Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 10:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impeachment process in the United States
Impeachment process in the United States
For those who don't have a general understanding of how the impeachment process works here in the US, I've put together this handy little guide. This is also for anyone who thinks that the current sitting president should just be told by millions of people to "get out" or to shut up, because we all know he won't. And we all know no one will take away his Twitter account. So exactly what needs to happen for his complete removal from office? See below: 

Presidential Impeachment: The legal standard and procedure

Quote:Article I § 2 of the United States Constitution gives the House of Representatives the sole power to impeach (make formal charges against) and Article I § 3 gives the Senate the sole power to try impeachments. Article II § 4 of the Constitution provides as follows:

"The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

Article 1 § 3 states as follows:
Quote:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

So you need two thirds of the members of Senate to agree. Quite a feat if the majority ruling party is the same as that of the current POTUS. It's going to be a lot harder to get them all to agree to impeach him. And even if you do get an impeachment there's this news: 

The senate also has the right to acquit a person from impeachment. Such was the case with both former presidents Clinton and Andrew Johnson; the only two presidents to ever have been impeached.

So yeah, 45 could technically be impeached, but then the strong possibility of nothing happening to him is high, due to the very real possibility of him getting acquitted by the senate. You cannot simply wish a corrupt president away. Nor can you have all his supporters tell him to stand down or be quiet. It just doesn't work that way. The sooner people understand this, the better off they will be.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Messages In This Thread
Impeachment process in the United States - by Joods - October 31, 2017 at 7:41 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Aroura - October 31, 2017 at 8:09 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Brian37 - October 31, 2017 at 8:14 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by vorlon13 - October 31, 2017 at 9:11 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by henryp - October 31, 2017 at 9:29 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Brian37 - October 31, 2017 at 9:48 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by henryp - October 31, 2017 at 12:00 pm
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Brian37 - October 31, 2017 at 2:13 pm
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by henryp - October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Brian37 - October 31, 2017 at 9:56 am
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by Joods - October 31, 2017 at 5:18 pm
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by vorlon13 - October 31, 2017 at 4:49 pm
RE: Impeachment process in the United States - by vorlon13 - October 31, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4086 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1171 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3783 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3315 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Biden Impeachment onlinebiker 32 1814 November 8, 2020 at 10:55 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2630 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dems announce articles of impeachment against Trump Rev. Rye 16 1545 December 18, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Ego of Impeachment onlinebiker 48 3555 December 18, 2019 at 11:09 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Impeachment Update onlinebiker 50 3714 December 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pelosi announces impeachment investigation. onlinebiker 41 5238 October 7, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Figbash