Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
RE: Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
(January 31, 2018 at 1:13 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:

(January 30, 2018 at 10:03 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I don't think that I understand what you mean by individual agency here.  How is this different between you and I?  How about someone under an earthly kingdom or dictatorship?  I am understanding "individual agency" as independent, and capable of choice.  However I can't make sense of this in regards to how a dictatorship eliminates this (at least no more than any other form of government).  I'm unsure if this part is related, but I don't believe that I have given up my free will either;  I do know people who I believe to be saved, and all of them have free will.   And I don't have any reason to believe that we will not have free will after sanctification.  I think you may be misunderstanding something here.

Someone living in an earthly dictatorship or kingdom typically has little to no individual agency.  I mean, you're aware North Korea exists, correct?  Saudi Arabia?

I'm still looking to what you mean by individual agency here?  To my understanding, even in N. Korea and Saudi Arabia, that the people still have individual agency.   I don't think that if we where to become a dictatorship this very minute, that all of the sudden we would become robots as a result.

Also, even if they are typical, I don't see why you would point to North Korea and Saudi Arabia as an example.   Are you saying that they are good?   If not, then even if atypical  you can't reference a good dictatorship/monarchy by hand waving to these countries.   Which still leaves us with the question on what is so bad.  I'm sorry, but as I recently alluded to, I don't think that your exasperation provides us with any detail or a case for what you are complaining about.

It's not an area I have studied greatly, but I'm sure that there have been good kings, who served their people well, and  who had a strong and good government.  Even if we are left without an example, then I'm sure that an abstract ruler could be thought of, which still fits the definition of dictator/monarch and not require such control.

It is also occurring to me, that there could be some equivocation going on here.  The term dictator may be used in regards to an oppressive rule.  I think that Zen Classin may have referred to the administration here as dictators in regards to his free speech.  Another meaning of the word is referring to the structure of a government, with a single ruler as the ultimate authority.  I have been referring to the latter, because of the reference to lords/ monarchies and there is only a slight difference (in how the gained power).  I think that it would be an error of equivocation, to take the meaning of one sense of the word, and impose it on the other.  Do you think that this is possibly where some of our conflict comes from?

(January 31, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 31, 2018 at 2:17 pm)alpha male Wrote: I'm disagreeing with the assertion that god doesn't grant us any autonomy.

This is something I've noticed here. Some will complain about God having given us free will because it allows us to do bad things. Meanwhile there is complaint about God being a tyrant who won't let us do what we want lol.

I think that some do both, sometimes right after the other!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? - by RoadRunner79 - January 31, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2860 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20150 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5508 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4759 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6291 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17907 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5665 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 13330 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5845 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 5109 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon