Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prayer ... SERIOUSLY?!
RE: Prayer ... SERIOUSLY?!
First of all. I dont believe the words "necessary result" in there.

Secondly where does it say how and when you will receive saving grace. How will you know someone received it?

And for third no series of verses say that.

Subtle interpretations aside lets see if you can come with the verse(s)/
(June 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Galatians 5 from the NASV
Quote:

I think it makes it fairly clear that all of those who are of Christ lost their passion for the things of the flesh when they became a Christian.

Mark 4 from the NASV
Quote:

I feel that Jesus makes it clear in this parable that God’s elect are the “good soil” and they will accept the Gospel and they will bear fruit, all those who do not bear fruit were never “good soil” or part of God’s elect. Smile
all of those who are of Christ lost their passion for the things of the flesh when they became a Christian.

so whats the difference of being a christian and only thinking they are because alot if not all christians do not show that which the verse claims.

(June 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Well claiming to be a Christian does not automatically make a person one, only saving grace does and saving grace results in the fruit of the spirit. Even though Christians will still struggle with sin, I know lots of people who say they are Christians who do exercise the fruit of the spirit.

I like you Eric, even though you may not believe it, you at least take an interest in trying to figure theological issues out. Kudos.

(June 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Well claiming to be a Christian does not automatically make a person one, only saving grace does and saving grace results in the fruit of the spirit. Even though Christians will still struggle with sin, I know lots of people who say they are Christians who do exercise the fruit of the spirit.

Also if i want any credibilty with those who do believe i need to be able to understand them.

I like you Eric, even though you may not believe it, you at least take an interest in trying to figure theological issues out. Kudos.

the main thing i agree with is the whole "neccesary result" that seems to be an added non biblical assumption.

Also most atheists i know have read quite a bit of the theology of all the major religions. I look at it much like you probably look at greek mythology. A part of culture but not fact. I plan on taking my daughter to all of the major religions on occasion so that she can be aware of them and understand and empathize with the members of those religions. I just don't believe indoctrinating her that the religions posses any revealed truths or should be free of a skeptical and curious mind.
(June 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Well I think that logically you can conclude that the fruit of the spirit is a necessary result of saving grace just from the verses I gave. It does not say it explicitly, but it does say that all of those who are of Christ will lose their passion of the things of the flesh and all of the seeds planted in good soil will bear fruit. So I believe the teaching definitely is there. I don't believe that Christianity inhibits a curious mind or skepticism for that matter; I feel it opens up the door to all sorts of knowledge and actually makes me skeptical of naturalism Smile So maybe we are just curious about and skeptical of different issues ya know?
(June 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Well I think that logically you can conclude that the fruit of the spirit is a necessary result of saving grace just from the verses I gave. It does not say it explicitly, but it does say that all of those who are of Christ will lose their passion of the things of the flesh and all of the seeds planted in good soil will bear fruit. So I believe the teaching definitely is there. I don't believe that Christianity inhibits a curious mind or skepticism for that matter; I feel it opens up the door to all sorts of knowledge and actually makes me skeptical of naturalism Smile So maybe we are just curious about and skeptical of different issues ya know?

Then you agree that the bible is wrong on many amount of things? If you are willing to interpret the bible logic or with skepticism I would argue this is a necessary result. If you need examples let me know.
(June 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm)eric209 Wrote:

Yes examples would be greatly appreciated.

(June 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm)eric209 Wrote: Then you agree that the bible is wrong on many amount of things? If you are willing to interpret the bible logic or with skepticism I would argue this is a necessary result. If you need examples let me know.

Not every work rises to the standard where it qualifies for being judged right or wrong. One class of work that could never qualify would be purposed fiction put together over several centuries by a self-righteous, provincial, bombastic, intellectually slavish class of people with multiple discreditable, propogandistic agendas, mistranscribed and edited over more centuries by committees also of self-righteous, provincial, bombastic, and intellectually slavish people. The bible is so worthless for anything except as an artifact offering insight into the intellectual pathology of superstitious people that it in itself is not even wrong.

http://atheistevolution.blogspot.com/201...fails.html

I'm sure you will agree the Bible has some errors?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5766 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7839 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 10776 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1057 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7965 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5804 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6157 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 64053 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Prayer Athena777 181 17015 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3468 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3