Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 9:04 am

Poll: .
This poll is closed.
yes, it is unnatural
29.17%
7 29.17%
no, it is not unnatural
70.83%
17 70.83%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is long term monogamy unnatural for human beings?
RE: Is long term monogamy unnatural for human beings?
Some of us take the "winning" aspect of one game and apply it to the other.  Humans are remarkably flexible.  Hard to pin down. For all intents and purposes we're the earths premier generalists.....coincidentally, we run this rock.

I;d like nothing more than for all of the males of this world to abandon their spawn..... besides me. That's a default win condition. Stubbornly, they refuse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 2, 2018 at 6:29 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: *Deidre* studies use statistics. And statistics means shit when it comes to how humans ought to be, it just shows how they are in a certain society, at a certain time.

And that is one of the big flaws in Psychology.

I know, but it offers a gauge.

(April 2, 2018 at 6:36 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I;d like nothing more than for all of the males of this world to abandon their spawn..... besides me.  That's a default win condition.  Stubbornly, they refuse.

what?  Big Grin
It;s really simple.  If the men of the world were somehow predisposed towards shit I;m not, my children win by default.  My children don't win by default..mostly because the men of the world are no more predisposed against monogamy than they are predisposed towards it.  It's a fair game.  I would win an unfair game.  I have a natural advantage.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: Dj99M.gif]
Leaves me speechless too.  I really wish they were unmitigated bastards.  Sadly, they're not.  Bunch of assholes, if you ask me. They won't give me a goddamned thing!
(April 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Leaves me speechless too.  I really wish they were unmitigated bastards.  Sadly, they're not.  Bunch of assholes, if you ask me.  They won't give me a goddamned thing!

Don't show them your comments.  Big Grin
Personally, I think as long as you're single you can have as much fun as you like.

Once in a relationship, you stay loyal.

If it's an open relationship and you both agree, however...
Dying to live, living to die.
I don't think either long term monogamy or whatever the alternative is can be unnatural.

For some people, having a life long partner is what they desire.

For others, maybe one romantic partner and a relationship that is open to other sexual partners.

For others, maybe polyamory.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It's a cultural norm, and there are many benefits given for it. I'm kind of curious about how often people tend to stay together when they don't have some form of written contract between them, but ironically our society actually looks down on people living together and making love when they're not bound together legally.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Not unnatural, no.

But it doesn't work for everyone.  My husband and I aren't monogamous.  But that's just our kind of thing.  If everyone were turned on by the same things, the world would be a boring place.  If my husband wanted monogamy, I could do it.  We both agreed that if either of us decides that's not what we want anymore, that we'll stop. We have a very open and honest relationship.  We don't lie to each other at all.  It doesn't bother me when he finds other women attractive, and it doesn't bother him when I find other men (or even women) attractive.  I actually like hearing about his rendezvous with other women.  We have zero jealousy in our relationship, so it works.  Because at the end of the day we know that we put each other first.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a term for . . . Porcupine 12 861 July 26, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Long time no see T.J. 15 1405 August 8, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6264 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6535 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3145 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How long could you survive... Gawdzilla Sama 26 3498 April 12, 2017 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The effects of long term stress on everyday functionality Sterben 23 1666 March 12, 2017 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  How long is yours? Exian 56 5279 November 27, 2015 at 1:47 am
Last Post: Alex K
  The Secret to a Long Life Pyrrho 8 1816 June 16, 2015 at 2:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  You know you've been on AF for too long when... Kayenneh 22 7778 May 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Violet