Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I feel kind of uncomfortable going to counseling
RE: I feel kind of uncomfortable going to counseling
(April 8, 2019 at 9:33 am)Brian37 Wrote: Are you assuming this is what your therapist will do, or have they already tried selling religion to you?

If they have not done that don't assume they will try. If they have tried to sell you it, tell them to stop. If they do not, and continue to push religion, find another therapist.

This is about you, not them, not their agenda. An ethical therapist will leave their personal beliefs at the door. 

I have noticed on thing about you that is consistent when you talk about your relationships with others in general. You worry too much about what others think, and not enough about your own personal mental health. You DO NOT have to want revenge, or start a war with others when you state your feelings to others. Don't be a doormat. You can be civil in telling someone you don't want them to do certain things. But if they do continue, then it is up to you how you respond. You can only control yourself, not others.

The  conversation with your therapist can go like this.

Therapist, "Have you thought about going to church?"

You, "That is not my thing, I do want help, I just don't want religion to get it."

If they are ethical they will say

Therapist, "Ok, I can do that."

Or, "Well, I can't do that, but I'd be willing to point you to someone you'd be comfortable with."

If they are simply a fraud peddling religion they'd say,

Therapist," But you need Jesus?Allah/Yahweh."

That is when you simply get up, and walk out, and not feel the slightest  bit sorry. It is about YOU, not them.

Thanks
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin

Messages In This Thread
RE: I feel kind of uncomfortable going to counseling - by Der/die AtheistIn - April 8, 2019 at 9:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am NEVER going to the hospital again. Brian37 48 2706 December 21, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  how does it feel to be born in saudi arabia hourglass 7 641 October 7, 2020 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do I feel so awkward when someone refuses a present from me? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2263 March 30, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  i feel so angry and disapointed I believe in Harry Potter 34 3675 November 5, 2019 at 3:46 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  [Serious] You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me Belacqua 29 2926 March 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  [Serious] What's Going On In Your Life Shell B 19 2341 January 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How to hide going to therapy? Der/die AtheistIn 14 1150 January 4, 2019 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  I feel like my father is too severe Der/die AtheistIn 10 1138 November 7, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker