Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 2:16 pm

Poll: Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study?
This poll is closed.
Yes
50.00%
9 50.00%
No
27.78%
5 27.78%
Neither
0%
0 0%
Both
22.22%
4 22.22%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study?
RE: Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study?
(February 21, 2022 at 9:40 am)polymath257 Wrote: The story about Hume and Einstein actually exemplifies my point: philosophy is best when it looks at hidden assumptions and NOT when it is making grand theories. Hume noted that our assumptions about time may not be correct and Einstein actually came up with a scientific theory that gave a new way of looking at time.

Exactly. When it comes to science, philosophy provides the direction, the framework, and science then does the rest.

Remember what I said earlier, that philosophy is not in competition with science, and yet you keep falling into that trap of thinking it's supposed to be (otherwise, in your mind, it's pointless when it comes to metaphysics and science).

Quote:And, your last point that physicists have been the ones making up the interpretations is also to my point: philosophy is getting to be too hard for the philosophers. The physicists are actually the ones pushing the philosophical envelope. But the physicists also acknowledge that the differences between the interpretations are not very relevant: they all give exactly the same answers concerning observations so *they are all actually the same theory*. Sort of like the difference between Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics. The point is that some perspectives suggest ways to actually do the calculations.

Unless you have a survey to prove your what you say here, this is your subjective take of what physicists think when it comes to philosophy and specifically metaphysics. I can think of a good number of physicists who favor certain interpretations of quantum mechanics over others and do not treat them all equally in terms of credibility. Furthermore, these interpretations do reveal significant theoretical differences. For example, under the MWI there is no wavefunction collapse but under the Copenhagen there is. Under the former, the world is deterministic, whereas under the latter, the world is random. These are significant differences, so to say these interpretations are all actually the same theory is misleading.

And it's great that some physicists out there are not averse to doing some metaphysics. Seems to take some guts these days to do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? - by GrandizerII - February 21, 2022 at 11:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 7141 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1615 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3804 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1743 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2766 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 5077 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8680 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12515 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2317 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 27130 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172