Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If faith works how every religion says it works......
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works......
(July 31, 2010 at 2:14 pm)chasm Wrote: We already know that religions and the people that follow them are stupid.

Take Bacon, Newton and Locke for example, whom Jefferson called "the three greatest men in the world."

Not to mention many modern scientists, etc who I would guess you know nothing about.

Perhaps they contemplated questions most atheist haven't even thought about yet, e.g, how did fishermen write similies like Shakespeare?

But this I will agree with, religion is generally an evil force, often promulgated by stupid, ignorant self serving people. I guess we can both agree with Jesus about that? (Assuming he said what was attributed to him as always)

Can we also agree that stupid, narcissitic evil atheists knocked off way more innocent people than all the ignorant, stupid medieval Christians put together?

(August 7, 2010 at 5:19 am)Ace Wrote: Personaly I find religion to be the most vile thing on this planet to get involved with. Seeing as it has such a bloody past. So much wrong have come from religion but no one on this earth can mention one thing atheism is responsible for. I agree with Chasm. Religion is stupid and I truly think that only fools follow it.
Sorry but that is how I feel about it. It's not a personal thing you understand. Just because I think you have to be a fool to follow any religion doesn't mean I think you're dumb or anything. Just foolish.
Religion has an unforgivable past.

"Feel" is the operatve word there I think, and it is quite personal I suspect, or at least reactionary.

Religion, per se, is vile. Jesus said it was vile too, using bitter sarcasm actually. Its one of the main reasons I love him so much, as any rational person who hates opression would IMHO

Has it occurred to you that the "Enlightenment" was led entirely by Bible-savvy Protestant Christians?

Has it ever occured to you that medieval Chrsistians knew virtually nothing of what Jesus said, e.g. what to do with heretics? (Nothing)

Was it Paine who stopped the Salem witch trials? Was it Robispierre who ended bloodletting in France, or was it he who murdered more skeptics than the king did?

Were the abolitionists Christians or "rational thinkers"? Who did they most quote in their writings? Who came out against slavery first? Voltaire or the Quakers and Methodists (Bible worms)?

What does Jesus mission statement in Luke 4 say about what he came to do?

Lets do talk about Christian history, making the intelligent, fair and rational distinction between those who knew what Jesus said and those who did not, or who obviously did the opposite of what he said. Is that a reasonable request?

Messages In This Thread
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works...... - by RAD - August 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every person is religious Ahriman 289 13898 November 2, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: no one
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3999 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3326 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1289 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 992 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11981 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5727 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13731 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Every Apologetic Argument Ever YahwehIsTheWay 21 2802 December 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4575 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda