Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Atheism Dead?
Is Atheism Dead?
I noticed today that "Is Atheism Dead?" by Eric Metaxas occupies the top three slots in the Atheism category on Amazon. So the hardcover, Kindle version and audiobook are all outselling every other atheism book. Has anyone read this and have any thoughts? I'm going to pick it up and start working through it. From the table of contents it looks like some recycled arguments from ignorance and old fashioned atheist bashing but it's clearly getting some serious traction. A quick web search didn't turn up any serious rebuttals so I'm wondering if any have been posted.
RE: Is Atheism Dead?
Its doing well because trumpets are conditioned marks....but......I could probably make the case that it is, myself.

Dead, that is. Atheism as a social phenomena has already convinced everyone who needs convincing of the things it take strongest issue with. It's ceased to be an active agent of objection and become part of thiests beliefs, too. We simply find ourselves in the twilight of overt dissonance. If reported god belief accounted for less than 10% of the us population in my own lifetime, I wouldn't be surprised. Witchdoctors have been pulling the fire alarm for years.

As they see it, we're already there.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, no, uh,...it's resting.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Atheism was never alive, lol. Good to know that atheists are finally realizing it.
How many tribal gods do you believe in?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 5, 2021 at 12:59 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: Atheism was never alive, lol. Good to know that atheists are finally realizing it.

I'm still praying for you but each day you stray further from FSM's light.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(November 5, 2021 at 12:33 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: No, no, uh,...it's resting.

It's pining for the fjords.
Quote:Atheism was never alive, lol. Good to know that atheists are finally realizing it.
Atheism is alive and well actually and apologist hack Eric Metaxas who simply recycles long refuted crap. This is a man who thinks Trump is intelligent. That's all you need to know about vapid he is.So dream on loser  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

If atheism is dead, why don't I believe that god(s) exist?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Atheism can't die until theism is dead and buried. By then, people will no longer have to call themselves atheists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27103 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12005 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheism worships a dead god. Eilonnwy 73 23405 September 5, 2010 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Existentialist
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38077 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Atheism is DEAD... FOREVER & EVER !!! pimpf 40 9276 January 7, 2010 at 8:00 am
Last Post: TruthWorthy