Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If faith works how every religion says it works......
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works......
(August 13, 2010 at 11:10 am)Thor Wrote: Christian revivals "changed the world"? How? And what evidence do you have that supports this claim?

I guess you didn't even read Franklin's autobiography, let alone Stead on the Wales revival. Without looking it up, what did Franklin say about the effect of Whitefield's preaching? Actually Fox, Wesley and Whitefield are substantially responsible for the American colonial democratic spirit, because they gave the lowly a voice no one else did (The evidence is in a recent book)

Quote:Ironic how Christianity was an impediment to scientific advancement for centuries, and you want to have Christianity take credit for the Enlghtenment....

Funny it didn't slow Newton down much, or Bacon or Locke when it came to "the physical and moral sciences" according to Jefferson. Or were you speaking of the few cases where Catholics, totally ignorant of the Bible, slowed it down? But that's all you've read about. I understand.

Quote:My conclusions are always fair, balanced and rational.Because they are based on evidence, reason and logic.

If that were true, you could distinguish between the Baby and the bathwater, like all the founders did

Quote:Not on the scribblings of ancient goat herders.

Who somehow wrote similies like Shakespeare (better ones IMO)

Quote:No, I'm merely taking what the Bible says and running with it.

I noticed you do that only until it doesn't fit your agenda. As when I said "the demons believe and tremble" and had your argument beat, you said it was all made up anyway. Nice

Quote:There goes my rationalization meter again...

You guys broke mine already. Read my "contradictions" thread if you want to see rationalization gone wild.

Quote:So you would never ask "Jesus" to give sight to all the blind people in the world?

No, and come to think of it, what did God get for doing all those miracles for the Israelites? A bunch of whining. So no, just working miracles without demanding anything in return is foolish.

Quote:So you don't have faith in "Jesus"? Confused Fall

Not much, no. Just enough to believe 95% of the New Testament, and that Jesus is the only way, primarily because he hands out righteousness to those who can't meet God's righteous and just standard. As I said, we haven't really tried Christianity

Quote:How can YOU possibly know what is or isn't the will of Jesus?

I do my best, unlike yourself and about 95% of a world lost in sin, religion or other useless self-help philosophies.

Quote:Gee, I don't know.... millions upon millions of converts. The thanks of all the people who were previously blind. Happiness from seeing the joy he has created. It would sure show us atheists a thing or two.

You mean atheists would all serve him and do everything he told his disciples? I think not. "The demons believe and tremble." Well at least they tremble.ROFLOL

Quote:So.... Jesus shouldn't restore sight to the blind because then people with missing limbs will "whine"? By this logic, doctors who travel to remote areas shouldn't treat anybody because the people they can't treat will whine. Yeah, if EVERYBODY can't be cured, then NOBODY should be cured!

Bad ananlogy. In fact it proves my point. The doctors are working very hard. All I have to do is pray once. So obviously people would be demanding I pray for everything else and calling me cruel if I didn't Right? Just like you are doing. It's a riot.

Quote:So you accept anecdotal bullshit when it supports what you want to believe.
Like virtually all atheists reading Skeptics.org history lessons- where you read total nonsense about who led the Enlightenment, lap it up and say "we make fair and rational judgements. It's frightening to think you are the "rational" and "fair" members of society. It means we are more lost than even I thought. You know its amazing how many people you have to accuse of lying to make your case. I don't have to do that at all.

Quote:but when the Bible is questioned you want to impose courtroom standards?

Why not? Wouldn't that produce a far more more objective evaluation of the truth?

You would "probably" do whatever Jesus asked? Still hedging I see.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If faith works how every religion says it works...... - by RAD - August 14, 2010 at 11:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every person is religious Ahriman 289 14230 November 2, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: no one
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 4041 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3376 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1301 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 995 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12026 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5758 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13917 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Every Apologetic Argument Ever YahwehIsTheWay 21 2826 December 1, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4602 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda