Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion'
(August 28, 2009 at 1:09 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:And C. S. Lewis made some impressive philosophical statements

Please name name two and explain what you find impressive about them..

Quote:Imo, Dawkins is an amazing writer...

Are you using 'amazing' the way people tend to use "awesome"? IE not in their actual meaning,but to mean "I quite like"?

Did I misunderstand or did you just compare Plato and Richard Dawkins? Sorry to be a noodge,but I think there are couple basic differences: Plato was a great philosopher, but not a scientist..Richard Dawkins is a scientist,not a philosopher. Plato was an original thinker.Dawkins writes popular books sythesising the thoughts of others.He has nothing original to say.

If you really want to read an amazing atheist writer, read Bertrand Russell. His essay "Why I am not A Christian" is terrific. Should be available at any decent library.

Quote:Why I Am Not a Christian is an essay by the British philosopher Bertrand Russell hailed by The Independent as "devastating in its use of cold logic",[1] and listed in the New York Public Library's list of the most influential books of the 20th century.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_Am_Not_a_Christian

Sure for the two: If you see through everything, you see nothing at all. That statement is impressive because it applies pure simplicity to skepticism. Where if you are completely skeptical of everything: you can be sure of nothing, nothing is solid, nothing is fact. While he used that to defend his moronic religion, i used it to help me in the personal establishment of 1 equaling 1. Together with Plato, Lewis, and my own theorizing, i am able to solidify at least that as fact.

And a second one, rather longer: "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

The above one i apply to an 'unconditionally all-loving god' to help me prove that such a thing cannot exist. I also use it as a mirror into what a tyrant thinks, together with all i have read from Plato's Republic. Simple enough, i think. If you need any more interesting quotes from him, there is a decent page on quotes from him at http://www.quotationspage.com/search.php...&C=lindsly Although one does not get to experience the style with which Lewis makes his points by simply reading some of his quotes.

A particularly interesting third quote, however, would come from this: "Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good.". That is possibly the wisest thing the Christian ever said Wink

As to dawkins, i do indeed mean to make clear that i find his writing fascinating. He has a strong and unique voice, a creative style, and he makes excellent points. His points may not be unique, they are however: well summarized from others. Since when did someone need to be unique to be amazing?

But i have heard of Bertrand Russel, and i will check out his essay. It sounds interesting from the title Smile and thank you for the link.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by leo-rcc - December 2, 2008 at 10:20 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 2, 2008 at 4:05 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by bozo - December 2, 2008 at 4:08 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by CoxRox - December 3, 2008 at 11:31 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 12:32 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by CoxRox - December 3, 2008 at 11:43 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by CoxRox - December 3, 2008 at 12:15 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 3, 2008 at 4:45 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 3:02 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 3:43 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 3:18 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 10:53 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 11:41 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by LukeMC - December 5, 2008 at 12:16 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 5:08 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by LukeMC - December 6, 2008 at 10:56 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 5, 2008 at 6:50 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by LukeMC - December 5, 2008 at 11:54 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 5, 2008 at 11:44 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 6, 2008 at 12:18 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by bozo - December 6, 2008 at 2:57 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 10, 2008 at 3:18 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 6, 2008 at 5:19 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 9:56 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 10:04 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 10:11 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 10:29 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 9, 2008 at 10:45 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 10, 2008 at 3:14 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Daystar - December 10, 2008 at 11:22 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by bozo - December 11, 2008 at 8:23 pm
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Daystar - December 13, 2008 at 11:14 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Baird - December 11, 2008 at 5:52 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by lukec - December 11, 2008 at 2:40 am
RE: Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' - by Violet - August 28, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 579 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4315 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5747 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 10154 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  My dad is proud of a lie Der/die AtheistIn 17 3550 February 19, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1324 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1407 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4474 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 9210 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15253 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman