Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion?
RE: Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion?
(May 16, 2015 at 10:06 am)Hatshepsut Wrote:
(May 16, 2015 at 8:57 am)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, the counter doesn't actually address the statement....so calling it a counter is a bit of an exaggeration, I think.
(May 16, 2015 at 9:01 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't know why anyone needs testing or rewarding. He's just fucking around for his own amusement. Well, I'm not amused.

I think the question of whether merit, or earned status, exists in a "benevolent" world is quite legitimate. Americans generally consider "advancing from humble beginnings to success through hard work" a great virtue. Sure, the Horatio Alger myth glosses over a lot of the rigid class structure actually seen in the USA, yet a society without incentives stagnates. As eastern Europe did back in the Warsaw Pact days, when the shelves in the store were all empty, except that one bin that had a glut of shoddy boots.

Because I'm not an authority on God, I don't know whether deity tests people or not. In some theologies, it does, in others, it refrains. Some of the tests which have been postulated over the years are clearly petty or cruel. The truth of that still doesn't affect how we humans do seem to get stronger and more competent by overcoming challenges. We don't get physically fit by sitting on our rumps. Which means I'd better get out for my walk today, as soon as it stops raining....  Wink
Sure, merit, earned status, all important things to wonder about, to opine upon...however, none of that will change the brute fact that -if- someone believes that there is a heaven, this is simply not the best possible world, end of.  Unless they think heaven blows....of course.   That's why it's not so much a counter as a meandering away from a gordian knot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? - by The Grand Nudger - May 17, 2015 at 6:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1386 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 9439 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Look! Nothing! YahwehIsTheWay 1 539 November 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 2071 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8486 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5452 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 62466 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 15036 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8481 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is it possible to avoid masterbation or nocturnal emission if you aren't married ? The Wise Joker 63 9909 January 31, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye