Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 5:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting statistics about academic philosophy
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy
(September 12, 2015 at 8:48 am)Alex K Wrote: Ok, so from my somewhat understanding of neural networks, and my complete layman's understanding of philosophy - we understand how neural networks process information and dynamically divide incoming signals into categories (reinforcement learning for example), and I simply think that old philosophers who could not possibly imagine such mechanisms at work in our heads, felt compelled to explain why we know categories of things, to explain the discreteness of categories - well, we recognize a chair for a chair independent of its detailed properties (material, color... it's always examples with chairs), so there must be some abstract idea of chairness which is a thing in idea space. Today, I would think, even our rudimentary understanding of the technical details of the mind make this much less compelling. A chair is a chair whenever the neural networks in our heads sort the incoming data into the category chair, which they have learned culturally. and that's it. My gut feeling is the abstract objects Nestor mentions, such as numbers, ideal straight lines, etc. can also be explained in this way as a property of our brains, not of the world, because what is a straight line but a category that the neural network in our heads has learned. I'm sure Nestor, who knows much more about philosophy than me, can comment whether I completely misunderstand things here.
Interesting... I would probably agree that Plato's forms are much less compelling with regards to explaining how particulars relate to universals, or vice versa, given the far more elaborate understanding of different cognitive functions - which, as you say, includes reinforcement learning - that we possess against the ancients. Of course, it seems to some extent that how our brains process the signals it translates to be appearances of three-dimensional objects, and then the mental cues it associates with them, will be somewhat arbitrary, i.e. determined by the series of accidents that comprise so much of evolutionary history. I doubt bats, for example, would experience objects - like chairs - similar to how we do... But I'm not so sure we can say quite the same thing about the apparently intrinsic values expressed in arithmetic and geometry. They would appear, to my mind anyway, to relate to the world in a way that is the complete opposite of arbitrariness or convention... almost as if there is a necessity to their properties both in relation to world and with respect to themselves, and I cannot see how neutral networks could account for that.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
Interesting statistics about academic philosophy - by Mudhammam - September 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy - by Pizza - September 17, 2015 at 6:08 am
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy - by Mudhammam - September 12, 2015 at 10:02 am
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy - by Pyrrho - September 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy - by Pizza - September 17, 2015 at 6:38 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6807 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1601 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3791 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1742 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 14003 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 323 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2763 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 5060 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8659 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12469 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy