Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far reaching are God's powers?
RE: How far reaching are God's powers?
(November 15, 2020 at 3:32 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:
(November 15, 2020 at 3:21 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote: Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

a toaster is created, and WCE is not. So it makes all the difference.

Uhm... that comment only makes sense simply because you've defined it that way.

'WCE' might actually have been created by 'Something else' with an effective stasis point some where 'behind' or 'above' or otherwise 'else where' but still other than WCE.

Unless your defintiion of WCE is automatically larger that 'The Univers'?

Jus' sayin'.

Not at work.

Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

The concept of "Create" is made by WCE, so again it doesn't mean anything to say WCE has been created.
And also if we keep giving every creator a creator we're going to get lost in an infinite regress, and if a creature has an infinite number of creators above him,
he won't exist in the first place.
The term won't be useful if we can't allow ourselves it's use. If whatever created the universe is a god, than not being an entity, not being a who, not being a he or a him...should not be a barrier to godhood.

If it is, then god is not an issue of whatever created the universe.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2020 at 3:43 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote: Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

The concept of "Create" is made by WCE, so again it doesn't mean anything to say WCE has been created.
And also if we keep giving every creator a creator we're going to get lost in an infinite regress, and if a creature has an infinite number of creators above him,

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm grokking what you're saying.

So in your definition what is or how far does the "EVERYTHING" extend?

Is it "JUST" the universe?

Is it 'Just the universe' PLUS something else 'beyond' 'Just the universe'?

I'm also not, definately NOT saying that your "EVERYTHING" leads to an infinte regress. I was saying that your 'EVERYTHING' creator could be part of a 'Larger' set of multiple "EVERYTHINGS".

Also, I see you've slipped in 'CreaTOR' in there. An extension on the idea of 'Create'. We're not at adding "-Tors" to anything just yet.

Great 

Not at work.
(November 15, 2020 at 3:46 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The term won't be useful if we can't allow ourselves it's use.  If whatever created the universe is a god, than not being an entity, not being a who, not being a he or a him...should not be a barrier to godhood.

God is just a name of WCE.

being an "entity" or a "who" or a "him" is what going to make the barrier, WCE is free from being those semantics.
(November 15, 2020 at 4:09 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote: Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

being an "entity" or a "who" or a "him" is what going to make the barrier, WCE is free from being those semantics.

Well...  not if you're going to kind of be disengenous with your smuggling in 'Grokking agency' into your 'Everything'.

Jus' sayin'.

Not at work.
(November 15, 2020 at 4:02 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:
(November 15, 2020 at 3:43 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote: Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm grokking what you're saying.

I'm also not, definately NOT saying that your "EVERYTHING" leads to an infinte regress. I was saying that your 'EVERYTHING' creator could be part of a 'Larger' set of multiple "EVERYTHINGS".

Also, I see you've slipped in 'CreaTOR' in there. An extension on the idea of 'Create'. We're not at adding "-Tors" to anything just yet.

Great 

Not at work.

Ok, I'm going to find something else to do because either my English is really bad or you can't understand me.
(November 15, 2020 at 4:13 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote:
(November 15, 2020 at 4:02 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm grokking what you're saying.

Great 

Not at work.

Ok, I'm going to find something else to do because either my English is really bad or you can't understand me.

Sorry.

I'm just slowly trying to work though your thing with you. Sad

Not at work.
@Peebo-Thuhlu

It's Ok, my previous comments should be enough, if not, I'm not sure I can do any better.
(November 15, 2020 at 4:09 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote:
(November 15, 2020 at 3:46 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The term won't be useful if we can't allow ourselves it's use.  If whatever created the universe is a god, than not being an entity, not being a who, not being a he or a him...should not be a barrier to godhood.

God cannot be a name for whatever created the universe if it takes a whoever to satisfy the requirements of godhood.

Goes like this...
-God is "x"
here's an x
-not a god.

Then god is not x after all. More properly, including your silent premise

-a god is a whoever, that created the universe. Not whatever created the universe. Toasters need not apply. If a toaster could create a universe (a premise which you reject assuming that this is a point of contention), it would not be a god. Is that a fair and accurate summary of your requirements for godhood?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2020 at 4:33 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(November 15, 2020 at 4:09 pm)Sound Of Reason Wrote: Definition of terms => WCE = Whatever created everything.

God cannot be a name for whatever created the universe if it takes a whoever to satisfy the requirements of godhood.

Goes like this...
-God is "x"
here's an x
-not a god.

Then god is not x after all. More properly, including your silent premise

-a god is a whoever, that created the universe.  Not whatever created the universe.  Toasters need not apply.  If a toaster could create a universe (a premise which you reject assuming that this is a point of contention), it would not be a god.  Is that a fair and accurate summary of your requirements for godhood?
Not to mention not all gods are creator gods
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6770 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 2009 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2232 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Review so far of the Romans study Drich 199 33919 December 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Does Calvinism make the most sense as far as Christianity Goes? The Batlord 63 17046 August 16, 2015 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4840 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12662 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6722 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  £3 Million that could be towards far better causes darkwolf176 14 3502 May 26, 2010 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thor