Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(February 24, 2020 at 9:06 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 24, 2020 at 8:24 am)Belacqua Wrote: Suppose the father doesn't want to pay to support the child after it's born. Is it ethical for the government to force him to pay? 

How do we decide when a parent should be forced to support and when he or she shouldn't be forced?

Courts make these decisions all the time, it's not really a burning ethical question.  The father of a child is generally obligated to contribute financially to the support of that child and is punished if he fails in that obligation.  The mother generally contributes less financially because the burden of care tends to be on her.

But I'm not sure that the two situations have anything to do with one another.  Carrying a foetus to term entails health risks, both physical and emotional.  Signing a support cheque does not.

Boru
Not to mentions ones jus paying some money the other is literally giving up sovereignty of their body .The idea these two things are equal is absurd .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Force is force. It probably isn't ethical all the time. There's a disparity in how we view and apply our ethical summaries of men and women. Patriarchy hurts mentoo..and all that shit.

This would be an argument for expanding a mans reproductive rights, not diminishing a womans.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 24, 2020 at 7:47 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(February 23, 2020 at 7:43 am)Belacqua Wrote: At what age can a child survive without the help of other human beings? The carer needs his own organs to survive, and the child needs the carer. Therefore, the carer's organs are necessary for the child's survival, long after it is born.

Put into the forest without assistance, no child could survive. Put into the world without the whole network of society, very few adults could survive. 

A fetus is dependent on others, but so is every adult.

Yes, and it's unethical to force somebody to give his meal to a poor hungry person just because that poor hungry person depends on that for their survival. Similarly, it's unethical to force a woman to carry a fetus if she doesn't want to.
Agreed somewhat 

It's wrong to force a women to carry entity withing her body .It's a violation .This not the same a social dependence .Thus the comparison is absurd .

(February 24, 2020 at 9:17 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Force is force.  It probably isn't ethical all the time.  There's a disparity in how we view and apply our ethical summaries of men and women.  Patriarchy hurts mentoo..and all that shit.

This would be an argument for expanding a mans reproductive rights, not diminishing a womans.
That maybe true i'm simply saying that it's not the same
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:A man is beating a six year old with a stick. Is bashing him immoral?

Another man is raping a woman. Is stabbing him immoral?

A third man is hold a bus load of people hostage. Is shooting him immoral?

Uv shown that inflicting pain isn't immoral in a few cases
It doesn't mean that inflicting pain is never immoral cos most of the time it is

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:You can look up a definition of morality for yourself. It’s a little more complicated than inflicting pain.

It can be more complicated but it can also be very simple. Causing harm is usually immoral, not always but most of the time

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:But I’m more interested in an answer to my question. If a fetus is anesthetized so that it feels no pain during the abortion, does that abortion become moral?

You have to cause pain to deliver the anesthetic. I've never had an injection that didn't hurt

The Grand Nudger Wrote:All this talk about causing pain, seems to me the little fucker is going to cause mommy more pain regardless. Seems to me that you would like to cause mommy some pain as well

It has to be a conscious act for it to be immoral. The baby doesn't consciously hurt the mother

The Grand Nudger Wrote:It's not just that your moral condemnation is childish, Agno..it's that you're not going to apply it to the bay-bee or yourself

Resorting to ad hominem. We all know what that means. 
An honest person would admit that it's not a bad argument
A dishonest person acknowledges the good argument by resorting to ad hominem

The baby is incapable of committing a conscious act so it's not being immoral.
Myself? I have nothing to do with it. I didn't fuck her... LoL... Its not mine im not paying alimony

The woman put herself in this position. She is the only one to blame for being in this situation, not the baby

But if ur still simpin many women opt for cesarean births these days
If u don't want to stretch out your womans vagina its a good option  

@SUNGULA
Hehehe man u are a classic. Notice how no one is responding to u. Its cos ur always a step or two behind mate.
I bet u can't identify the post we are all talking about.
(February 24, 2020 at 9:44 am)Agnostico Wrote:
BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:A man is beating a six year old with a stick. Is bashing him immoral?

Another man is raping a woman. Is stabbing him immoral?

A third man is hold a bus load of people hostage. Is shooting him immoral?

Uv shown that inflicting pain isn't immoral in a few cases
It doesn't mean that inflicting pain is never immoral cos most of the time it is

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:You can look up a definition of morality for yourself. It’s a little more complicated than inflicting pain.

It can be more complicated but it can also be very simple. Causing harm is usually immoral, not always but most of the time

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:But I’m more interested in an answer to my question. If a fetus is anesthetized so that it feels no pain during the abortion, does that abortion become moral?

You have to cause pain to deliver the anesthetic. I've never had an injection that didn't hurt

Of course inflicting pain can be immoral. But since we agree that it isn’t ALWAYS immoral, your assertion fails, as it becomes evident that not all abortions are immoral. Inflicting pain  cannot be said to be the sole determining factor of morality.

Who says the anesthetic has to be delivered via injection? There’s gas and (I would imagine) other methods of delivery that don’t require an injection.

So you’ve never had a shot that didn’t hurt. So what? If pain is, as you claim, a determining factor of morality, isn’t reason you got the shot (preventing/curing disease, prep for surgery, alleviating greater pain, whatever) more moral than the pain of a pinprick?

Boru
(February 24, 2020 at 9:44 am)Agnostico Wrote: The baby is incapable of committing a conscious act so it's not being immoral.
I'm glad that we're establishing more specific grounds for an immoral act.  That's the point entirely.  It may even be that consciously causing pain isn't enough to establish that something is an immoral act, as your conversation with Boru handily demonstrates.  

Quote:Myself? I have nothing to do with it. I didn't fuck her... LoL... Its not mine im not paying alimony
Insomuch as you would support or enact any restriction based upon these positions of yours..ofc you do.  Just as much as my own refusal to support any such restriction does mean bay-bees will die.  Let's remind ourselves that this chain of responsibility is not a one way street.  

Quote:The woman put herself in this position. She is the only one to blame for being in this situation, not the baby
No one doubts that a woman is responsible for the decision.  At issue, and correct me if I'm wrong here..is whether a woman making that decision can be said to be acting ethically.

Quote:But if ur still simpin many women opt for cesarean births these days
If u don't want to stretch out your womans vagina its a good option  

What the fuck is wrong with you?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 24, 2020 at 8:24 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(February 24, 2020 at 7:47 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Belacqua
it's unethical to force a woman to carry a fetus if she doesn't want to.

Suppose the father doesn't want to pay to support the child after it's born. Is it ethical for the government to force him to pay? 

How do we decide when a parent should be forced to support and when he or she shouldn't be forced?
Well, I think it's unethical for a government to force a father to pay alimentation. Unless the father stole the money from the mother. The father might have legitimate reasons for refusing to pay. Maybe he needs that money more than the mother does, maybe he needs that money to pay for his medication which he will die if he doesn't manage to pay. The government can't be expected to always have the information it needs to make such decisions.
I do agree that if a woman can make the decision on her own what to do with her own body, the man should have a viable option of not providing care for a child he never wanted. There are two people to consider, and the law favoring the woman in a time when women are keen on equality and independence makes no sense. If the woman wants autonomy over her body, let her alone take care of the child she wants to keep when the father wants no part.
(February 24, 2020 at 10:15 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: What the fuck is wrong with you?

Knowledge i guess...  Some cesarian births are done for the sole reason of pussy stretch. Look it up if u don't believe me. A vagina changes totally after childbirth

The Grand Nudger Wrote:I'm glad that we're establishing more specific grounds for an immoral act.

I established that conscious act was a part of it in my argument already

The Grand Nudger Wrote:It may even be that consciously causing pain isn't enough to establish that something is an immoral act

I made this clear in my argument. It must be a conscious act that causes harm for it to be immoral. Yes there are some rare acceptations
An unconscious act causing harm is usually an accident

I tend to still follow the morals of scripture seeing its got western society this far and there isn't much wrong with it. 
Some atheist want to scrap all that. How then would we define what is moral without it just becoming peoples subjective opinions?

3 minutes into this video has a good explanation of how to discern a moral act from an immoral one without using religion.

BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:Of course inflicting pain can be immoral. But since we agree that it isn’t ALWAYS immoral, your assertion fails, as it becomes evident that not all abortions are immoral

I didn't assert that all abortions were immoral, Im just showing how some can be viewed by people as immoral
Your statement that not all abortions are immoral shows me that you are aware how some abortions can be immoral

We won't change each others minds but it looks like we understand each other i think. That's really all i can hope to achieve, understanding
I don't think that we're dealing with rare exceptions. We could rattle off thousands of these exceptions between us - and there would still be more. You offered an incomplete ethical assessment.

"Following the rules of scripture" a whole hell of alot would be forbidden - but that's no indication that their taboo status is warranted by some ethical provision. Abortion, though...fine by scripture. Suspicious of your wife? Put her through the ordeal of the bitter waters. She has no choice in the matter. As far as problems with scriptural morals.....history and the present moment is a running account.

You've confused magic book and it's necessarily subjective morality for moral realism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 16979 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7715 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1484 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5572 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3574 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9764 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2514 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4597 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7112 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14964 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw