Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 12:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far reaching are God's powers?
RE: How far reaching are God's powers?
(November 12, 2020 at 11:31 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Perhaps I'm not cursed and your failures aren't a gods fault, you just didn't understand the terms?

Not interested in answering any of your other comments. No need to kick dead horses. However I don't see how your definition isn't in line with my own, though it is perhaps a tad more specific I don't see that it changes anything.

(November 12, 2020 at 11:35 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: If free will is an illusion, no one can really choose anything.

True! And that's why salvation is never deserved, but a gift.

Although, I'm not sure I would word it that way, even though you're technically correct. God eventually gives us the ability to choose good, but there is a process that must take place in order for that to happen and it is still 100% grace, not earned.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:13 am)MilesAbbott81 Wrote: Of course nothing could exist. What a ridiculous thing to say. It wouldn't have that name, and would have no one to quantify it, and you're right, therefore it wouldn't actually exist, but from our perspective it could exist, because it would be the opposite, or absence, of our existence.

All you've done is vomited out something you think is clever when it's actually incredibly stupid. I am very clearly saying that nothing can't create anything, that the universe did not suddenly emerge from nowhere. Since there is no plausible natural or scientific explanation as to how the universe came about, the only explanation that makes any sense is a supernatural one.

You can start spewing your God particle theories and whatnot, but I have no interest in arguing things that are self-evident, and will merely tell you, on God's authority, that you are wrong to accredit anyone but Him with the creation of the universe. If you can't believe that, not my problem.

More unsupported assertions....

And rude, too.

"...Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be so. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Where envying and strife are, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be entreated". James 3: 10-17.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:35 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: If free will is an illusion, no one can really choose anything.

I believe that we make absolutely make choices.  I don't believe they are free.  That's a discussion for another thread.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:41 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(November 11, 2020 at 11:15 pm)MilesAbbott81 Wrote: I read a few paragraphs, over the course of which I saw not a single valid criticism. I would be happy to point out all of the obviously ignorant statements in it, but the list would take far too long. I suggest you find some better material; I'm sure there's some out there.

From the guy who accused someone of being irrational for not reading their whole rant about them wanting to be a dictator?

There is a huge difference in reading a small post of mine and a virtual encyclopedia of obviously erroneous information written by an ignoramus. I read it for a few minutes, which is much more than it deserved.

(November 12, 2020 at 11:48 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: More unsupported assertions....

And rude, too.

"...Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be so. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Where envying and strife are, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be entreated". James 3: 10-17.

Unsupported assertions according to your...unsupported assertion?

Rude?

Excuse me, but your first post in response to me was a literal mockery, which you followed up with accusing me of dehumanizing people. I'll not be subjected to your moral double standard, thanks.

(November 12, 2020 at 11:48 am)HappySkeptic Wrote:

I believe that we make absolutely make choices.  I don't believe they are free.  That's a discussion for another thread.

We do make choices, however they're within the confines of what God allows. We cannot exercise our free will at all, because we can't bend the world to our will as God can bend it to His.

You can decide to be a moral, upright citizen, but that doesn't mean you have the will to accomplish it. You will inevitably fail.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:39 am)MilesAbbott81 Wrote: People don't criticize God as though they're doing a film review. People criticize God because they disagree with Him, and they disagree with Him because they believe they should have dominion over what they themselves can or cannot do. That's just how our natures work.

To have dominion over God is to tyrannize Him, to force Him to put up with sin. This He will not do.

I would avoid making assertions about what other people do in a way that only requires one exception to prove you wrong.

The main thing wrong with the concept of God, completely aside from how some of his followers portray him, is that he's indistinguishable from other fictional characters that some people believe are real, but actually are probably not, in my estimation, the only estimation I can have. I don't think Vishnu is real, and it's certainly not because I want dominion over him or want his throne, it's just that the evidence for him being real is unconvincing to me; even though hundreds of thousands of people find him completely plausible. And the idea that not believing in Vishnu gives me some sort of dominion over him doesn't seem to follow at all. If Vishnu is real, my believing or not believing in him should not affect him in the slightest.
Well, that's wonderful Miles - I don't believe that a productive discussion can be had without some point of initial agreement and acknowledgement. Since we use the same definitions, you should be able to explain to me how moral incompetents can be morally responsible.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 12, 2020 at 11:29 am)HappySkeptic Wrote: And this is why you fail to be rational.  Every claim about God should be divided into two categories -- testable and non-testable. 

The non-testable ones are matters of pure belief, faith or theology.  They can have no affect on the real world, because anything non-random that affects the world can be tested.

The testable ones are really important to test.  Claims that God heals, or punishes, or does things for believers are absolutely testable.  No, the God itself isn't testable, but the claim that "if I pray for healing, it will happen more often than if I don't pray" is a testable claim.  The claim that God in any way actively makes changes to the world that disobey laws, can be tested statistically.

Now, if you are saying that God designed the laws of the universe to play out to punish people for moral failing, then I would still say this is testable.  Yes, stupidity has its own punishment, but moral failing is often rewarded by the laws of the universe unless people intervene.  Morals are not given by a god, they are part of being societal creatures.  They change according to society.  Where they have continuity, it is because of our common humanity, not because of gods.

Who says God must react on demand or obey some test that couldn't possibly be performed? How are you supposed to, for instance, measure the sincerity of someone's heart? That would be necessary to test any prayer.

The Scriptures say that our hearts are desperately wicked and unknowable, so you can't even test your own heart, much less someone else's.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:49 am)MilesAbbott81 Wrote:
(November 12, 2020 at 11:41 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: From the guy who accused someone of being irrational for not reading their whole rant about them wanting to be a dictator?

There is a huge difference in reading a small post of mine and a virtual encyclopedia of obviously erroneous information written by an ignoramus. I read it for a few minutes, which is much more than it deserved.

(November 12, 2020 at 11:48 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: More unsupported assertions....

And rude, too.

Unsupported assertions according to your...unsupported assertion?

Rude?

Excuse me, but your first post in response to me was a literal mockery, which you followed up with accusing me of dehumanizing people. I'll not be subjected to your moral double standard, thanks.

You realize the point of my arguing by assertion was to illustrate the valuelessness of that form of discourse, right? If you grasped that you might have felt educated instead of mocked. Although now that I think on it, it may sounded insulting because your original phrasing was presented in such an insulting and denigrating fashion.

And it's not my standard, it's the Bible's.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:58 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I would avoid making assertions about what other people do in a way that only requires one exception to prove you wrong.

The main thing wrong with the concept of God, completely aside from how some of his followers portray him, is that he's indistinguishable from other fictional characters that some people believe are real, but actually are probably not, in my estimation, the only estimation I can have. I don't think Vishnu is real, and it's certainly not because I want dominion over him or want his throne, it's just that the evidence for him being real is unconvincing to me; even though hundreds of thousands of people find him completely plausible. And the idea that not believing in Vishnu gives me some sort of dominion over him doesn't seem to follow at all. If Vishnu is real, my believing or not believing in him should not affect him in the slightest.

Well, provide an example, then.

I am not talking about Vishnu; that's another argument entirely. We're talking about the Christian God, Jesus Christ. Tell me what it is about Him that you don't find convincing or acceptable, and I'm not talking about historical facts. Those are basically inconsequential. I'm talking about His character and His Law. What is so wrong about Him, according to you?
(November 12, 2020 at 12:01 pm)MilesAbbott81 Wrote: Who says God must react on demand or obey some test that couldn't possibly be performed? How are you supposed to, for instance, measure the sincerity of someone's heart? That would be necessary to test any prayer.

The Scriptures say that our hearts are desperately wicked and unknowable, so you can't even test your own heart, much less someone else's.
You mean that we might not be able to have complete confidence in the things tat we feel?  

If I can't know my heart, how can I know that my feelings of guilt even exist, or that they aren't disguised compulsions to wickedness?

I don't need a god to test this, there are people.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6768 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 2008 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2231 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Review so far of the Romans study Drich 199 33914 December 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 17045 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4840 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12661 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6722 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  £3 Million that could be towards far better causes darkwolf176 14 3502 May 26, 2010 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thor