Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 8, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead.
RE: The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead.
(January 26, 2023 at 10:43 am)GrandizerII Wrote:
(January 26, 2023 at 9:03 am)emjay Wrote: That 'full'; no I don't think we can ever answer that.... that part I just have to take as is. But full in the sense of a full explanation of the processes and content of consciousness, full enough to be fully predictive, would be the fullest explanation we (or at least I) could ever dream to have of consciousness, and perfectly satisfactory, to me.

I will say though that occasionally within certain theories, and I'm guessing ast will be one of them, I get some ineffable feeling about the inevitability of qualia if not the mechanism of it... so that's when I vacillate between the aforementioned 'tantamount' and 'actual'. I know such an ineffable feeling would, could, or should not convince anyone else, such as yourself, philosophically but it's good enough for me.

True, they will all be radical in some sense... but basically the more grounding they have in observable reality, the more appealing they are to me. For instance given two theories about consciousness, one purely speculative, and one that looks at the actual structures of the brain etc, the latter will always be more compelling to me.

Speaking of Mind Chat, since we were talking about pzs earlier in this thread, once you get the chance to watch some episodes, I would suggest as your first episode the one where they interview Sean Carroll. They spend quite some time getting into some of the implications of the pz thought experiment, if you wish to explore these aspects further. Although that's not one of my favourite episodes because the panpsychist dude gets wrecked really badly by Sean Carroll ... so you might like it even more because of that. Wink

On it Wink Can I infer from your last sentence that you're a Panpsychist? And maybe TGN is as well, or at least potentially, given his last post. That's why I love talking to you guys, you're always throwing curveballs Wink ETA: or not... I can't keep up sometimes... I should always wait ten minutes or so after TGN's posted something, just in case any more appears lol

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead. - by emjay - January 26, 2023 at 10:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 2699 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3347 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1670 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1157 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Jesus, a False Saviour? rolandsanjaya 17 3644 April 11, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Biblical Archaeology 1994Californication 13 3159 January 8, 2016 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3520 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  God is Dead Rant ManMadeGod 5 1882 December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ManMadeGod
  False equivalency Heat 51 6183 December 1, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 15103 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor