.  Thinking you could .. is natural enough in your world, bordering on delusional in mine.
[Commenter offscreen: it is indeed all it seems]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 2, 2017 at 11:37 am)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: [A god gives] the universe greater meaning because if it were to exist it would mean the following: We may one day be reunited with our family members and friends who have passed on; there will be justice and judgments for both the good and bad; we are each of value, indispensable, and worthy of love; and the world was created with some greater purpose in mind rather than just from a sheer cold happenstance - to name just a few.

That doesn't do a thing for me.  I create my own meaning and purpose in life, and simply don't need a façade of supernatural stuff and whatnot.
(December 2, 2017 at 11:53 am)J a c k Wrote: “I’ve just seen some flaws in atheism...”

Lol I don’t believe for a second that this dude was atheist.

He doesn't even know what atheism is.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(December 1, 2017 at 11:50 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: [Image: Trolling_or_stupid.jpg]

[Image: 20f366.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2958 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5232 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 849 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8371 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  What atheism is REALLY all about SisterAgatha 71 10516 October 13, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27411 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 6054 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1573 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4608 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 15628 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet